NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Acceleration ,is it working ?

By Black Adder
11/20/2019 6:36 am
JDB,

On the old "what the ratings mean" page,acceleration was the time it took for the player to reach his max speed.I remember you saying that sometimes the player never reached his max speed because his acceleration is too low.

I am seeing lots of players in different positions flying around the field,all with 90+ speed ,but acceleration in the low 40`s or below ie below average.

Does acceleration not mean anything anymore,is it as it used to be, all down to speed ?

Here`s a example .

https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/watch/3891#705995

The QB has a clean pocket,the WR stutters/jinks a bit and gets a little daylight,the CB is on Man to Man coverage.
He catches the ball at the 40 and races 60 yards for a TD.

The CB is a rookie,so low familiarity of the play is possible,but he`s played most of the season ,his fatigue is not a issue as its just before halftime.
He has Acceleration of 86 and Speed of 75.
He has M 2 M of 95/100

The WR has Acceleration of 41 and Max Speed of 90.

Should the CB be able to close this guy down and dive tackle him to the ground ,rather than run behind him,even losing yards on him after 20 yards of the chase ?

Maybe I am not seeing something,it just seems Speed is all you need again.

Keep up the great work JDB.

ps sorry the link doesn`t seem to work (not a clue how to make it do so),maybe Punisher could get it working,thanks in advance.

Last edited at 11/20/2019 6:38 am

By raymattison21
11/20/2019 7:17 am
On that play he ran a fly so after the rookie jumped the route the wr was all ready at full speed
And after the CB attempted to try to recover it was too late. The 85 carry was enough to keep the wr fast enough to out run everyone for a td.

Looking at speed and acceleration in general , they work in tandem but it's mostly seen within 2.5 yards , by 5 yards speed is taking over and by 15 yards it's speed vs. Speed. Simply said the closer my guys line up to the ball the more I value acceleration . The more consecutive they do...the higher I like the acceleration ....

I think it's more valued in these later versions but think it could be made more useful . The slower a guy is the quicker he maxes out on speed , especially with high acceleration . With that the ratings the other way around . ...especially the closer they are to the ball presnap...it is less likely they will ever reach to speed.

I have watched low acceleration LBers get beat in coverage due to their lack of recovery , but not really on deep passes . It is valued , don't get me wrong, but maybe better suited for close quarters within the box...

But a 90 speed 60 acceleration small player is way better than a 60 speed 90 acceleration small player. Really for skill players a 75 speed guy is suspect for deep man coverage . Even 85 speed with 96 acceleration is not going to help vs. A 95 spd 60 acc. Wr on the deep ball. The game has always been that way..

By punisher
11/20/2019 12:07 pm
Black Adder wrote:

https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/watch/3891#705995

here = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/watch/3891#705995

play details
2-10-ATL 15 (2:00) 16-Theodore Mullens pass complete to 81-Charles Wilson for 85 yards. TOUCHDOWN! 26-Scott Watts got away with a hold on that play. TB. 3 ATL 9
Last edited at 11/20/2019 2:48 pm

By Black Adder
11/20/2019 2:38 pm
Thanks for making the link work Punisher.

Who knew that a WR with a high Ball Carrying rating has the ability to look back over their shoulder, see the guy chasing them,put their head down and go a bit faster...certainly not me.

So looks like I`m right then,acceleration counts for nothing after 2.5 yards.

In the example the WR clearly is slowed down, by his stutter move/CB getting in his way,who he pushes out the way ,(possibly OPI ),but he accelerates down field like he`s Usain Bolt.

A quick first few steps (acceleration) needs to count for something in this game,as it certainly does in the NFL.

Confused...

By punisher
11/20/2019 2:44 pm
Black Adder wrote:

your welcome

players involved in the play
#16 QB Theodore Mullens = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/5496
#81 WR Charles Wilson = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/3964
90 speed and 41 acceleration

3 defenders in hot pursuit
#26 CB Scott Watts = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/6861
75 speed and 86 acceleration
#55 MLB Carlos Walker = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/4815
86 speed and 83 acceleration
#34 CB Johnnie Gonzalas = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/player/1388
71 speed and 74 acceleration
Last edited at 11/20/2019 2:49 pm

By raymattison21
11/20/2019 9:19 pm
Black Adder wrote:

Who knew that a WR with a high Ball Carrying rating has the ability to look back over their shoulder, see the guy chasing them,put their head down and go a bit faster...certainly not me.

So looks like I`m right then,acceleration counts for nothing after 2.5 yards.

In the example the WR clearly is slowed down, by his stutter move/CB getting in his way,who he pushes out the way ,(possibly OPI ),but he accelerates down field like he`s Usain Bolt.

A quick first few steps (acceleration) needs to count for something in this game,as it certainly does in the NFL.

Confused...

Looks like that defensive hold was earlier in the route. Looking at the slot both were about the same distance down feild when the pass was thrown . The wr2 didn't look to slow much throughout the route at least compared to slot , but the CB actually ran the opposite direction for a half second after he already had good position . That split second lax is where the coverage was lost .

I didn't see a stutter or opi...just a cb poorly anticipating a deep ball....then trying to recover . Idk how bad this is in 4.6 but it was bad in 4.5 and still exists in mfn1 but isn't so egregious

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
11/21/2019 5:54 pm
Acceleration is essentially just part of the physics calculation - a player has the speed they are attempting to get to, their weight is the mass that must be moved to reach that speed, and acceleration is the "force" that is used to push them. If it were a car, it would essentially be horsepower. So lower weight will counteract low acceleration. I am not looking at it right now, but I think that while speed is adjusted on the player card for the weight, I don't think acceleration is (but I might be mistaken, since both of those are "silently" impacted by a player's weight, I might have added the modifier for the player card to both attributes)

By raymattison21
11/22/2019 9:35 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
Acceleration is essentially just part of the physics calculation - a player has the speed they are attempting to get to, their weight is the mass that must be moved to reach that speed, and acceleration is the "force" that is used to push them. If it were a car, it would essentially be horsepower. So lower weight will counteract low acceleration. I am not looking at it right now, but I think that while speed is adjusted on the player card for the weight, I don't think acceleration is (but I might be mistaken, since both of those are "silently" impacted by a player's weight, I might have added the modifier for the player card to both attributes)

It changes as weight changes but I have yet to check the amounts .... Only cause I value acceleration about at a 1:6 ratio of speed some of the time. I saw a wr at 170 lbs he had 98 acceleration . It's like a wrs who weight has trended , has a max speed of only 95. A 160 pound player probably would have 100 acceleration .

I think the same trends happen but they are different rates. Speed seems to be pretty consistent at every 7 to 10 lbs will change a point of speed. That part is similar but the rate might be less than half of speed .

In my past measurements it almost like the code has a 2 to 1 ratio for the thrust or " horse power", but I am purely guessing and it was for data to make combine numbers. But with most guys at top speed by 15 yards and really low acceleration guys maxing in 30 yards seems to favor speed over acceleration on the outside. Or it doesn't match defaults weights much.

I wish it took 60 yards for really low acceleration guy to reach top speed. Like usian bolt his fastest times on the way to the 100 meter was the 40 to 60 meter range. He was still accelerating at the 30 to 45 yard ranges, but he 6'5 243 lbs and a track runner.

I wish these ratios were changed to reflect this. The game would completely change . It's like upping the athletic abilities of late round picks has only made the window for success involving speed , acceleration, and skill even smaller .

We need 50 speed 90 acceleration skill positions players to have more of an impact . Tightening and tighting coverage , to make up for the lack of speed is working but it feels big plays are at a premium . I like this code but Qbs are throwing in to tight windows alot.

Some guys had 60 knockdowns . ..one guy 14 ints. Zone has done well but doesn't produce the numbers man does

By raymattison21
11/22/2019 9:42 am
https://lol.myfootballnow.com/player/3448

This guy went up six points of speed and acceleration when he lost 53 pounds after a half of a season or so.