NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Bug Box

Punt Block for a touchback?

By TarquinTheDark
1/04/2020 12:20 pm
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10764#1966440

Finally got a couple of PB's here, but I think the ref's rule interpretation may be a little off ...

Re: Punt Block for a touchback?

By CrazySexyBeast
7/04/2020 6:39 pm
Doesn't a touch back from the ball going out of the OFF end zone result in the ball being placed at the blocking team's 20?
25?
Am I missing the obvious? If so, please hammer me with it.
Trying to catch up and be useful :)

By TarquinTheDark
7/04/2020 11:40 pm
I don't believe it's a touch back. It should be a safety.

The ball is not dead at the last moment of playback, therefore either the play should continue, or the ball bounced out of bounds.

NFL 2019 11-5-1 should be the rule that applies.

It is a Safety:
(b) when an impetus by a team sends the ball behind its own goal line, and the ball is dead in the end zone in its possession or the ball is out of bounds behind the goal line.

Madden makes this call the same way, but that doesn't make it correct. We should be better than Madden.

By TarquinTheDark
7/04/2020 11:45 pm
If it is a dead ball, then

NFL 2019 7-2-1:
(k) when a loose ball comes to rest anywhere in the field, and no player attempts to recover it; the official covering the play should pause momentarily before signaling that the ball is dead. Any legal (or illegal) kick is awarded to the receivers, and any other ball is awarded to the team last in possession. When awarded to a team behind a goal line, the ball is placed on the one-yard line.

By raymattison21
7/05/2020 9:24 am
TarquinTheDark wrote:
If it is a dead ball, then

NFL 2019 7-2-1:
(k) when a loose ball comes to rest anywhere in the field, and no player attempts to recover it; the official covering the play should pause momentarily before signaling that the ball is dead. Any legal (or illegal) kick is awarded to the receivers, and any other ball is awarded to the team last in possession. When awarded to a team behind a goal line, the ball is placed on the one-yard line.

The ball could have stayed live bouncing around the end zone, but it was whistled dead crossing the end zone line. I dont think thats correct.

The punter can run outof bounds in the endzone for a safety. Here a block sent the ball on the same course. The only difference here is that impetus...the blocked kick, but as long as no one bats the ball some beneficial direction on purpose the rules say its a safety to me.