NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Pass & Run Blocking Updates

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/19/2016 9:35 pm
Just pushed some updates to the pass and run block code. Here are the basic details:

* Speed advantage to DE's has been turned down
* Weight now plays a bigger role in the blocking algorithm (for all blocks, not just on the line)
* The attributes for blocking now carry a bit more weight (i.e. a 100-rated pass blocker should be more effective against a lower-rated pass rusher than he was previously, all other factors being equal. However, a small 100-rated pass blocker should still have some measure of difficulty against a larger lower-rated pass rusher, which in the previous generation of code the weight was not as much of a factor)

In testing, this appears to reduce sacks and slightly improve the running game. QB's are not under as much pressure as they were previously, and should have better passing stats as a result. I haven't simmed a full season yet in testing, so there may be unintended consequences I have yet to discover. Your feedback about whether or not this seems true when watching your games tomorrow will, as always, be appreciated.

Re: Pass & Run Blocking Updates

By WarEagle
12/19/2016 10:01 pm
Thank you.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

By CCSAHARA
12/20/2016 10:47 pm
That should help with the OL. Maybe I'm old, but a team is really only as good as the OL line is. IE; in this years NFL Prescott and Elliott are getting the press for Dallas. But that OL is doing all the work to make it happen. Same thing in TN and OAK.

By raymattison21
12/23/2016 11:50 am
I am seeing a more consistent push by my oline in the run game. Some blockers are getting to the second level and sealing defenders off like they should but my veteran center of 16 years and perhaps eight total linemen are on my line...that's it .

Probably intertwined is my QB is standing strong in the pocket and delivering throws.

My smaller edge rushers seemed to get handled by offensive lines. After some play abuse they did get to ball. Still, the blend of blitzes seem to help players get there also.

By Davesgang
12/25/2016 2:15 am
In contrast look at the epic crumble of the Vikings this year. A number of oline injuries and poor play has turned What should have been a playoff winning team into torture to watch.

CCSAHARA wrote:
That should help with the OL. Maybe I'm old, but a team is really only as good as the OL line is. IE; in this years NFL Prescott and Elliott are getting the press for Dallas. But that OL is doing all the work to make it happen. Same thing in TN and OAK.

By setherick
12/27/2016 9:17 am
Through four games, it looks like pass blocking has been greatly improved. I haven't run the full numbers yet, but the average and median for sacks per game has fallen dramatically.

On the other hand, run blocking may be too strong now. Team average yards per carry has skyrocketed since last season.

So as close as we are to having good pass blocking, run blocking changes may need to be reverted if possible.

By lellow2011
12/27/2016 9:19 am
setherick wrote:
run blocking changes may need to be reverted if possible.

My team is averaging over 10 yards per carry with guys I'd consider average HBs.

By setherick
12/27/2016 9:31 am
lellow2011 wrote:
setherick wrote:

My team is averaging over 10 yards per carry with guys I'd consider average HBs.

You mean average like this guy on my team who is getting 9.9 yards per carry.

By lellow2011
12/27/2016 9:32 am
setherick wrote:
lellow2011 wrote:
setherick wrote:

Mine are more like low 80s on my ratings

By setherick
12/27/2016 10:04 am
lellow2011 wrote:
setherick wrote:
lellow2011 wrote:
setherick wrote:

Mine are more like low 80s on my ratings

The one above is a 77 in mine because of avoid fumble. If his avoid fumble was above 70, he'd probably be 82-85.