NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: OL-turned-DL Experiment

By setherick
7/26/2017 8:09 pm
I was going to wait until I got more stats, but I have some free minutes tonight, so I wanted to go ahead and post this.

In two leagues, I'm trying an experiment of turning OL into DL. This started because my draft weights for an allocation league started flagging OL as potential DL, so I started picking up crappy OL with good SP, AC, ST, and DI to put on the DL.

Here's why it should work:

1) If Ray is right, and I'm pretty convinced that he is, athletic attributes are the only real measure of players right now. Technical skills help differentiate the very best players, but for your bench players, they may be wasted.

2) As far as I can tell, OL is still too dependent on SP vs SP ratings, so fast players will always have the edge over slower OL.

3) ST is dependent on a player's weight. So a 270-300 pound OL-turned-DL with 60+ strength is going to match up well against OL anyway. Especially when it still looks like ST favors DL over OL in pass blocking.

4) Hurries are just as important as sacks in disrupting QB passing percentages.

Here are the two most promising players.

League Paydirt - Dion Arias - https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/1446
*8 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 hurry in 3 preseason games

Beta 87 - Frederick Brittain - https://beta87.myfootballnow.com/player/1405
*1 hurry in 2 plays in the first game; just made him the starter because he's faster than any of my other DEs

I have a few others of these types of players, but we'll see how they pan out before I post them too.
Last edited at 7/26/2017 8:10 pm

By setherick
8/01/2017 7:13 am
OL-turned-starting-DL Brittain in Beta-87 had his best game so far last game: 4 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 hurries.

Currently, 6 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 hurries, and only 1 missed tackle through 4 games.

By Ragnulf-le-maudit
8/02/2017 1:45 am
Due to injuries, my DT N° 3 in beta will be a rookie OL, probably for the next few games.

By setherick
8/08/2017 6:49 am
Last game: 2 tackles, 2 sacks, 10(!) hurries. At least 2 hurries led to INTs.

Through 7 games, 10 tackles, 7 sacks, 18 hurries. Not bad for a guy with 6 tackle, 8 pass rush, and 11 run defense. I can't wait to replace him with a real DL, but he's not doing badly.

Update: Just checked, and Brittain's 7 sacks are good for 8th in the league right now. Oh allocation leagues, you're so allocation-y.
Last edited at 8/08/2017 6:52 am

By raymattison21
8/08/2017 7:23 am
The numbers should match the the numbers Brock Lesnar put up.......1 tackle in two games , but that it....he even played vs. Preseason scrubs. Speed and strength is way overvalued for dline. And what ever happened to the speed rusher. Sub 270 pounds completely fell off the map....real nfl Guys are way more productive than this game gives credit for, but these big fast jokers are a viable option . It so old, but at least you cannot use dbs any more.

By setherick
8/08/2017 7:26 am
raymattison21 wrote:
The numbers should match the the numbers Brock Lesnar put up.......1 tackle in two games , but that it....he even played vs. Preseason scrubs. Speed and strength is way overvalued for dline. And what ever happened to the speed rusher. Sub 270 pounds completely fell off the map....real nfl Guys are way more productive than this game gives credit for, but these big fast jokers are a viable option . It so old, but at least you cannot use dbs any more.

Brock Lesnar? Come on now, this guy is just as good as Lawrence Okoye.

By raymattison21
8/08/2017 8:41 am
setherick wrote:
raymattison21 wrote:

Brock Lesnar? Come on now, this guy is just as good as Lawrence Okoye.

2 tackles and a hurry vs. Preseason scrubs . Yep...the numbers look alike. Never played a regular season snap

By setherick
8/19/2017 8:13 am
The blocking changes seem to have slowed down Big Fred some. Only 1 tackle and 5 hurries in the past two games. I haven't looked at the plays where he was credited with a hurry to see if the OL held him up long enough to prevent a sack.

By setherick
8/23/2017 10:13 pm
1 tackle, 1 sack, 8 hurries in the last game. I was going to bench him, but hey, those are still starter numbers for the LDE spot.

By setherick
8/24/2017 10:28 pm
I haven't watched the film all the way through yet, but Big Fred is back with a vengeance: 6 tackles, 2 sacks last game. Blocking updates be damned. Fred is still 11th in the league in sacks and 18th in hurries.

---

I also need to throw this guy into the mix: https://nfl.myfootballnow.com/player/2796

4 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 hurries in two games. No one tell Gus.
Last edited at 8/24/2017 10:30 pm