NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

This Loss was complete and utter garbage

By nero
1/07/2014 7:18 am
If you look at the clock in the final two minutes.

1) HOU runs a play and gets the ball to the line of scrimmage to spike..4 seconds elapse total
2) HOU runs a play and gets the ball to the line of scrimmage to spike..8 seconds elapse total
3) HOU spikes the ball with zero left on the clock, yet they still get a play.

Stuff like this won't make for paying customers. Sorry to be harsh but the catchup logic in this game is far from ready.

Re: This Loss was complete and utter garbage

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/07/2014 7:26 am
Thanks for the report, sorry it played out that way. That's code that's only in beta right now - See http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/bleeding - these kinds of bugs only will reveal themselves when there are plenty of eyes on the system. I'll check the timing for getting the spike play and make an adjustment.

nero wrote:
If you look at the clock in the final two minutes.

1) HOU runs a play and gets the ball to the line of scrimmage to spike..4 seconds elapse total
2) HOU runs a play and gets the ball to the line of scrimmage to spike..8 seconds elapse total
3) HOU spikes the ball with zero left on the clock, yet they still get a play.

Stuff like this won't make for paying customers. Sorry to be harsh but the catchup logic in this game is far from ready.

1/07/2014 7:48 am
There were a couple of issues here, first - the spike play was not running enough time off the clock, but second, a recent update I made to the 2-minute offense prevented Houston from taking a timeout for the field goal. So in this particular case, had the clock management worked correctly, the result would have still been the same number of plays - he burned the last 32 seconds to run the clock down for the field goal that would should have been applied to his two spike plays. The final play was also pushing the time too close to 0 - but the play actually happened at 0:01 according to the game log, so it was a rendering issue in the game center combined with the offense letting the clock get closer to 0:00 than they should have.

By nero
1/07/2014 7:49 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
There were a couple of issues here, first - the spike play was not running enough time off the clock, but second, a recent update I made to the 2-minute offense prevented Houston from taking a timeout for the field goal. So in this particular case, had the clock management worked correctly, the result would have still been the same number of plays - he burned the last 32 seconds to run the clock down for the field goal that would should have been applied to his two spike plays. The final play was also pushing the time too close to 0 - but the play actually happened at 0:01 according to the game log, so it was a rendering issue in the game center combined with the offense letting the clock get closer to 0:00 than they should have.

Still...they probably got off 2x as many plays as they would have been able to get in the NFL without having gone out of bounds.

By Firefly
1/07/2014 11:26 am
nero wrote:
.they probably got off 2x as many plays as they would have been able to get in the NFL without having gone out of bounds.

I've had this feeling before, that teams are too good at managing the clock in the two-minute offense, but I don't know if it's true.

The reason I was going to post, however, is that I opened the box score to see how the Miami-Houston game went and I found conflicting info: The Scoring summary says Houston scored the last 25 points in the game, but the Drive chart says Miami scored a TD with 4 min left in the game and that Houston only scored.

If it's the first, I feel for you, Nero, that'd be the second 2nd half meltdown in the playoffs your team's had.

By nero
1/07/2014 12:51 pm
Firefly wrote:

If it's the first, I feel for you, Nero, that'd be the second 2nd half meltdown in the playoffs your team's had.

In this league...my history is full of them, but none this bad.

1/07/2014 1:37 pm
I'm not sure why exactly teams are being as successful at coming from behind as the are, there's nothing really that changes when you go into hurry up other than you stop calling run plays. It's definitely possible that the hurry up offense is able to get plays off too frequently - I'm going to spend some time and study end of game hurry up instances to see how much time really does go off the clock from the end of one play to the start of the next. Houston had a successful onside kick which helped fuel the comeback, it's possible that those are too likely to be successful, I probably have enough data now to run some numbers. The 80-yard touchdown looks like it came against a goal line defense, which it looks like Miami didn't have any standard defense personnel plays in the game plan, which suddenly I realized that you don't have any information about that... yikes.

I've started writing out the next generation of game planning, it will include more control over the defensive personnel decisions. I didn't realize that right now there is no feedback about defensive personnel at all. Once I have something more solid I'm going to post it in the Beta forum for feedback before I actually start coding it, but some of this end-of-game logic is probably due to poor defensive calls.

By nero
1/07/2014 1:42 pm
This isn't new though...we've talked about the defenses falling apart with under 2 minutes left in either half.

But yes...the onside kick recovery percentage is well above what it should be.

1/07/2014 1:48 pm
nero wrote:
This isn't new though...we've talked about the defenses falling apart with under 2 minutes left in either half.

I know it's not new, but I've not yet come up with a reason why it happens.

By nero
1/07/2014 1:48 pm
Because you know your team will always be playing from behind :P