Some very exciting news, the game engine has received a significant update that will begin testing here in MFN-1 starting with the first pre-season week! I have one feature that has not yet made the cut as being stable enough for use, but I'm hoping that it will be ready for the regular season so we can see how it impacts a full season's worth of stats.
Without further ado, here is what is new:
* The tipped ball algorithm - whether by a receiver or a defender - has been revisited to be more realistic in the direction the ball gets tipped.
* Long field goals are no longer automatic. I discovered a logic flaw that allowed the strength of the kick to be higher than it should be.
* Penalty frequency has been increased to produce stats more in keeping with real life.
Those are the small items. This next section is pretty huge, and I think is going to solve some significant issues with the passing game:
* QB Read Progression has been rewritten. Wide Receivers should now lead the league in receptions, and your #1 WR should get the most targets on your team.
* Man-to-man coverage has also been rewritten. A defender's man-to-man now is compared to a receiver's route running skill to determine how well the defender is able to run with the receiver. The defenders who have an edge will play on top of the receiver instead of playing a distance off of him, thus reducing the likelihood that the receiver will be targeted.
* QB passing logic has been expanded in terms of where he will throw the ball. Previously, there was an optimal location for the catch to be made, and a decision of how open the receiver was. This has been updated so that the quarterback may throw to a non-optimal location to give the receiver a better chance to catch the ball without risking a defender from being able to make a play on the ball. This is influenced by his experience, and of course his accuracy in terms of getting the ball to its target.
I'll post once the final huge feature has been completed and successfully tested, which I'm about as excited about as I am the passing updates. I look forward to hearing your feedback especially once the games start!