NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League Help Forum

Play calling

By Booger926
10/06/2019 5:15 pm
If the defense is set upon the offense line-up, then why does the offense only call 15-20 out of 40 plays during a sim?

Re: Play calling

By punisher
10/10/2019 8:48 am
i would say because you have only 15-20 plays selected ....If you have all 40 plays selected then that is a mystery to me.

By raymattison21
10/10/2019 9:34 am
That's 45 to 60 play calls not penalized for over use. Good enough for a team that plays a defensive game. Say your on the feild for 90 play calls in one game you might want to diversify the play counts closer to 30, but even at 20 plays available in your book it's only a 4.5 average at 90 plays in one game.

I get worried when I get 8 calls from one blitz play and like to keep offensive ones 5 or below as well . Double digit calls for any penalized play gets some pretty bad results .

Still, I think he's referring to the calls not made even though the plays are in the book, active and should be called at least once. You could say the users book is off , but in most occasions when I have a completely balanced book some plays get called less than others and some not at all.

So, I agree something is off there but it could be tied to rules or the hurry/slow down settings . Same with the game play distance adjuster that seems to isolate certain plays with a higher setting.

By TarquinTheDark
10/10/2019 9:47 pm
I believe play type is determined fist, then formation is chosen, then the play. If you're not careful, it's easy to skew the end results towards particular plays.
Last edited at 10/10/2019 9:57 pm

By Beercloud
10/17/2019 11:01 am
How does the GP Distance Adjustment Speed work and what does it affect?

By punisher
10/17/2019 11:22 am
Beercloud wrote:
How does the GP Distance Adjustment Speed work and what does it affect?

here = https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/community/3/170?page=1#746

By Beercloud
10/17/2019 12:07 pm
Dang you are good at that punisher.

By raymattison21
10/17/2019 12:34 pm
Using the GP Distance Adjustment Speed, hurry up, and slow down in unison will drastically change calls from your OG gameplan . With the same settings for down and distance (1st and med) our actual calls looked like this after 4 preseason games .

Your Tendencies: for 25 to 50 yard line
Run Plays: 23 (40%)
Pass Plays: 35 (60%)

Your Tendencies: 50 to 25 yard line
Run Plays: 19 (44%)
Pass Plays: 24 (56%)

Your Tendencies: 25 to 0 yard line .
Run Plays: 2 (11%)
Pass Plays: 17 (89%

The game plan has around a 65/35 run pass ratio but for some reason they passed on 89% of snaps within the 25. GP is at 21 well above the recommended 5 and hurry is at 8 with slow down at 2. Perhaps that could account for the heavy amount of passes seen.

I like the GP adjuster higher only cause if a team is blitzing hard on downs one and two I get some versatility in play calls . I get stuffed on the run for those downs, but if this stops my team well enough they will start calling longer pass plays on second down.....possibly exposing the blitz later in the game .

At a setting of 21 it seems to switch quick so if a team can get ahead quick ......my original gameplan is almost thrown out the window. Sometimes resulting in a blow out loss . ...especially if they can stop the pass.

So there's two sides to it , in terms of how to use it effectively , but I feel I have only scratched the surface. If your facing an opponent using rules it makes it hard to key on to any one yard grouping . As my calls are slightly changing based on how effective my offensive is being, the score, and time left in the game. No rules , but it the closest thing to get some variation .

Seth has touched on this saying a setting of 38 or something . ..is the best...but not many users have posted anything in the general forums containing any info on how to really use it...except set it to zero and use rules to get calls.
Last edited at 10/17/2019 12:36 pm

By TheAdmiral
5/22/2020 7:54 pm
Booger926 wrote:
If the defense is set upon the offense line-up, then why does the offense only call 15-20 out of 40 plays during a sim?

Some plays cannot be called if your defense matrix for the secondary is set eg you might have 3 deep zone plays set to zero on 3rd downs but have selected multiple 3 deep zone plays in your playbook.

To further complicate this you may have linebackers set at 0 for zone in on 3rd downs. So any 3 DZ/ZI plays you select would never be called on 3rd down.

I make a point of 'cleaning up' my gameplan regularly to prevent this 'falling through the cracks' scenario
Last edited at 5/22/2020 7:55 pm