NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Psychic Powers

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
5/23/2019 8:36 am
Also, on the specific plays that are getting 'psychic' keys, see how many times that play has been called previously in the game without a key. Perhaps I have that threshold for the team catching on to an opponent's play set too low.

By raymattison21
5/23/2019 10:38 am

It's depends on what keys the the defense calls and the rolls, but with play overuse and outcome is what I see as being distorted.. That game was 12 of the same runs.

No key
No Key
Pass key then the rest run keys in that order . Alot of the runs were 3rd and 1 so I would think the defense would be in a run key any way. One 1st and 10 could be debated...

Many have remarked on this. I don't think 2nd half has anything to do with it except play counts are near 5 by then. I have ran the same play 12-13 times a game and still averaged 4+ ypc, but it does get stuffed more often toward the end of the game due to keys/overuse/scouting/balance.

Guys aRe more tired then, so a maybe a .5 difference is making all the difference with end results due to parabolic changes/current code.

I see a balance but guys are saying gameplanning is cookie cutter in design . Overuse would do that by limiting effective plays the more it used. Adding correct keys would amplify things, especially with a sensitive code.

I like the idea of keys trending with overuse, scouting, and balance , but that general overuse penalty should be loosened up then. If that s how it works ? Or play with those 3 to find a balance ?

I see speed being highlighted throughout the code because skill ratings nerfed due to overuse. I like the concept to stop what it was designed to do , but other parts have been updated and I think the general overuse applications should be loosened if anything .

It would be nice to see a LB get double digit sacks again . Or see if I can abuse the long pass vs. A correct defense call. Most times . My tests for 4.5 had us go up 35 and then lose. The big switch was seen at halftime with play calls near 10. Still, that team had 8 guys in the box all game and it stifled the long passing game , because of the overuse penalty . ..not only keys...if I am understanding this correctly .

I think it relates here only cause its play counts not necessarily scheme vs. scheme. Which should matter more. With man light years beyond zone plays are slim pickings and the passing numbers are completely different when those two schemes are applied vs. The same offense.

Overused plays let up the most yards , then zone then man/zone. It's that simple. Moslty cause of how abuse has forced teams to balance things out. No matter the formation or scheme or players skill for that matter. Just speed matters if your not balanced . It's a small window but there.

For some reason I think changes here might have drastic /beneficial effects . As play abuse for some reason got stronger with the 4.4 and or 4.5 release , but this make some sense to why?

By CrazyRazor
5/23/2019 10:41 am
I personally think it might be set to high. If a team can spam 5 or 6 plays & win a game, something is terribly wrong. That goes for both offense & defense.
The fact that base defenses aren't penalized opened up a huge exploit defensively.

Could the issue be in the program language? I'm asking because I don't know anything about programming.
Last edited at 5/23/2019 10:45 am

By TarquinTheDark
5/23/2019 4:47 pm
If the overuse penalty is linear or static, it needs to be converted to hyperbolic.

Maybe that's a solution for DOtB as well.
Last edited at 5/23/2019 4:48 pm

By raymattison21
5/24/2019 6:22 am
TarquinTheDark wrote:
If the overuse penalty is linear or static, it needs to be converted to hyperbolic.

Maybe that's a solution for DOtB as well.

I think it is, but it's powerful . Still, with all the other nerfs on top of it by the second half of a pre season game he'll start out 0-3 with an int. By pass 10 he might be 6/10 and back to normal .

When this nerf was put in I rotated qb with success by letting them alternate consecutive snaps at the beginning of the game. Yes, the second guy is nerfed but it's spread out some...mixed in with the starters completions one can sneak by the penalty imo. Yes, you incomplete passes but it's only like 5 out of 40 to 60 by the end of the game. . If the guys elite he might complete a short pass or two within those first 5 pass attempts . Thats a successful qb rotation now.

For,preseason start the guy you want to see less of and by the second half you back up is more than warm. Set qb fatigue really low and alternate them down the depth chart a bunch of times so a non qb won't get thrown in there , when both guys get tired.

I don't like that nerf but when a qb gets injuries irl the backup might get a different offensive scheme around him. We really don't have that luxury here to do in game . Not that it would help much with our code, but I think parabolizing stuff has exasperated all these nerfs effectiveness .

Really I think the players chemistry is off. That's why guys don't rotate too often irl. The backup is practicing with the 2nd team and is running the opponents plays most of that week. So, I think he wouldn't be a s fuild with the the offense . You need those reps in to get familiarized with the nuances /complications of the scheme for that team that week.

It's almost like you should get more positional experience or familiarity during the game and less for practice here. Then make positional experience familiarity matter more. So , a rotation won't work unless you spent alot of time developing that scheme with those players .

Still, with fatigue at the lowest rate subbing (99) will pull a qb a few times a game. Ours don't run at all but for some reason thier arms are getting tired . This is why the qb sub works so well without the penalty . Until, fatigue is looked at it is tough for me to look a lot of nerfs as to say why or why not.

By shauma_llama
5/24/2019 9:51 am
For this first pre-season game, I picked 34 plays from the 2-1-2 formation, 17 runs, 17 paases from three different formations. In each formation half the plays I selected were runs, half were passes. Not all the f ormations had the same number of olays selected because there just weren't the nu.mber of plays available. I changed my rules to say 50/50 pass/run distribution on first down. Here's some preliminary observations:

1. We ran the ball 17 times out of 24 first-down plays, 70.8% runs.
2. Five runs I selected were never called.
3. No evidence of psychic powers with my play selection - I'm going to keep watching this as it's my biggest pet peeve about the game. I think keying is out of control, I'm going to start logging, do some stats, and keep track over the season.
4. I don't have a field-goal kicker. LoL
Last edited at 5/24/2019 10:08 am

By shauma_llama
5/27/2019 8:52 am
Our most recent game:

• ten first downs by penalty -- wow

• run/pass balance on 1st down almost 50/50, what my rules call for

• no psychic powers in evidence. It seems the game doesn't look at merely your run-pass balance on 1st down, nor that you run and pass out of the 1-1-3, let's say, but your run/pass balance within the different formations of the 1-1-3? Makes sense, I didn't think it would take that into account.