NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

New contract negotiations

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/08/2016 7:35 pm
Now that the season is over, I'm pushing a new update here that should be interesting. You will probably find that players' contract requests will be much higher than they have been, especially for better players. Renegotiations are not going to be as cheap as they were - so it will likely be interesting as we play out the season. This won't roll into the other leagues until the next game engine update, so if it looks like it's too much I am still open to tweaking it.

Re: New contract negotiations

By CCSAHARA
9/08/2016 10:26 pm
Cool

By Wolfpack
9/09/2016 9:17 am
good

By CCSAHARA
9/09/2016 9:25 am
Probably not the right place for this, but if you resign one of your own players in the last year of his contract and the player then retires, why do you get penalized for the new contract? Seems like you should get the information that the player is going to retire before he accepts the new contract.

By WarEagle
9/09/2016 4:07 pm
CCSAHARA wrote:
Probably not the right place for this, but if you resign one of your own players in the last year of his contract and the player then retires, why do you get penalized for the new contract? Seems like you should get the information that the player is going to retire before he accepts the new contract.

I agree, when it comes to resigning a player after the season is over (or at least your season).

Would a team really be held liable for the contract if the player signed it and then retired the next day, or week? I would be very surprised to find out they were. It sounds more like breach of contract on the part of the player to me.

If they are resigned during the season it's a little bit of a gray area. At least then they did something to earn part of it, even if it was just showing up to practice before the final game.

By CCSAHARA
9/09/2016 8:07 pm
I resigned RB Moneyham the first week of the playoffs, then he retires and I'm hit with the financial penalty. Just seems that shouldn't happen.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/10/2016 9:18 am
That's how it works in the NFL - that's why the retirement probability is displayed, so you can take that into account.

By WarEagle
9/10/2016 9:24 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
That's how it works in the NFL - that's why the retirement probability is displayed, so you can take that into account.

Really? A player can sign a contract on Monday and retire on Tuesday (for example), and the team is on the hook for the bonus? I didn't know that.

Has this ever happened IRL?

By lellow2011
9/11/2016 2:16 am
WarEagle wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Really? A player can sign a contract on Monday and retire on Tuesday (for example), and the team is on the hook for the bonus? I didn't know that.

Teams can go after the player for the signing bonus. Additionally teams can structure a contract in a way that leaves very little guaranteed money on the back end of the deal, we do not have that option here.

By raymattison21
9/11/2016 5:35 pm
WarEagle wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

Moonyham did not deserve a contract. Sign him for a one or two year deal or let him go and resign him back. Resigning him was a poor move. Let them test the market.

The only real life example hat closely resembles this Barry Sanders. A horrible front office and owner drove this guy right out of football, and i respect him very much for his decision.

"Sanders' retirement came somewhat unexpectedly and was a matter of controversy. Two years earlier, Sanders had renewed his contract with the Lions for $35.4 million over six years with an $11 million signing bonus. The Lions demanded that he return $5.5 million of the bonus."

With interest Sanders paid over six millon to leave football. Moonyham would get sued just the same. So would my back in 10. Luckly i do not even trust virtual entites with virtual money. I got beat for about 5 million like the lions. All three were clearly poor investments. Plain and simple.
Last edited at 9/11/2016 5:38 pm