NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

New update coming at the start of next season

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
4/20/2020 4:26 pm
I am going to roll in a possible fix for the punt block issue at the start of next season that basically changes the weight difference between a blocker and blockee part of the blocking algorithm to be exponential instead of linear, so that hopefully the small, quick rusher can't beat the larger blocker so easily. I am going to wait until after the end of the season to push the patch, but if after a little bit it looks good (or we take some time to work out the balance) I'll include this in the expanded playoff team update. The other changes here in Beta will continue to remain in beta.

I'd like some volunteers to try to break the new code next season, especially if you are already using the punt block scheme that this is intended to fix.

Re: New update coming at the start of next season

By TarquinTheDark
4/22/2020 4:29 am
Roger wilco.

By raymattison21
4/23/2020 7:38 am
i am assuming the two aspects of pass blocking, speed rush and technique rush, are not applicable here. Maybe its the speed rush part that is being changed exponentially? Or is this something completly new, but added as another layer of protection?

The main reason i ask is cause the pass blocking algorithm uses the speed rush logic as well? Which would lead me to think the pass rush section of the game would be effected as well...as DBs and LBer are leading the league in sacks again....

And we have a change to the speed of zero where other leagues dont have that yet.....or do they? Or will that be removed for beta? just looking for a little clarification, cause i couldnt even block a punt vs. a non punter this beta season, and want to apply the best possible punt rush team for this test

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
4/23/2020 9:45 am
raymattison21 wrote:
i am assuming the two aspects of pass blocking, speed rush and technique rush, are not applicable here. Maybe its the speed rush part that is being changed exponentially? Or is this something completly new, but added as another layer of protection?

The main reason i ask is cause the pass blocking algorithm uses the speed rush logic as well? Which would lead me to think the pass rush section of the game would be effected as well...as DBs and LBer are leading the league in sacks again....

And we have a change to the speed of zero where other leagues dont have that yet.....or do they? Or will that be removed for beta? just looking for a little clarification, cause i couldnt even block a punt vs. a non punter this beta season, and want to apply the best possible punt rush team for this test

You're right, there are a few additional tweaks in the pass blocking algorithm currently in Beta that slightly increases the amount of time a block is held, and also the speed difference of 0 to 100 is reduced. The blocking algorithm takes multiple factors into account including speed difference, strength, blocking/anti-blocking (depending on pass vs rush), and weight. This patch changes the weight part of that algorithm to be exponential instead of linear, so if one player is twice the weight of the other it's an exponential difference vs. a doubling difference.

It is interesting though if we are not having anyone able to take advantage of the punt blocking loophole in beta now, but at the same time I think the exponential algorithm is a step in the right direction anyway and hopefully will give the other leagues a mitigation while we get some of the other things figure out.

By TarquinTheDark
4/23/2020 8:23 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:

It is interesting though if we are not having anyone able to take advantage of the punt blocking loophole in beta now

??? I've been posting regularly about my beta punt blocks, in the belief that it might draw attention to the issue. I guess we were too busy dealing with other issues that ******* were drawing attention towards ...