NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Fumbles are out of control

By setherick
11/05/2021 7:46 pm
In the first preseason game in Big Data, there were 110 plays of 4236 offensive plays that had a fumble. That's a fumble on ~2.5% of all offensive plays or 3 fumbles per team.

That's more than twice as high as the number of fumbles per team and per play as the NFL this year.

Re: Fumbles are out of control

By TheAdmiral
11/05/2021 8:21 pm
It's also pre-season? so a lot of back ups playing and a dispersal draft with a lot of players who just aren't good enough.

Like all leagues, it will take 3-5 seasons to mature and settle down. The first few years will see lots of mis-matches and blowouts. Likely exacerbated in pre-season by poor players with low levels of current attributes

Edit to add:

A dispersal draft season shouldn't (my opinion) look much like an NFL season because it doesn't have the depth of talent across 32 teams.

The best dispersal teams would likely be 0-16 against real life NFL rosters
Last edited at 11/05/2021 8:23 pm

By Cjfred68
11/05/2021 11:17 pm
setherick wrote:
In the first preseason game in Big Data, there were 110 plays of 4236 offensive plays that had a fumble. That's a fumble on ~2.5% of all offensive plays or 3 fumbles per team.

That's more than twice as high as the number of fumbles per team and per play as the NFL this year.

Where are you getting 110, I checked player Stas and game logs both and came up with 63 both times???

By setherick
11/06/2021 9:44 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
setherick wrote:

Where are you getting 110, I checked player Stas and game logs both and came up with 63 both times???

I counted the rows in the SQL database. So there is a chance that the data is duplicated.

Update: Good call fred. Looks like the rows got duplicated in the raw_plays table because I don't unique index that table.
Last edited at 11/06/2021 9:47 am

By Cjfred68
11/06/2021 9:51 am
setherick wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:
setherick wrote:

I counted the rows in the SQL database. So there is a chance that the data is duplicated.

Must be because the total fumbles is 63 with 40 lost.

By setherick
11/06/2021 9:54 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
setherick wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:
setherick wrote:

Must be because the total fumbles is 63 with 40 lost.

The fortunate thing is that all of the rows in the offense and defense tables are unique.