NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Free Agency and Coach Contracts

By RLWJR
9/08/2015 12:36 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Right now the requests are being built based on a linear regression - so the outliers don't have as much strength until there are several pulling the line up. There is also a curve toward the top of the line for players as they approach a 100 rating to take them up above the average.

There are a couple of reasons I haven't added logic to make the top players request for themselves to be the top paid players - first, there is the question of what classifies a player as a top player - should it be the top 32 players in the league at each position always vying for the best contract? The top 20? 10? The linear regression formula does cause the top players to compete for better contracts but you are right in that they don't immediately try to get the best contract in the league. The other reason I'm hesitant is because in the NFL you have a very strong understanding of the impact of your player contracts ... if someone breaks the bank on their QB and every other team is required to match that offer for their QBs, that one player who might have ruined their team for the next 2-3 seasons has by extension ruined every other team for the same time period, unless you happen to have locked up your QB for longer than his QB will hold that insane contract. Expand that to several teams who have locked up different positions at enormous contracts and no one will be able to sign more than a few top-tier players, requiring the rest to go to free agency. The linear regression model prevents that kind of activity from ruining everyone else's team.

I thought about that too, but the scenario I see is this......

Say a team ruins their finances by overpaying a QB...... All the free agent QBs who are in the last year of their contract will ask for a larger sum. If the current owner can't, or is unwilling to match it, that player goes to free agency. If, in free agency, no other owner is willing to meet that players demand, then he just signs, say on week 5, with the highest bidder. No one is screwed, per se. We just will be paying what the "fair" price is for a QB at whatever caliber. The free agent market will decide. You can use the same formula or algorithm that is currently used for the internal evaluation of player value.

I don't know how you have it set up now JDB, but it sounds like the system uses an average salary as a baseline, then adjusts what the player requests based on an internal evaluation of value. Just my opinion, but I think a better system would be to run the regression on the top salaries per value point. Get your top salaries, per whatever the internal value formula says the players rating is, per whatever position that player plays, smooth that line out so it isn't a saw tooth, then go from there.

Not trying to come off as overly critical or anything, just giving suggestions.

By Thor
9/09/2015 7:54 am
RLWJR wrote:

Say a team ruins their finances by overpaying a QB...... All the free agent QBs who are in the last year of their contract will ask for a larger sum. If the current owner can't, or is unwilling to match it, that player goes to free agency. If, in free agency, no other owner is willing to meet that players demand, then he just signs, say on week 5, with the highest bidder. No one is screwed, per se.

Except the original owner of that QB.

RLWJR wrote:

... I think a better system would be to run the regression on the top salaries per value point. Get your top salaries, per whatever the internal value formula says the players rating is, per whatever position that player plays, smooth that line out so it isn't a saw tooth, then go from there.

What happens if someone way overpays for a player? Such as giving a $20 million contract to a 60 rated player? The "per value point" would be outrageous, and cause all the good players to ask for even more outrageous amounts.

Personally, I'd rather leave it the way it is instead of making drastic changes that may end up further damaging the enjoyment of playing this game. There are other things in desperate need of adding / fixing than this.

By RLWJR
9/09/2015 8:42 am
You need to read my whole response....... If they ask for more, and no one is willing to pay it, or CAN'T pay it, then they go to the highest bidder...... So, the original owner of the QB asking for more isn't screwed, he just has to pay whatever the going rate is....... That's the way a market corrects itself. If someone over payed for a player, and no one else is willing to overpay, then NO ONE ELSE over pays, but at the same time, the players are getting what they are worth.

By Morbid
9/09/2015 4:06 pm
I still think the main issue with there being so much cap space available is when resigning your own FA's. All you need to do is reach what they want for a total bonus. It has really nothing to do with the total amount of the salary of the contract. So pretty much you already know what he wants for a bonus for however many seasons, crank that bonus up to 75% and then you can start dropping the total salary amount. On really good players this could sometimes save you 4-5 million a season. You compare this to someone who is on the FA market and it could easily be 8-10 mil+ difference on his contract.

More emphasis should be placed on the total contract when resigning players also and not totally based on the bonus $. Maybe increasing the bonus % of the players on the teams so it will increase the contracts as it would limit that wiggle room on the total contract

By DarkRogue
9/09/2015 4:50 pm
Morbid wrote:
I still think the main issue with there being so much cap space available is when resigning your own FA's. All you need to do is reach what they want for a total bonus. It has really nothing to do with the total amount of the salary of the contract. So pretty much you already know what he wants for a bonus for however many seasons, crank that bonus up to 75% and then you can start dropping the total salary amount. On really good players this could sometimes save you 4-5 million a season. You compare this to someone who is on the FA market and it could easily be 8-10 mil+ difference on his contract.

More emphasis should be placed on the total contract when resigning players also and not totally based on the bonus $. Maybe increasing the bonus % of the players on the teams so it will increase the contracts as it would limit that wiggle room on the total contract

Another issue is that AI teams ( in leagues where there's not a lot of owners that first week or two of free agency ) one team can totally clean up the free agency market because the AI teams think in terms of total salary and don't go beyond maybe 50% on the bonus money. Granted I've taken advantage of this myself in a few leagues.