NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Team News

BREAKING: Cleveland acquires QB Shaw

By JCSwishMan33
12/09/2015 5:05 pm
Berea, OHIO --- The "Johnny Football" era in Cleveland might be sunsetting, but the new Elvis might have just entered the building.

Cleveland pulled off what can be solidly called a blockbuster trade, acquiring rookie signal-caller Ron Shaw from San Diego for a first-round Draft pick in 2027, and a fifth-round pick in 2028. In a day where there were other moves heavily scrutinized by the league offices, this somewhat unusual trade was met with no resistance.

"While it's not normal for a transaction of this nature to occur, it's not unheard of," a league official stated, speaking under condition of anonymity. "The trade value was fair and equitable, and we felt no need to delay the transaction."

GM Jeff Coleman lauded the windfall at the press conference to announce Shaw's arrival to Cleveland.

"It's not everyday you get an opportunity like this," he stated. "We found out that San Diego was willing to hear offers, and had an idea what they would be asking for. We had an extra first-round pick in 2027, which really drove us to be aggressive in our discussions." Coleman did express some hesitance in parting with the fifth-round pick, citing the recent examples of CB Bruce Glasper and MLB Mark Canada as 'diamonds in the rough' that can come from that late in the Draft. However, he followed up by stating that the chance to get Shaw was, "one you just can't pass up on because of a 'maybe' in 3 years."

Shaw then took the microphone, thanking San Diego and its fans for giving him an (albeit) brief opportunity to prove his worth, then shifting to his upcoming time in Cleveland and the opportunity to learn under incumbent starter John Lyons.

"I really got a chance to watch John play in his time in Arizona," Shaw said, "and he was just an amazing talent to see. I knew he was a guy I could model myself after, and now to be able to learn the ropes of the pros under him... It's like a dream come true."

Shaw laughed at a follow-up question about his lack of scrambling ability being nowhere close to Lyons.

"I've learned early on that there are some aspects of the game I'm... Definitely not the best at. But, I know the kind of player I am, and I'm confident I can give 110% no matter what." He also stated that the coaches are already helping him work with all the tools in his arsenal. When later interviewed, QBs coach Jeffrey Officer stated unequivocally that Shaw's lack of mobility is a 'non-issue' when it came to his whole body of work, and that Shaw 'had all the makings of an elite pocket passer'.

"His (Shaw's) football IQ is tremendous. He combines that with an already above-average overview of the field, insane ability to rattle a defense, and a gorgeous touch on a cannon arm." Shaw's main knock coming out of college was his below-standard accuracy, but Officer feels that was due to scheme.

"'Nova's coaching staff turned over a couple years ago, and they went to this hybrid run-and-gun offense. Shaw was asked to do a lot of throwing on the move, and that killed his accuracy. But we feel that if we can establish his pocket presence, and have him set enough with his throws, his accuracy will rebound where we project."

To make room for Shaw on the current roster, Cleveland released QB Carlos Sears.

Re: BREAKING: Cleveland acquires QB Shaw

By Black Adder
12/10/2015 11:26 am
Great write up Jeff,it was as if I was there listening to Shaw at the podium,whilst through the window,watching the snow fall..

ps I`d love the phone number of the blonde cheerleader who was in attendance at the presentation,really flexible and incredible legs!

By Davesgang
12/10/2015 11:38 am
Good luck to Shaw and Cleveland. San Diego believes he will develop into a great pocket passing QB, and has already put up great numbers in preseason. The Chargers had some confusion in the front office at draft time, and didn't intend on crowding a already full QB competition. Plus Chavez has the inside track because of local name recognition!

By DarkRogue
12/10/2015 1:07 pm
Congrats, I look forward to many good battles between Shaw and Mitchell Reece in the battle of Ohio twice a season. The Cincinnatti offense will really start turning the corner this season or next, but our defensive talent still has a long way to go.

By JCSwishMan33
12/10/2015 8:28 pm
Glad I could provide a little entertainment. It's fun to do some writing again.

@Black Adder: I know which one you're talking about... I think she's dating this guy: http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/player/9342 Heh.

@Davesgang: Hey, I'm not unwilling to take advantage of another team's confusion... Err... Help a team with some needs. ;) Good luck to Chavez, and I hope the fans give him the local boy a chance!

@DarkRogue: Maybe we can have a legit rivalry in the AC North? Our offense is going to be a bit of a work in progress. We've got some young, up-and-coming skill players that may or may not start out of the gate, but our line is a MASH unit right now. Not a good thing. A few stand-outs on defense, too... But the next year or two looks to be a reloading process there.

By jsid
12/11/2015 3:33 am
If this game is striving to be a realistic NFL sim, I feel like QBs' ratings should drop 15-20 points upon signing with Cleveland.

By Black Adder
12/11/2015 6:51 am
@Black Adder: I know which one you're talking about... I think she's dating this guy: http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/player/9342 Heh.

Ah.... thanks for the heads up...I see in his Transactions it says ....Screwing "Head Cheerleader" Miss Chastity Jackman....!

If this game is striving to be a realistic NFL sim, I feel like QBs' ratings should drop 15-20 points upon signing with Cleveland.

And his "Blurred Vision" rating needs to be at 100 as soon as he arrives at the stadium...hic hic...
Last edited at 12/11/2015 6:56 am

By WarEagle
12/11/2015 8:56 am
jsid wrote:

Ha!