NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Free Agency

By lellow2011
11/22/2016 3:23 pm
Beercloud wrote:
I think these next few seasons could be very interesting.

Free agency along with more wheelin n dealin could be the order of the day. Don't know about you guys but I know I'm gonna need to play a lot smarter. I already see some future problems with my team.

I feel other than a weakness at LB that my team is in a good spot atm, but that's not going to keep me from dropping some big money on free agency this off season with more than 100 mil in cap space projected for next off season.

By lellow2011
11/23/2016 2:34 am
Star Cleveland WR Eugene Kerby has signed with divisional rival Cincinatti, signing a 6 year contract worth 187 million with 123 million guaranteed.
Last edited at 11/23/2016 2:36 am

By Wolfpack
11/23/2016 2:53 am
Kinda odd that Cleveland lets some of the best young FA players go with $60m in cap room to resign.

Also odder that they tried to make contract offers to those same players they just let walk, in phase 1 after declining to resign the prior season.

Cleveland feels like a farm team with the amount of poor trades they make each year with high picks because they have the same 4-12 season each year. Now this too.

By JCSwishMan33
11/23/2016 9:29 am
Wolfpack wrote:
Kinda odd that Cleveland lets some of the best young FA players go with $60m in cap room to resign.

Also odder that they tried to make contract offers to those same players they just let walk, in phase 1 after declining to resign the prior season.

Cleveland feels like a farm team with the amount of poor trades they make each year with high picks because they have the same 4-12 season each year. Now this too.

If you'd been following some of my posts in other threads, I didn't have the cap room to resign players in 2029. And because the way bonuses are structured, I actually had no choice but to wait until the 'financial calendar' flipped to 2030 (where the contracts come off the cap and *gasp!* the available cap room climbs) to try and resign.

As for the trades I've been making, I'm trying players with particular intangibles to see if I can get not only a winning season, but a dynasty.

So farm team / "pipeline for other teams" / whatever? No. Experimental / "sabermetrics" team? Yes. Failed? To be determined.

By lellow2011
11/23/2016 9:34 am
JCSwishMan33 wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:

If you'd been following some of my posts in other threads, I didn't have the cap room to resign players in 2029. And because the way bonuses are structured, I actually had no choice but to wait until the 'financial calendar' flipped to 2030 (where the contracts come off the cap and *gasp!* the available cap room climbs) to try and resign.

As for the trades I've been making, I'm trying players with particular intangibles to see if I can get not only a winning season, but a dynasty.

So farm team / "pipeline for other teams" / whatever? No. Experimental / "sabermetrics" team? Yes. Failed? To be determined.

What were you paying guys to not have cap room? I have a guy with a cap hit of 19m, and 2 guys with cap hits of 27 mil and I'm still decently under the cap.

By WarEagle
11/23/2016 9:46 am
JCSwishMan33 wrote:

All 100% fine with me.

This IS the testing league after all.

Heck, you could run the same few plays all game in this league and it wouldn't bother me.

By JCSwishMan33
11/23/2016 10:21 am
lellow2011 wrote:
What were you paying guys to not have cap room? I have a guy with a cap hit of 19m, and 2 guys with cap hits of 27 mil and I'm still decently under the cap.

In a misguided attempt to keep talent longer, I'd went heavy with the bonuses. I don't know if that's what ultimately screwed me, or if it was overpaying for talent in general, or what... But I'm trying not to do it again... Not successfully this offseason, but... Heh.

By Beercloud
11/23/2016 2:06 pm
Does signing a Free Agent to a big contract affect how much $$ your own players will want to resign?

If not, it would be pretty kool if it did. Kind of a greed factor.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
11/23/2016 4:27 pm
Beercloud wrote:
Does signing a Free Agent to a big contract affect how much $$ your own players will want to resign?

If not, it would be pretty kool if it did. Kind of a greed factor.

It does on a league-wide scale, but to prevent craziness the outliers don't have as much impact as they could.