NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Drops

By nero
10/02/2013 1:22 pm
On a superficial glance it seems that some teams are hit much harder by drops than others MIA, PIT, NYJ, AZ as compared to WAS and GB.

Before raising a stink, can you post the drops by team for this year and last?

Based on the player ratings I don't see a clear reason that this should be as it is.

Also, did anyone notice that a TE is leading the league in receiving yards? I need to understand why there are so many blocked/tipped passes happening to my team when we throw to the wideouts. My top 2 wideouts only 30 and 17 passes completed to them respectively and we're ten games into the season. The good news is that my QB has compensated and found our own version of Jimmy Graham to pick up the slack.

Re: Drops

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/02/2013 1:25 pm
nero wrote:
On a superficial glance it seems that some teams are hit much harder by drops than others MIA, PIT, NYJ, AZ as compared to WAS and GB.

Before raising a stink, can you post the drops by team for this year and last?


That will actually not be useful info, because until the sim prior to the most recent one drops were counted any time a player was in range to catch the ball but didn't, even if the reason they didn't catch the ball was because of the coverage. So drops have been higher than they should have been.

Re: Drops

By Firefly
10/04/2013 12:52 pm
nero wrote:
On a superficial glance it seems that some teams are hit much harder by drops than others MIA, PIT, NYJ, AZ as compared to WAS and GB.

Before raising a stink, can you post the drops by team for this year and last?

Based on the player ratings I don't see a clear reason that this should be as it is.

Also, did anyone notice that a TE is leading the league in receiving yards? I need to understand why there are so many blocked/tipped passes happening to my team when we throw to the wideouts. My top 2 wideouts only 30 and 17 passes completed to them respectively and we're ten games into the season. The good news is that my QB has compensated and found our own version of Jimmy Graham to pick up the slack.


On a related note, Indy's TE caught 3 TDs and 222 yards against us today. All were long catches and all came from the same play:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/566#95253

It seems that specific play against that specific defense = automatic TD. For some reason the safety doesn't cover the TE. That shouldn't happen so consistently.

Re: Drops

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/04/2013 1:08 pm
Firefly wrote:
On a related note, Indy's TE caught 3 TDs and 222 yards against us today. All were long catches and all came from the same play:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/566#95253

It seems that specific play against that specific defense = automatic TD. For some reason the safety doesn't cover the TE. That shouldn't happen so consistently.


It does look like it's the same play vs. the same play. The safety on that side is blitzing, the QB is hot reading to a quick pass to the TE and there is no one behind to make the tackle. The other safety is playing man on the other TE. Although I don't know why the safety moves laterally instead of towards the LOS if he's blitzing.

I need to add some sort of memory where the defense can pull out of the blitz if it got beat before to try to bait the QB into throwing the same pass.

And to answer the question, I have noticed that the TE's are getting too many reception yards. I'll put it in the queue to investigate and try to figure out why. It's very possible it's mostly this kind of hot reading plays.

Re: Drops

By nero
10/04/2013 1:14 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Firefly wrote:
On a related note, Indy's TE caught 3 TDs and 222 yards against us today. All were long catches and all came from the same play:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/566#95253

It seems that specific play against that specific defense = automatic TD. For some reason the safety doesn't cover the TE. That shouldn't happen so consistently.


It does look like it's the same play vs. the same play. The safety on that side is blitzing, the QB is hot reading to a quick pass to the TE and there is no one behind to make the tackle. The other safety is playing man on the other TE. Although I don't know why the safety moves laterally instead of towards the LOS if he's blitzing.

I need to add some sort of memory where the defense can pull out of the blitz if it got beat before to try to bait the QB into throwing the same pass.

And to answer the question, I have noticed that the TE's are getting too many reception yards. I'll put it in the queue to investigate and try to figure out why. It's very possible it's mostly this kind of hot reading plays.


You've noticed you say? :P

I can tell you that the answer to your question is a "no". It's not just the hot read plays. I don't have any such plays and my TE has earned all his yards in coverage, and he's leading the league in that category still.

Re: Drops

By Firefly
10/04/2013 1:17 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Firefly wrote:
On a related note, Indy's TE caught 3 TDs and 222 yards against us today. All were long catches and all came from the same play:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/566#95253

It seems that specific play against that specific defense = automatic TD. For some reason the safety doesn't cover the TE. That shouldn't happen so consistently.


It does look like it's the same play vs. the same play. The safety on that side is blitzing, the QB is hot reading to a quick pass to the TE and there is no one behind to make the tackle. The other safety is playing man on the other TE. Although I don't know why the safety moves laterally instead of towards the LOS if he's blitzing.

I need to add some sort of memory where the defense can pull out of the blitz if it got beat before to try to bait the QB into throwing the same pass.

And to answer the question, I have noticed that the TE's are getting too many reception yards. I'll put it in the queue to investigate and try to figure out why. It's very possible it's mostly this kind of hot reading plays.


Wish I had some suggestions, it looks like a tough fix

Re: Drops

By Tecra031
10/04/2013 5:40 pm
Its certainly not league-wide however. Perhaps a few of the those top rated TEs are doing extremely well, but my team is average, at best, in throwing to the TEs or them getting wide open.

Re: Drops

By Tecra031
10/04/2013 5:59 pm
On the actual topic of drops, this week's game did see quite a few wide-open drops. I am not sure if there is visibility to a drop stat line, but NJY already has 33 dropped passes this year (not sure how that compares to other teams). I absolutely get the ones in traffic or if they are pressured, but there are still a lot of wide open drops occuring.