NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Bug Box

Pass Interference

By warrior462
1/02/2020 7:18 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/log/10749

The pass interference calls in this game need some sort of explanation. I will be the first to admit that a lot of my secondary is really bad, however, this didn't seem to be the root cause of this. TEN instances of pass interference were called on my defense, handing over eight first downs off penalties. Five of those ten calls went against Pinkerton, who is among the best few CB's I've ever seen in this game, with a 98 discipline rating. I sometimes wonder if discipline is tied at all to penalties in the code.

Re: Pass Interference

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/02/2020 9:33 am
It is, but also pass interference is increased with a DB getting beat - I'd be curious to see his M2M vs the WR's route running skills in these instances. That said, perhaps the PI calls (and penalties in general) should give more weight to discipline, ten PI calls for someone with 98 discipline does seem extreme even if he is getting beat a lot.

Re: Pass Interference

By raymattison21
1/02/2020 11:09 am
There was so many abused plays that the data is almost unusable. I had similar results vs. Houston but it was less cause we abused less plays. Those PI calls late in this game are because of the passing changes 4.4 and on. I actually played one guy(TE converted to WR)a particular way only cause his low bump, high speed and route would draw a target but bump slowed him so much it always was a pass into a tight window. It resulted in several PI calls for 1st downs a game.

The PI calls late in this game had to be using way different numbers than on the players card, but one consistent part was the wrs route compared to pinkertons man. it was a few point higher
than the db man , but who knows the numbers after the overuse penalty is applied.

i honestly wish these overuse penalties were gone...just for testing purposes. Clearly both teams were abusing the systems as you never see such unbalance in nfl games any way. I just feel updates in other area calls for a adjustment in the overuse penalty.

I kinda think its a bit real....all these PI calls. Not the amount, of course, but the defense played alot of man coverage. Way more than any real team, and with calls within that scheme were kinda of obvious.... especially later in the game. A real dbs only chance is to tug and hold on to the wr cause he got to be spent physically just chasing guys around all day.

This is one reason zone is almost a predominant defensive call in the nfl...just cause your saving a bit more energy simlpy by running less each snap. The big problem here is evaluation is so tough cause the offense passed everytime and abused even more plays. No balance at all.

Its the actual abuse penalties pushing the results out of acceptable ranges. Highlighting the Slight weakness in the PI code ever since 4.4 changes. Here zone calls rarely result in a PI call...you actually get more vs. the offense in those senerios. Man is completely the othe away around has been since 4.4 when the value of bump went through the roof.

All these weird anomiles and many others are tied to that time when they first showed any signs of possibly being far off.