NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Kick return TDs

By Cork55
5/29/2015 8:51 pm
It seems like we are getting a ton of kick off and punt return touchdowns. Having looked at these players a bit closer, it seems like the coverage is converging on the returner a bit early and leaving the outside lanes completely open. Perhaps the defense should stay in their lanes a bit longer before converging to the middle.

Thoughts?

Also, does the game support blocked kicks/punts? I don't recall seeing any stats for those.

Re: Kick return TDs

By RLWJR
5/29/2015 11:02 pm
I have seen blocked field goals and extra points. I even saw a fake FG or extra point on one of my teams their current season. Don't know for sure if it was a fake, or the snap was fumbled and the holder just tried to run with it.

On returns though, if the KO team is converging too fast, that is more than made up for by the lack of vision in the return men to bounce it outside to gain ridiculous amounts of yardage. It may not be the best for realism, but it works for me. Personally, I haven't seen what I would call an inordinate amount of returns for TDs.

By Sardean
5/30/2015 4:48 am
RLWJR wrote:
I have seen blocked field goals and extra points. I even saw a fake FG or extra point on one of my teams their current season. Don't know for sure if it was a fake, or the snap was fumbled and the holder just tried to run with it.

On returns though, if the KO team is converging too fast, that is more than made up for by the lack of vision in the return men to bounce it outside to gain ridiculous amounts of yardage. It may not be the best for realism, but it works for me. Personally, I haven't seen what I would call an inordinate amount of returns for TDs.

you havent played me yet lmao

By Cork55
5/30/2015 8:17 am
RLWJR wrote:

Look at the league totals. There are 20+ KO and PR for TDs. Now take a look at what happens in the NFL and you will see that this game has way too many return TDs. If the goal is to try to model the NFL, then this is a valid concern. if not, then all is fine.

By Wolfpack
5/30/2015 9:43 am
Most teams are also playing their stud RB/WR at the return positions also, which the NFL doesn't typically do. That will account for some performance. Perhaps increase injury % on returns?

I think the issue is also that the blocks are held for a long time.

By Thor
6/01/2015 9:29 am
Who is playing on the kickoff/punt teams? Do the teams giving up TDs have players with low speed, tackle ability, etc. covering kicks?

Do the teams returning them for TDs have good blockers on the return units?

I think if you just let the AI set your depth chart for these positions (or any), you can be taken advantage of by someone who uses some sort of strategy when setting theirs.