NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - League Help Forum

Math is a bit off at times

By nero
9/16/2013 3:06 am
I noticed quite a few times where this would happen

Gain 10 on first down resulting in 2nd and 1
Gain 11 on resulting in 2nd and inches

and so on...

Every time that this happened I was unable to get a first down. Could the math be messing with things?

The number of times we end up in a 3rd and inches situation is quite extraordinary too.

Re: Math is a bit off at times

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/16/2013 7:05 am
nero wrote:

and so on...

Every time that this happened I was unable to get a first down. Could the math be messing with things?

The number of times we end up in a 3rd and inches situation is quite extraordinary too.

Get game engine is tracking everything as floating point, but we obviously don't want to say "3rd and 4.788 at the MIA 23.879902 yard line, gain of 4.501" - so the discrepancies you're seeing are because of the rounding. "Inches" is displayed if it's less than 0.5 yards. However, I would be curious to see a gain of 11 that results in 2nd and inches to see if I need to make an adjustment to the rounding.

By Firefly
9/16/2013 5:22 pm
I understand, but I suggest that the rounding be the same for individual stats and game stats. It's strange to see players gain an X amount of yards and yet the distance to go consistently be marked as 10-X+1

By ZootMurph
9/16/2013 6:58 pm
Firefly wrote:
I understand, but I suggest that the rounding be the same for individual stats and game stats. It's strange to see players gain an X amount of yards and yet the distance to go consistently be marked as 10-X+1

I agree. It would stop this complaint altogether. This is the 2nd time I've seen someone post about this... maybe there are more i don't remember. So, if the run is 9.9 yards, make the stats say a 9 yard run and 2nd and 1. Suddenly, no more questions about this. :)

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/16/2013 7:37 pm
ZootMurph wrote:
Firefly wrote:

I agree. It would stop this complaint altogether. This is the 2nd time I've seen someone post about this... maybe there are more i don't remember. So, if the run is 9.9 yards, make the stats say a 9 yard run and 2nd and 1. Suddenly, no more questions about this. :)

You get bit in both directions though - a 4.5 yard run and a 5.7 yard run = a 4-yard run + a 5-yard run = 9 yards and a first down.

By ZootMurph
9/16/2013 9:02 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
ZootMurph wrote:
Firefly wrote:

You get bit in both directions though - a 4.5 yard run and a 5.7 yard run = a 4-yard run + a 5-yard run = 9 yards and a first down.

Haha... you can't win then :) For the record, I'm fine with the way that things are. I don't have a hard time understanding what's going on. Others seem to though :) Don't have any other ideas on how to help those people.

By nero
9/17/2013 2:32 am
ZootMurph wrote:

Haha... you can't win then :) For the record, I'm fine with the way that things are. I don't have a hard time understanding what's going on. Others seem to though :) Don't have any other ideas on how to help those people.

Ok then I'll help myself...then I'll put up a store online selling products at $9.17, I'm sure you'll have no problem paying $10 for it ;)

By ZootMurph
9/17/2013 10:08 am
nero wrote:
ZootMurph wrote:

Ok then I'll help myself...then I'll put up a store online selling products at $9.17, I'm sure you'll have no problem paying $10 for it ;)

I'm sorry to hear that you misunderstood me. This is a no win situation for JDB. I know you don't care, you just want what you want.... anyway, my point is that it is a no win situation, because he isn't going to be able to please people who are so focused on the numbers. If you watch NFL games, this stuff happens all the time. The announcer says, he picked up 5 yards on that first down run... it'll be 2nd and 6. Does that bother you also?

If a guy runs for 4 yards, 1 foot and 8 inches, what is it that you want it to say in the game? I think that, if you have a problem with the game, you should generally offer a solution as well to the problem you are citing. If you look at all the threads I've started, I say what I think is an issue, and give an idea for a solution.

I don't really understand why it is a problem for you. The game understands the situation, and is calling plays that are relevant to that situation.

Finally, I think you are a little out of bounds in two spots.. first, when you say an 11 yard gain on first down and it is 2nd and inches after that gain... exaggeration of facts doesn't help fix problems that exist... and second, coming after me directly when I tell you that you are creating a no win situation for the guy who is working very hard to make the best game possible. Both these things are emotional outbursts that really don't do anything to help make the game, or community, better. When you have an issue with the game, show facts and offer a suggestion to resolve the situation you have. When you have an issue with another person, talk to them directly, don't bring it here on the forums.

By nero
9/17/2013 10:19 am
ZootMurph wrote:
nero wrote:
ZootMurph wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that you misunderstood me. This is a no win situation for JDB. I know you don't care, you just want what you want.... anyway, my point is that it is a no win situation, because he isn't going to be able to please people who are so focused on the numbers. If you watch NFL games, this stuff happens all the time. The announcer says, he picked up 5 yards on that first down run... it'll be 2nd and 6. Does that bother you also?

If a guy runs for 4 yards, 1 foot and 8 inches, what is it that you want it to say in the game? I think that, if you have a problem with the game, you should generally offer a solution as well to the problem you are citing. If you look at all the threads I've started, I say what I think is an issue, and give an idea for a solution.

I don't really understand why it is a problem for you. The game understands the situation, and is calling plays that are relevant to that situation.

Finally, I think you are a little out of bounds in two spots.. first, when you say an 11 yard gain on first down and it is 2nd and inches after that gain... exaggeration of facts doesn't help fix problems that exist... and second, coming after me directly when I tell you that you are creating a no win situation for the guy who is working very hard to make the best game possible. Both these things are emotional outbursts that really don't do anything to help make the game, or community, better. When you have an issue with the game, show facts and offer a suggestion to resolve the situation you have. When you have an issue with another person, talk to them directly, don't bring it here on the forums.

This was unexpected...but my only reaction would be to say that losing your sense of humor this early in the week can't be a good sign.

You're free to watch my game to see the examples that I mentioned as they're there in public view. I can appreciate where the issues with this are but I don't think that in the NFL a guy gets credited for 6 yards and the next down is 5 to go. Obviously the NFL game is a game of inches but this doesn't have to be. Over complicating things probably goes against the grain of what's trying to be done here and I don't think spending hours on this issue add a single bit of reality.

In fact, the only time "inches" comes into play is when it's under a yard to go for a first down and that might be the easiest way to approach this.

BTW...were you in RNFL at some point? Your name sounds somewhat familiar.

By Firefly
9/18/2013 9:20 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
nero wrote:

and so on...

Get game engine is tracking everything as floating point, but we obviously don't want to say "3rd and 4.788 at the MIA 23.879902 yard line, gain of 4.501" - so the discrepancies you're seeing are because of the rounding. "Inches" is displayed if it's less than 0.5 yards. However, I would be curious to see a gain of 11 that results in 2nd and inches to see if I need to make an adjustment to the rounding.

...And here it is:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/***#77485