NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Bug Box

Auto Depth Chart Issues

By JCSwishMan33
6/15/2016 9:27 am
While trying to figure out why my kicking game failed me this past game (I lost by 1... With a missed FG and XP), I discovered that one of my SS was actually kicking, though I have an active kicker. Doing more research, I found he had actually kicked in the game before as well.

Trying to figure out why, I realized that I have my weights in such a way that my SS actually has a touch higher Future rating as a kicker than my actual kicker does (despite utterly terrible kicking skills). I Auto Depth Chart by Futures, to get my younger (but potentially better) players more playing time.

I'm not sure if this is just something in the Special Teams... But is there any way to have the Auto Depth Chart take into account the actual position of the player when setting the depth chart, especially when considering the Futures rating?

Re: Auto Depth Chart Issues

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/15/2016 9:46 am
You might check your kicker attribute weights to make sure they are set correctly, how does your SS have a better future rating than your kicker?

By JCSwishMan33
6/15/2016 10:12 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
You might check your kicker attribute weights to make sure they are set correctly, how does your SS have a better future rating than your kicker?

So for all my players, I have max weight in the stats that I've not seen change over time (Max Speed, Acceleration, Strength, Intelligence, Discipline). Then I have max weights set per position.

So my kicker has max weights on Kick Strength and Accuracy, and 0 in every other positional stat.

My SS position has max weights in only Tackle Ability, Strip Ball, Run Defense, Punish Receiver, Zone and Man-To-Man Coverage... 0 in every other positional stat.

So what's happening is my SS has higher 'intangibles' than my kicker, along with faint kicking abilities... So his Future rating is -technically- higher than my kicker's, but nowhere as high as his rating at SS (the position he's actually at).

By ibblacklavender02
6/15/2016 10:24 am
I just made a post about this....I was wondering why you had that guy kicking...

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/15/2016 10:37 am
You might turn down the score for max speed, acceleration, strength, intelligence, and discipline for your kicker. By your definition of the weights you are setting your safety to be a better kicker than your kicker - a kicker's max speed probably isn't as important as his kick accuracy, for example. The default for those attributes is 20, because while it's good to have a kicker with those attributes you don't want them to trump his kicking skills since the only real reason he's on your team is to kick, not to chase down ballcarriers and tackle them.

By JCSwishMan33
6/15/2016 10:37 am
ibblacklavender02 wrote:
I just made a post about this....I was wondering why you had that guy kicking...

Was DEFINITELY not my intent. Heh. Probably could've taken the last 2 games if I'd known.

By JCSwishMan33
6/15/2016 10:42 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
You might turn down the score for max speed, acceleration, strength, intelligence, and discipline for your kicker. By your definition of the weights you are setting your safety to be a better kicker than your kicker - a kicker's max speed probably isn't as important as his kick accuracy, for example. The default for those attributes is 20, because while it's good to have a kicker with those attributes you don't want them to trump his kicking skills since the only real reason he's on your team is to kick, not to chase down ballcarriers and tackle them.

While I agree (and I'll probably make some tweaks), I feel like there's still a little weirdness with the logic of the Auto-Set... I think it should still take into account the position a player's set at before setting them somewhere else.