NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Defense Comments and 3-4 comments

By Wolfpack
11/10/2014 10:32 pm
Here are some end of year comments on some items that may want to be looked at. As part of the beta league, I try to offer suggestions on things, so take this along those lines.

1. Gameplan Filter: Consider adding a filter or additional info spot for personnel (formation) groupings on the defensive game plan page. The AI matches personnel first so i'd like to see a clearer breakdown of my calls per personnel. Right now its very unclear.

2. Personnel Control: I'd like to have control if my team runs a 3-4 or 4-3 base. I know it is tied to the coach right now but I think it is the HC not the DC.

3. 3-4 base: I think (and please clear up if I am missing something) that the typical base 3-4 play typically rushes only 3 (the DL) and then the 4 LBers drop in their cover scheme. The blitz 1+ packages bring more rushers but there should be something that brings a more typical 4 rushers out of a base package. I'd like to see a 3-4 that brings a WLB or SLB along with the DL at least. Also consider adding a 3-4 under / over where we can shade the DL over nose or to either side.

Re: Defense Comments and 3-4 comments

By Wolfpack
12/02/2014 9:43 am
Some further thoughts on the 3-4.

The base alignment of the formation is all messed up. http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/2351#419140

This play has my defense in a base 3-4 2 deep man call vs. a 2 RB 1 TE set. The DL is correctly aligned but look at the LB set up. The LOLB is tight on the TE (good) but the other 3 are all 9- 12 yards(!!!) back from the LOS and the WOLB is actually lined up over the center. The SS is actually closer to the LOS than the RILB.

I'd rather have the ROLB set up out side of the LT at about 1-2 yards off the LOS and the pair of ILB in the guard gaps at 4 yards back.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
12/02/2014 9:56 am
Wolfpack wrote:
Some further thoughts on the 3-4.

The base alignment of the formation is all messed up. http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/2351#419140

This play has my defense in a base 3-4 2 deep man call vs. a 2 RB 1 TE set. The DL is correctly aligned but look at the LB set up. The LOLB is tight on the TE (good) but the other 3 are all 9- 12 yards(!!!) back from the LOS and the WOLB is actually lined up over the center. The SS is actually closer to the LOS than the RILB.

I'd rather have the ROLB set up out side of the LT at about 1-2 yards off the LOS and the pair of ILB in the guard gaps at 4 yards back.

Thanks for the report - that does look whacked out. I think what is happening is that the WOLB is man-to-man against the RB or FB and so is lining up to mirror him, and the ILB's are double-covering a backfield player as well. I've put a ticket in to clean that logic up so that they line up better. I'll also look at how far they are playing off - there is logic to play further off of the receivers but you are right, that lineup is a bit extreme.

By Wolfpack
12/02/2014 10:00 am
Thanks. I'd love to see a base 3-4 play(s) that sends one of the LBers rushing also (in a non-blitz format). As it stands now, all of the non-blitz 3-4 plays only send the 3 DL rushing, which isn't how a 3-4 works.

12/02/2014 10:02 am
Wolfpack wrote:
Thanks. I'd love to see a base 3-4 play(s) that sends one of the LBers rushing also (in a non-blitz format). As it stands now, all of the non-blitz 3-4 plays only send the 3 DL rushing, which isn't how a 3-4 works.

You are correct - I will have to look at the play classifications again and clean that up.

By Wolfpack
12/09/2014 12:20 pm
My 3-4 Lbers are still lining up mostly 9-12 yards deep.

Is there an ETA for this?

12/09/2014 12:49 pm
Wolfpack wrote:

Not as of yet.

12/09/2014 1:38 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

Not as of yet.

I've got a possible fix in testing but I need to make sure it actually does what I think and doesn't break anything else.

12/12/2014 12:43 pm
I just pushed an adjustment for the LB's lineup when they play M2M to MFN-1, let me know how it feels or if something crazy happens in the next sim.

By Wolfpack
12/16/2014 12:54 pm
So I finally had time to look at that. Seems like the depth issue is fixed with the typical LBers in the right depth. That helps, thanks.

There is still an issue with the alignment of the LBers in man coverage.http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/2458#438265

In this play, you'll see the WLB aligned over the RB which aligns him in front of the WILB and thus there is not outside edge. Even if you leave the WLB in coverage on the RB…can he stay on his side of the WDE and then track the RB?

The play is designed with both the WLB and the WILB doubling up on the RB so they both follow him out, and I'd love to see that basic play changed so that the WLB goes in a blitz from the weak edge, sending three DL and a LB.