NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Team News

Re: Off-Season report: Barta retires, replacement found?

By Mr.Krazy
2/03/2016 8:18 pm
Dallas, TX- As the off-season hit, a true Cowboy legend has decided to retire as SS Roderick Barta decided to hang up the cleats after 12 consecutive season with Dallas. Picked up in the 3rd round in the 2014 MFN draft, Barta got into the draft after deciding not to attend college after a solid high school career performance in his senior year in high school, which led to Dallas picking him up.

Barta has played solid as a Strong Safety, being listed as Dallas's #1 SS in franchise history, setting multiple All-Time team franchise records. In his 12 years at SS, Barta is currently the All-Time Team leader in snaps taken with 10,907 plays he participated in, All-Time team leader in tackles with 888, leads All-Time team sacks in the SS category with 7, 2nd All-Time in Dallas history of pass knockdowns (71) and interceptions (24) as well as interception returned for touchdowns (2). He leads all Safeties that have ever played with the Dallas franchise in all categories and is also All-time team leader in tackles in a season with 126. Only 315 passes out of 844 passes were complete when QB's threw against him, making the QB completion rating against Barta over his entire career 37%.

League wise, Barta is 7th All-time in SS tackles (888) and sacks (7), 5th All-Time in SS pass knockdowns (71), and 7th in SS interceptions (24). Roderick Barta will forever be regarded as the best SS ever for the Dallas Franchise and a top 10 all time Strong Safeties in MFN history.

Roderick Barta held a retirement conference this past monday "I would like to sincerely thank everyone who believed I could make it into the big leagues and i couldn't be more proud to play for a team like Dallas. I had my good years and I had my bad years with this team, but nonetheless, I couldn't have been more proud the way my career has unfolded, especially towards the end. I couldn't do it without my teamates, they were always there for me, pushing me to go further and teaching me the ways of leadership, and I have exceeded my responsibilities to using that leadership, not only to build my character, but to help build the future stars of a player's character. Thank you Dallas! Cowboy up!"

Barta decided to not have his number retired as he firmly believes the next man to step up should continue to build upon that legacy the number 26 holds.

Along with Barta retired Long time Kicker Paul Mitchell, who was picked up in the 5th round of 2014 from West Texas A&M and had a very successful career as Dallas's primary kicker for 12 years making over 85% of his field goals with making 425 of them. He was 78% on making 40+ field goals and 76% on making 50+ field goals over the course of his career with his longest field goal being a massive 59 yarder.

"Its been a fun run with this team over the course of my career and i'm glad to always be apart of this franchise." Said Mitchell. "I hope the next Kicker to fill my shoes will have luck on his side and have a successful career just like I did."

With these two retirements, the Dallas Cowboys front office started their search for the next man up to fill 'the legends shoes' as they like to call it, and one trade from New Jersey helped solve the issue of the next man up. On Wednesday, a call came in from the New Jersey Jets franchise requesting a trade In which Dallas accepted acquiring 6 year pro SS Reginald King along with some possible young talent in the draft sending a 2nd round and a 5th round pick. Over the past 3 seasons, King has gotten an average of 60+ tackles, 10 pass knockdowns, and 2 interceptions per season. While it may look like he is 'the next man up' for SS, we will not know for sure how he will fit into Dallas's Scheme until play time. And of course this trade did not come without losing some value as Dallas sent starting RG Vincent Dudley to New Jersey as well as their 2nd round pick. "We will miss Dudley dearly as he is a helluva player" Said Head Coach Kyle Davis, "I agreed with the owner that this was the best decision moving forward so we wish Dudley the best of luck in New Jersey as he's going to one badass team.

And moving forward is the phrase that echoes around Cowboy country as everyone all looks forward to the outcome of free agency and the draft. Is this the draft where Dallas finally finds their future franchise QB in what is a quarterback friendly draft class? Will Dallas be able to bolster up a thin offensive line before Training Camp begins? Whats next for Dallas's defense moving forward? These questions will be answered in the following weeks leading up to the end of free agency and the draft. Until then, Cowboy up!
Last edited at 2/03/2016 8:24 pm