NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Comeback Logic Brainstorm

By Firefly
1/20/2015 10:59 am
I've always thought the field is too wide for the size/speed of the players so that the safeties can't actually give you the deep "safety" of getting to the receiver if the CB misses the tackle. Maybe it's not the size of the field, but the "safety help" concept needs to be worked on.

The other thing I have in mind has to do with running out the clock. One comeback is bad enough, but the comeback team usually leaves enough time on the clock for the other team to get his shot. I realize this is complicated logic, but something like "when in FG range for a game-winner go to clock draining". More complex: "when in range for a game-winning TD do not take TO" can be defined on the basis of 5-yards per remaining play. This would work like this: if you're at the 20 with a minute left and 3 TOs, you have enough time for say, seven plays (maybe more), but you only need four, therefore let the clock run. Once there are 30 seconds left, however, all the logic above would cancel out and you play to get the most plays possible.
Last edited at 1/20/2015 11:02 am

By WarEagle
1/20/2015 2:54 pm
Firefly wrote:

The other thing I have in mind has to do with running out the clock. One comeback is bad enough, but the comeback team usually leaves enough time on the clock for the other team to get his shot. I realize this is complicated logic, but something like "when in FG range for a game-winner go to clock draining". More complex: "when in range for a game-winning TD do not take TO" can be defined on the basis of 5-yards per remaining play. This would work like this: if you're at the 20 with a minute left and 3 TOs, you have enough time for say, seven plays (maybe more), but you only need four, therefore let the clock run. Once there are 30 seconds left, however, all the logic above would cancel out and you play to get the most plays possible.

I agree with this.

I hate it when the game is tied and I'm calling timeouts inside the 20 before I score, and then my opponent has plenty of time and all their timeouts left to make a comeback.

By Morbid
1/21/2015 1:39 pm
WarEagle wrote:
Firefly wrote:

I agree with this.

I hate it when the game is tied and I'm calling timeouts inside the 20 before I score, and then my opponent has plenty of time and all their timeouts left to make a comeback.

Yes, I think thats one of the biggest problems on comebacks is clock management

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/22/2015 8:01 am
Thanks for all your input - some very good comments here. I think I'll look at the clock management first - that makes the most sense and certainly does need some additional logic. Some good points about being able to use rules to switch to a prevent defense - although I would like to make it a bit easier to actually do - I might think about adding a basic library of rules that are available to everyone that include a base setup for prevent defense, going for it on 4th down, etc.

Anyway, I'm not commenting here to close this thread, just wanted to say 'thanks' for the input so far!

By Firefly
1/22/2015 8:40 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
A lot of guys have said that they think there is some comeback logic that exists in the engine that gives the offense an advantage in these situations, and I can see why one would think that, but the only thing that changes is that the offense stops running and goes to 100% passing. (BTW, the QB does fatigue the more he passes, and the more he passes the less accurate he becomes, which is why going with a 100% passing game _shouldn't_ give you this kind of an offense for a whole game)

I don't think Arizona got the memo on that last bit: 796 attempts. He did complete only a modest 59% of those, but they went for 8211 yards, 73 TDs at over 10 yards per attempt.
Last edited at 1/22/2015 8:40 am

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/30/2015 7:25 am
I just pushed to MFN-1 some new code to slow down the potential go-ahead drive and hopefully leave less time on the clock for the other team to come back. Let me know if you notice any changes during the upcoming season.