NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

New feature in MFN-1 - Depth Chart Overrides

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
3/01/2014 4:19 pm
Hey all!

New feature pushed to the beta branch - depth chart overrides. You will see it under the depth chart, to the right of the special teams depth chart.

What it gives you is an interface where you can drag players into positions based on formation and situation. If you have overrides set then the player will be colored in red; if it's the default player, he will be yellow. The default is based on your current depth chart, without consideration as to whether a player is active or not - so bear that in mind as you play with it.

An example of where this could be useful is on 3rd/4th and short you might put in a beefy running back (or TE, or do a Refrigerator Perry thing and throw in a heavy DT!), or sub in a pass rushing DE on passing downs who you keep off the field otherwise.

I'm curious to hear feedback as to how well you feel the interface works, and would love to hear reports of you guys using it and what happened (without compromising any strategy secrets you don't want to reveal).

Re: New feature in MFN-1 - Depth Chart Overrides

By Firefly
3/01/2014 7:05 pm
This is great! It's a bit buggy at the moment, though. First screen I looked at had players not on my team, and every time I clicked on one of them his info would disappear one line at a time.

Odd, right?

OTOH, I was able to drag players into spots ok. Only thing I couldn't do was move or remove them once placed. In fact, it's possible to have the same player at all 11 positions!

3/01/2014 11:02 pm
Nice catch on the clicking - I hadn't done that when I tested it. Weird, I'll have to figure out why it's doing that. It doesn't appear to effect it, though. You can reset the view by changing the options (i.e. turn one of the checkboxes off and then back on again)

The default depth chart should be fixed and show you your team now - let me know if it doesn't.

To remove players you need to use the "reset" button, which should only reset the options you're currently looking at. I hadn't thought about preventing you from assigning the same player to multiple positions (he would only actually be assigned to one, then the defaults would get placed into the other positions - in fact, the overrides still abide by the same rules as the regular depth chart in terms of fatigue and injures). That does make sense to remove the player from any existing locations if you put him into another position.

By Firefly
3/03/2014 11:31 am
Yeah, it's sweet now

3/03/2014 12:02 pm
Awesome! Let me know if you have any other ideas to make it better or make more sense. I just went through and assigned my best pass-rushing DE to passing downs ... pretty cool to be able to do that now.