NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Weight and Speed

By TheAdmiral
6/07/2020 5:33 pm
Is it possible to code so that each individual player has an 'ideal' weight and the parameters can only swing by 10% on either side. So a 230lbs player can get down to 207lbs then starts taking exponential hits to his conditioning, strength, speed and acceleration for every extra pound lost.

If you think about a boxer that struggles to make the weight it affects his ability to perform. A heavier fighter looking to become lighter would lose strength, power, conditioning, stamina. A lightweight bulking up would lose speed, acceleration, agility.

The ideal weight should be different for each player but within a set range eg 185-195lbs for a WR.

Now I haven't tracked this to see if it is happening like that is is there a downside to stop people from converting every player on the roster (bar QB, I and P) to be either a WR or a DB

Re: Weight and Speed

By TheAdmiral
6/08/2020 5:03 am
As this is a test league and my team is 0-6 I have decided to convert all the offensive skill positions to WR and all the defensive players to CB or Safety. One is a MLB as he was not given the option of playing in the secondary.

By raymattison21
6/08/2020 6:09 am
There is plenty of nflers who gain and lose alot of weight...and maintain or get better physically. At one time almost everyone here could gain 100 or lose 100...since some get stuck closer to 40 or 50 pounds away from the original draft weight. You cant just draft a 260 pound DL and expect him to get down to 191....theres plenty of risk there...he might be best at LBer.

Smaller guys should get pushed around and injured more often. Those are some of the
other added things increased or added to prevent a smaller team. Thats in all leagues

Currently in beta the value of zero speed has been upped and slower /bigger players are moving different, but its most visable at the lighter weights. Also, the blocking algorithms are exponential...instead of linear. To me it makes the game different than 4.5. Long plays are just not as often with this set of parameters.

I see you oline is not smaller? but the dline is....well my bets here is that you get blown off the ball and run all over....I have recently made all my oline bigger, but my small dline does better vs. the pass than the run.

I ran a no TE offense in LoLs and it did quite well. We couldnt run the ball deep in the playoffs but the quick WRs playing FB and TE did over perform in the passing game. So, this is a bit harder now than before

What your doing is exposing the gaps in speed created by weight...they are not that large in the nfl. There is a decent amount of quickness gained by doing so....dropping a 40 time by a full second....that rarely happens from highschool to the nfl...well maybe if the guy has never trained before, but to happen in a season is kinda beat and most newbs wouldnt think to search for talent that way.

By using a minimum of a 70 to 80 speed players across the board one can get a team to move closer to nfl like speeds but those speed gaps cause by weight still causes problems.....like back when qbs ran the ball....DEs would flush them out but could rarely track them down ...resulting in higher averages per carry by qbs. 50 pound weight difference was just to much .

Slow speed will make you 20% slower and heavy weight will do the same...total they could be 40% slower!....nfls scale just isnot that large.. Highschool is though.

By TheAdmiral
6/08/2020 6:33 am
In MFN, does a 250lb defender with 80 strength have more 'power' than a 190lb receiver with 80 strength ie does weight impact strength

By raymattison21
6/08/2020 8:40 am
TheAdmiral wrote:
In MFN, does a 250lb defender with 80 strength have more 'power' than a 190lb receiver with 80 strength ie does weight impact strength

Simply said yes, but wheres the level we are using right now. Aplayers weight is used in severasl parts but strength is generally considered the "pushing" or " dragging" around players.

Like would a fatigue (moderated by weight) afffect this strength if this 250 pound defender had a poor angle on the wr when making a tackle and he gets dragged for 3 extra yards?

In blocking youll see the stronger bigger guys push people around, but i see smaller guys hold thier ground from time to time...Is fatigue, positioning, size and strength all are considered in these senerios? I think so , but a what level and to what extent is not exactly defined

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/10/2020 8:39 am
Each player does have a hidden "Frame" value that their weight tends toward, and the further the goal weight is from their frame the harder/less likely they will achieve it.

By TheAdmiral
6/10/2020 9:34 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
Each player does have a hidden "Frame" value that their weight tends toward, and the further the goal weight is from their frame the harder/less likely they will achieve it.

That's good to know, does changing a players weight alter other chacteristics other than increasing / decreasing speed? And once said player goes beyond a specific weight range does it then have a negative effect ie the big build player losing explosive power, acceleration and speed and fatigues quicker as his energy levels would be lower.

Basically, is there a downside to dropping a players weight to increase his speed and if so does it need to be altered to prevent all players on a team being converted to WR or DB
Last edited at 6/10/2020 9:35 am

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/11/2020 11:35 am
Primarily heavier players have a lower acceleration and max speed, lighter players are more likely to get injured when they get hit by a larger player and also are more likely to lose in a tackling situation vs a heavier player. There are other nuanced items but I believe those are the most significant.

By raymattison21
6/11/2020 12:13 pm
TheAdmiral wrote:
As this is a test league and my team is 0-6 I have decided to convert all the offensive skill positions to WR and all the defensive players to CB or Safety. One is a MLB as he was not given the option of playing in the secondary.

It will be interesting to see what blitzing everytime does when you combine it with smaller players across the board

By TheAdmiral
6/11/2020 2:40 pm
Two wins so far Ray. We will get whooped somewhere down the line for certain.

Obviously the changes in speed and weight will become more significant as the weeks go on.

I'm surprised that losing weight does not see a reduction in strength. There has to be more risks and less reward for adding speed.

At present (and it's early days) no noticeable uptick in injuries.