NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Don't understand this

By Groo
10/04/2013 7:59 am
(Qtr 1) San Francisco: 3-1-TBY 0 (9:02) 33-Paul Welsh ran for 0 yards. TOUCHDOWN! Extra point GOOD by 14-Richard Cervantes. SFO 7 TBY 0

How does a guy run for zero yards and score a TD from the 1 yard line?

Re: Don't understand this

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/04/2013 12:18 pm
Groo wrote:
(Qtr 1) San Francisco: 3-1-TBY 0 (9:02) 33-Paul Welsh ran for 0 yards. TOUCHDOWN! Extra point GOOD by 14-Richard Cervantes. SFO 7 TBY 0

How does a guy run for zero yards and score a TD from the 1 yard line?

See, you're snake bit both ways. :-)

SF was < 0.5 yards out, the run was < 0.5 yards, so it rounded to 0. This was the change made (was it this week?) to help prevent a 6-yard gain and a 5-yard gain from being less than 10 yards, but this is the other side which is why I initially had it always round up in the play-by-play.

I think the answer is to rewrite some of the play-by-play text when the gain or loss is less than half a yard. Not sure what the best text would be (Paul Welsh ran for < 0.5 yards/a loss of < 0.5 yards? Paul Welsh ran for a short gain/a short loss?) Thoughts?

By Tecra031
10/04/2013 5:44 pm
While I certainly understand Groo's point and was the catalyst for this, the game as a whole has a much better feel in my opinion and now the plays match up to the results for the most part. I still had a 0 yd run, stuffed at the line, and it recorded it as a 1yd loss. I think the 0-1yd runs are now going to be the issue. Not sure I have a good solution for it, but I think the fix has improved most of the yardage issues outside of those very short yard plays.

By Groo
10/04/2013 6:16 pm
The point is, there is no win with this. The best that can be done is to make the play by play sound as it would sound if a TV announcer was doing the play by play. NEVER will you hear the announcer say "Paul Welsh runs for 0 yards... Touchdown!". Paul Welsh plunges in for 1 yard... Touchdown!"

Same with everything else. If a guy runs for 4.3 yards, the announcer will say, "Paul Welsh runs for 4 yards. It will be 2nd and 5." This happens CONSTANTLY when you are watching a game. Why is it such a problem for it to be that way here?

By Tecra031
10/04/2013 6:36 pm
The RB in your game would have scored that TD either way, whether it said he gained 1 yard or not. That wouldn't have changed the actual scoring. It makes a lot bigger difference when you are stuck between a 1st and 3rd down. I am sure you benefited from the change just as well in your game as everyone else, you are just pointing out the one negative you saw. Be fair and give it a chance to run.

By nero
10/05/2013 7:27 am
I think we go with Jon's idea and rewrite the play by play.

"Player X punches it in on 3rd and goal"

By ZootMurph
10/06/2013 9:11 pm
I've got it!!!

Instead of having the replay say, Such and such runs for X yards, say "Such and such runs to the PHI 35." The next play will say 2nd and 5 or whatever it is.

No more confusion. Probably satisfies no one, because everyone wants to be right, it seems. In any negotiation, the best result is one in which neither side is satisfied :)

By Firefly
10/07/2013 8:13 am
I think the NFL certainly has rounding issues, which they probably hope will average out in the long run. However, even though announcers might say "5-yard gain, 2nd and 4", I'm pretty sure in the play by play it's corrected to a 6-yard gain or to a 2nd and 5.