NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

QB Scrambles

By JCSwishMan33
8/12/2015 8:04 am
Ran into this play in the last game: http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/3562#634703

Lyons has max Speed and Accel, with a Scrambling of 67. There was a potential blocker for him on the left side of the end zone.

Is there a particular reason that the QB wouldn't make a dash for it in this situation? I've seen some other plays throughout my time where it seems like the QB would have a chance to break out and make a play, but didn't.

Re: QB Scrambles

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
8/12/2015 12:16 pm
JCSwishMan33 wrote:
Ran into this play in the last game: http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/3562#634703

Lyons has max Speed and Accel, with a Scrambling of 67. There was a potential blocker for him on the left side of the end zone.

Is there a particular reason that the QB wouldn't make a dash for it in this situation? I've seen some other plays throughout my time where it seems like the QB would have a chance to break out and make a play, but didn't.

Whether he checks to see if he can run is pretty much a probability function that increases as he gets further away from the center of the field, and the rate increases based on his scramble skill. But I'm not completely happy with the logic, so it is something that will eventually get looked at again.

Re: QB Scrambles

By JCSwishMan33
8/12/2015 12:40 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Whether he checks to see if he can run is pretty much a probability function that increases as he gets further away from the center of the field, and the rate increases based on his scramble skill. But I'm not completely happy with the logic, so it is something that will eventually get looked at again.

I don't know... The way you explain the logic, it seems to make sense; if the QB is rolling far out of the pocket, and he's got the athletic chops to take off, he should attempt it. Maybe the rate increases just need to be tweaked upward?

Or perhaps have the probability increase given a good Intelligence rating (he can figure out if it'll be worth it given the circumstances) and maybe utilize the Field Of Vision stat as well (check the defender / blocker angles to see if it'll even be possible?).