NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Trade Block

Re: FA Insanity

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
4/13/2015 8:23 am
Looks like he's got the cap room, he'll be able to sign his draft picks and still have money left over to round out his roster. Not a bad cap situation at all.

By Gustoon
4/13/2015 8:44 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
Looks like he's got the cap room, he'll be able to sign his draft picks and still have money left over to round out his roster. Not a bad cap situation at all.

Those figures initially looked horrific, but now not so much. Guess we're not used to dealing with so many 0000000's ;)

By Morbid
4/13/2015 10:57 am
Free Agency was very good to me this season. I opened up additional space on my roster while I made those offers. I came in with around 55 mils originally and opened up another 8 mil by redoing contracts of players I wanted to keep. I am sure I could still go down my roster and free up additional room if needed. My big thing is when players on my roster hit the 10 year mark I will only offer 2 year deals (one for current season and the other for next) so if the player retires I dont get hit with a major cap hit, also keep those type of players low on bonus's as possible. We will see how this all works out for me tho. I am in a very tough division so i have to spend to be competitive

By oukjweather
4/13/2015 11:06 am
Morbid wrote:
Free Agency was very good to me this season. I opened up additional space on my roster while I made those offers. I came in with around 55 mils originally and opened up another 8 mil by redoing contracts of players I wanted to keep. I am sure I could still go down my roster and free up additional room if needed. My big thing is when players on my roster hit the 10 year mark I will only offer 2 year deals (one for current season and the other for next) so if the player retires I dont get hit with a major cap hit, also keep those type of players low on bonus's as possible. We will see how this all works out for me tho. I am in a very tough division so i have to spend to be competitive

I'm just curious how signing a very large 4 year deal for a 10 year old CB who is already in decline plays into this strategy of 2 year deals for 10+ year players. Should he retire after this season, the cap hit would be extreme I would think. I'll give you he is a special talent, but my evaluation is that he will retire within the next season or 2. I'll be impressed if you keep him for all 4 seasons. Hope it works out for you Morbid.

By Gustoon
4/13/2015 11:14 am
oukjweather wrote:
Morbid wrote:

I'm just curious how signing a very large 4 year deal for a 10 year old CB who is already in decline plays into this strategy of 2 year deals for 10+ year players. Should he retire after this season, the cap hit would be extreme I would think. I'll give you he is a special talent, but my evaluation is that he will retire within the next season or 2. I'll be impressed if you keep him for all 4 seasons. Hope it works out for you Morbid.

Morbid is the Belichick of MFN don't you know 😉

By Morbid
4/13/2015 1:46 pm
Sometimes you have to gamble and take a hit or two. I am not worried about my cap. My young talent is signed for years now. even if he does go in decline I am still betting that even if he last 2-3 seasons he will still give me quality play over my current situation. Its a gamble I am willing to make, like I said I play in a lot of leagues and I may not have won a championship yet but my teams are pretty consistent on the playoffs except for this league. So I needed to be aggressive and get some talent and specially on D and WR. I think I did that and will see what I can also do in the draft with plenty of cap still left. After this season going into next I still should have about 40 mil to play with. I think I have it handled

By Morbid
4/13/2015 1:48 pm
Gustoon wrote:

HaHa... Belichick wouldnt have given these contracts out, if so Revis would still be in NE ;)

By Gustoon
4/13/2015 3:13 pm
Morbid wrote:
Gustoon wrote:

HaHa... Belichick wouldnt have given these contracts out, if so Revis would still be in NE ;)

Ha ha, very true

By RLWJR
4/14/2015 1:08 am
Morbid wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with Morbid on this concept...... I think the majority of owners see the first negative numbers of decline on a stud player and start shoving the player out the door immediately. I think if a guy declines 8 points over 3 seasons, as long as he's still good backup material, he's worth it.

By Sardean
4/14/2015 1:27 am
Gustoon wrote:
Morbid wrote:
Gustoon wrote:

Ha ha, very true

Not true at all. The Superbowl proved to Belichick (and the WORLD) that Revis is a 2nd rate corner when you look at the talent of Sherman. Clearly a 2nd rate corner wasn't worth that kind of money. ha ha ha