NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Knockdowns

By setherick
6/06/2020 9:10 pm
Why hasn't anyone pointed out that knockdowns are out of control? The league leader is averaging 5 per game! ... I pointed this out before I left MFN-1 the last time. It's still not addressed.

Is 4.6 going to be released with that?

Re: Knockdowns

By TheAdmiral
6/07/2020 1:06 am
I think part of this is that you have to decide what is the difference between a batted ball, a tip, a deflection and a knockdown. Are all classified as knockdowns within MFN?

By TheAdmiral
6/07/2020 1:24 am
In my opinion,

Batted ball: primarily occurs within 5yards of the pass. The ball loops up with a high probability of being caught

Deflected: The ball is unwittingly knocked down/sideways by a player with a very low percentage of being caught by either team.

Tip: The receiver/defender gets his finger tips to the ball, slightly altering the ***** flight. Highly skilled players should be able to adjust and still make the catch

Through the hands: Usually associated with a defender who has low pass catching skills or a receiver who took his eye off the ball.

Then you have to factor in the 'bang, bang' play where a player has to 'establish possession' before the ball is jarred loose/knocked down.

By raymattison21
6/07/2020 4:56 am
TheAdmiral wrote:
I think part of this is that you have to decide what is the difference between a batted ball, a tip, a deflection and a knockdown. Are all classified as knockdowns within MFN?

We had tips at one point......sometimes as many as three on one play, and knockdowns were lower in the past....these high knock down numbers came along with V 4.4-4.5 changes.

By raymattison21
6/07/2020 5:16 am
TheAdmiral wrote:
In my opinion,

Batted ball: primarily occurs within 5yards of the pass. The ball loops up with a high probability of being caught

Deflected: The ball is unwittingly knocked down/sideways by a player with a very low percentage of being caught by either team.

Tip: The receiver/defender gets his finger tips to the ball, slightly altering the ***** flight. Highly skilled players should be able to adjust and still make the catch

Through the hands: Usually associated with a defender who has low pass catching skills or a receiver who took his eye off the ball.

Then you have to factor in the 'bang, bang' play where a player has to 'establish possession' before the ball is jarred loose/knocked down.

Here and in the nfl knockdowns are defined pretty clearly. I figured that altering the pass in some sort of way would be a knockdown for a defender and anything touched by the offensive player is a drop.

That said there are grey areas for sure. A real poorly thrown ball no where near the WR and the defender drops an easy interception..... not a Knockdown.......or the QB drops back and rifles one right at the back of one of the olines helmets.....not a drop...

I have seen stats that have delineated a batted ball by aa dlineman and a pass defection by a cover guy. JJ Watt had a bunch one year from the DL position...

Our system works as such..

I am not sure if only one defender is calculated at a time when multiple defenders are near the ball, but if the ball is catchable and its not a catch then it is a knockdown and if its not a knockdown as well than its a drop.

I have seen defenders knockdown passes and not get stats in the past as well, and those tips were considered tips until the final result...reception/incomplete/interception/Knockdown/drop.

By raymattison21
6/07/2020 5:25 am
setherick wrote:
Why hasn't anyone pointed out that knockdowns are out of control? The league leader is averaging 5 per game! ... I pointed this out before I left MFN-1 the last time. It's still not addressed.

Is 4.6 going to be released with that?

As far as i know only a tweak to punt timing and blocking algorithm change will get pushed.

Zone updates, raising the value of zero speed, and any tweaks to normalize numbers will not go live.

One thing that i will touch on in beta discussions before release would be the blocking algorithms effect on the passing and running game, but were on different code here so its hard to compare numbers.

By setherick
6/07/2020 7:17 am
Let's not argue semantics. Go back and look at completion rates prior to coverage being "fixed" and the number of knockdowns then. Now look at them now.

The passing game is getting worse because it's not addressing any of the actual problems with the game.

More people are just going to quit when this is released.

By raymattison21
6/07/2020 9:16 am
setherick wrote:
Let's not argue semantics. Go back and look at completion rates prior to coverage being "fixed" and the number of knockdowns then. Now look at them now.

The passing game is getting worse because it's not addressing any of the actual problems with the game.

More people are just going to quit when this is released.

IDK it all matters. Drops were the first thing reduced...you would agree thats some sort of fix? The result was too many long *****...the prior problem.

Having zone defenders not bunch up and render closer to their perspective zone assignments is what you are considering "fixed" i can only guess?

This resulted in way lower completions in general...thats how bad zone was in the first place compared to a man under defense.....and those poor numbers were with a simple, not fixed, change to zone that had JDB normalize some passing numbers to make defenses less overpowered.

Thats where we are now...IDK if anything is fixed but zone is more comparible to man now in terms of effectiveness. To me that is something that is now closer to nfls defensive approaches.

Play man all day and you will get beat deep in a mismatch. That it what 4.5 is all about.... where knockdowns are compatible now in 4.6 ...you will just get alot more in zone as well.

Yes, both man and zone knockdowns are high in 4.6 but aleast one approach is not overpowered compared to the other.

If one quits cause of completion% or knockdowns thats on them. 4.5 was introduced with simialr results and supposedly many quit cuase of it, but that does not mean 4.6 has to go the same route. Champions league has plenty of high QB ratings..one stat that was said to be 30% lower than normal upon 4.5 release. Needless to say users have figured out a way to drive those numbers up.

I pass fine in 4.6 ...i think its easier than 4.5 which i thought was easier than 4.4., but i throw deep. Man coverage is too tight to begin with...20 rated skill players will make plays if thier fast enough.

My completion rates have went up in 4.6 only cause against the right calls its harder to throw deep. So i go for the higher completion% plays...instead of glitching the flats one way or another like in 4.5

By Infinity on Trial
6/20/2020 8:28 am
setherick wrote:

This.