NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

New Contract Calculator!

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/11/2013 9:31 pm
Finally ... beta version has the new contract calculator. The top part is as it was before - base + bonus and bonus % - but there is a manual override on the bottom where you can manually enter a bonus, and manually enter the base salary for each year.

Some restrictions: Base salary must increase at least 5% per year. There is a minimum bonus and a maximum bonus. I think that's about it. Let me know if you see any issues with it.

This update required a pretty significant rewrite of both this logic as well as the coach contract logic. I think the coach contract calculator is actually going to be less buggy than it was before. But let me know if anyone notices a problem with either system.

Re: New Contract Calculator!

12/12/2013 7:30 am
A couple other points in case anyone is confused about how bonuses work in regards to the salary cap - the bonus money is paid to the player when he signs the contract. This is why he'll often sign for a higher bonus when the base salary is large in the later years; the bonus he pockets right away, but you are off the hook for the base salary if you cut the player. The salary cap takes that bonus and distributes it equally across the life of the contract. If you cut the player, trade him, or he retires, his future bonus cap hit is accelerated into the following year.

When you renegotiate a player who is currently under contract, his total future bonus cap hit cannot change. So if a player has a 4-year contract with a $400,000 bonus and you renegotiate in his second year another 4-year contract with a $400,000 bonus, the $100,000 for the remaining two years of his original contract will still apply - meaning that the first two years of the new contract will each have a $200,000 bonus cap hit, followed by the last two years with a new $100,000 cap hit.

So the bonus is a double-edged sword. It will make your offer more lucrative to the player, but it also can bite you in terms of future renegotiation or cuts and trades.

12/12/2013 9:47 am
I have been notified that this update broke player notes. I'll try to get a fix for that asap.

12/13/2013 8:09 am
The issue with the notes also broke the gameplan screen. I just pushed a fix.