NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: UPDATE TONIGHT: DB influence, RB fatigue

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/12/2013 8:51 am
I am planning to push an update to MFN-1 before tonight's games that I've been working on over the last week. We'll see if it's ready for prime time.

Not a lot of changes, but here's the gist:

* DB knock downs now actually knock the ball down, there is far less likelihood that a tipped pass by a DB will be caught by the receiver.

* RB's will fatigue and increase in injury chances as they have more and more carries.

* Injuries in general have been turned up slightly. I'm still only getting about 4-5 injuries in my testing for the teams with the most injuries, as opposed to the 17+ we were having before.

* QB cross-field passes from the sideline should be eliminated.

The result of these changes in my testing have been teams with full season completion percentages now between 50 - about 67. The season rushing leader is still a little high as of last night, I've got some changes to hopefully help alleviate this. I'm still simming some more testing, but unless I post otherwise I plan to roll this into MFN-1 for testing with tonight's games.
Last edited at 9/12/2013 9:00 am

By ZootMurph
9/12/2013 9:37 am
Looking forward to seeing these updates.

By nero
9/13/2013 5:58 am
The biggest effect that I noticed was that YAC virtually vanished on all passes in my game.

Those changes really affected how my team ran my gameplan. We don't run inside almost ever, but this week we did quite a bit. But it does seem that the more highly rated players on defense now seem to be a bit better than before.

By ZootMurph
9/13/2013 6:32 am
http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/420#71566

Can you add the QBs cone of vision to the replays? In this play, the QB is scrambling to the right... there is a receiver WIDE open, but the QB seems to be backpedaling towards the sidelines looking across the field.

What I think should happen is this: When the QB leaves the pocket, he looks down the field at the side of the field he is running towards. The receivers, when the see the play is broken, change their routes to try to get open within the QBs field of vision (i.e. run towards the side of the field the QB is on). When the receivers get into his field of vision (or, what they THINK is his field of vision), they 1) move to an open area, and 2) move TOWARDS the QB to give him an easier throw. The QB... as he gets closer to the sideline, he gets more likely to throw it away when not finding an open receiver.

Again, this is a perfect spot for the scramble slider. How much do you want your QB to scramble and how much to throw the ball... High on the scramble side, and the QB will pull the ball down and run soon, more on the throw side, and the QB will continue to move towards the sideline and eventually throw the ball away.

9/13/2013 7:16 am
Yeah, I need to do some tweaking with that situation.

For the scramble bar, right now it's the scramble attribute that is driving the likelihood of a QB scrambling. I kind of am not too excited about giving you the ability to adjust it, because you hear all the time about coaches who wish their QB wouldn't scramble as much as he does; you tend to have your scrambling quarterbacks and your pocket quarterbacks. But as a QB matures in real life he tends to scramble less, so maybe I need to mix this with a combination of his experience that would reduce his tendency to scramble out of the pocket. Thoughts?

By outlawedz
9/13/2013 9:33 am
i think a true scramble qb is always going to use that skill no matter how long he has been in league. Its part of his game. I think if the qb is built to run he should have a tendency to scramble more. Thats the hole point of having one who can run. Now i can see once they hit like 30 years old maybe they stop running so much.

9/13/2013 9:40 am
I wonder if it would be helpful to be able to have a "negative" weight in your player attribute weight control - so if you don't want a scrambling QB, you can set his scramble skill to, say -10 or -50 or even -100, effectively giving any QB who has high scramble skill a lower score for you. Right now all you can do is keep the scramble skill score low, but you would still have to remember to check a QB's scramble skill before making the decision to pursue him if you don't want one with a high bar.

By Firefly
9/18/2013 9:50 am
I like the changes so far. The one thing I'd consider is bringing drops down a bit. Then again... I wonder how much drops are a bit higher because players aren't maxed out.

Which brings me to, I wonder how much the game play will change when most players are maxed out. I think you all know this is something that has bothered me for a while, but I only just realized why: when we started the league most veterans weren't maxed out! How come? Particularly since this is the Beta league, I think that was a mistake...

9/18/2013 9:51 am
Firefly wrote:
I like the changes so far. The one thing I'd consider is bringing drops down a bit. Then again... I wonder how much drops are a bit higher because players aren't maxed out.

Which brings me to, I wonder how much the game play will change when most players are maxed out. I think you all know this is something that has bothered me for a while, but I only just realized why: when we started the league most veterans weren't maxed out! How come? Particularly since this is the Beta league, I think that was a mistake...

The player progress did have some bugs that have been recently fixed (as recently as yesterday, ha) - so yeah, I'm hoping that the progress improves and most veterans max out in 2-3 years.

By Firefly
9/18/2013 9:53 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
Firefly wrote:

The player progress did have some bugs that have been recently fixed (as recently as yesterday, ha) - so yeah, I'm hoping that the progress improves and most veterans max out in 2-3 years.

Ahhh! Glorious...