NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

QBs and Blitzes

By setherick
11/30/2019 1:04 am
I don't know if this holds true for 0.4.6, and I'm not going to do the deep dive data analysis to find out.

In 4.5, the QB blitz recognition is WAY too high. I've been tracking data for my teams in SQL so that I don't have to spend a lot of time digging through game film to game plan. (It also keeps my SQL skills up, but that's a different matter.)

One thing I've noticed is that the percentage of clean passing plays (plays where there is no pressure or no sack) is much HIGHER for blitzes than it is for non-blitzes. Consequently, the number of interceptions per 100 passes is much LOWER for blitzes than non-blitzes.

This bothers me because it defies all logic about when you call a blitz and why. What I think is happening here is that the QBs recognize the blitz immediately off the snap and get rid of the ball faster. So fast, in fact, that the QB rarely comes under pressure against the blitz.

The only time I see a blitz work better than a base defense is against Long Passes, which have their own sets of nerfs and problems.

Re: QBs and Blitzes

By raymattison21
11/30/2019 7:42 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10655#1945531

On 4.6 , last game we gave up 3 sacks...all on long passes. The first two were vs. Man under calls and this was the third vs. A blitz .

Here the RDE quickly beat the LT who is has a deficiency in only strength and the qb ignores the wide open fb for the dump. All recievers had some one covering them and by the time the defense got there I don't think the qb even made his first read yet.

We blitzed 37 times to stop the run. They beat us mostly with chunk plays both running and passing. Needless to say but we had no sacks. During the regular season blitzing 40% of the time got LBers and dbs 5 hurries and one sack out of those blitzes . Not very high, but higher than 4.5

Their Oline was stronger than ours, but they passed long only twice. We on the other hand passed long 10 times. That was where our interception was and we netted negative yards in total passing long.

It was a defensive game with only 3 big plays despite our high blitz counts, but we tried to blitz to stop the run ....we knew it would hurt us a bit facing the pass. With 37 blitz calls we did well at keeping play abuse low(only 5 calls were above the threshold of 3).

In Dallas s defense they mastered the play abuse meter and were pretty much in control .....just pushing us around all game.

If blitzes were more effective ( by lowering the abuse penalties some) the power of a base defense could stay the same. But then the offense would need a counter and that would be qb scrambling and end route senerios .

Cause right now in 4.6 you can run on a base defense but passing is a bit harder
Last edited at 11/30/2019 11:36 am