I sent Jon a message that said I would try to put together a list of things that I believe could be documented better on the site.
My first step is to make a confession: I have not watched the tour. I do not plan on watching the tour.
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I hate
video-based documentation. It's not quick to scan, it's hard to go back to review, and I can't copy and paste a specific section to someone to help explain things.
Having said that, perhaps others can weigh in on the topic. I know the video tutorials are much easier to create, and offer the ability to perhaps explain things better in some cases (for instance, I assume the gameplanning is much easier to explain through video).
Even if there was no addition of documentation, I think the existing documentation could be much easier to find. Once you are in your league, there are no links to it. Even if the "tour" link remained, I would love to see some contextual links to the existing documentation. If I am on the game planning page, provide a help link that goes to the game planning video.
In addition to the contextual video help, I think some text help would be beneficial. Some pages in particular could use a blurb at the top of the page, or perhaps a "help" link that accordions or pops up some help.
I told Jon I would try to come up with a list of the sections I believed could use more explanation, but it seems even better to use this league as leverage for some group think (and perhaps some help for Jon in how to word things) on those items. What I can think of off the top of my head:
- Explanation of Cur/Fut/Rat
- Explanation (or improvement of) color bands. I understand their intention, but are they helping anyone? Perhaps a color key?
- Game planning - I actually think the short description here helps a lot, this is the sort of thing I would like to see more often. Just wanted to drop that in here. :) I would love to see a coach generated gameplan, though.
- Misc gameplan options: Definitely need more explanation here, especially per the discussion we had last week regarding the hurry up logic
- Playbook: The first time I came to the site and started to setup my team I got to the playbook and closed the site. It's a bit overwhelming for a noob like myself. The first thing I freaked out about was "OMG I need to choose all my plays?!". It turns out that you don't. If you don't setup a playbook your team does not sit in a huddle trying to figure out what to do. I think it would be wise to let the user know that they don't have to choose a playbook, but it is more beneficial if they do so. It seemed less overwhelming after a few weeks of looking at the scouting (to be discussed later), etc.
- Scouting: Has this blurb always been here? Perhaps I'm just too stubborn to read instructions. ;) I think this makes sense.
- Depth Chart: Again with the color coding that really means very little to the user IMO.