NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

A suggestion

By Infinity on Trial
11/10/2020 8:48 pm
All players remain at the weight they are generated at, no matter what position you change them to. No more 0-RB, 10-WR rosters, and more one-size-fits-all positions.

Re: A suggestion

By TheAdmiral
11/11/2020 6:45 am
Something needs to be done. This is why two leagues with weight restrictions have popped up. Personally, I don't mind changing players positions, I think players attributes should change based on which position they play eg

A player drafted as an RDE and is converted to CB - If he has 80 speed as a DE, that should not be 80 speed as a CB, it should be around 30 and as the player loses the weight it should move up to around 60 if he gets down to 230lbs and about 70 if he gets down to 200. It should not be the case that an 80 speed DE becomes a 90+ speed CB.

There should also be penalties for techniques if a player is playing out of his designated position. For instance Run blocking by a WR should be different to run blocking for a WR. Pass rush for a DE should be different to pass rush as an LB and as a DB

The position on a players card should indicate where he does his training every week, if you have a player listed as a SS all season long he is spending all week every week learning plays at that position. If that same player is playing DE on gameday, his performance should be (mostly) inept.

Players playing OOP should have difficulty with play familiarity as they are not being drilled on it in training. This should result in bad technique, penalty calls for lining up wrong or false starts/neutral zone infractions etc.

By TheAdmiral
11/11/2020 7:07 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
All players remain at the weight they are generated at, no matter what position you change them to. No more 0-RB, 10-WR rosters, and more one-size-fits-all positions.

Perhaps there should be a 20% rule where a player has a standard weight (hidden) which he will get to when fully conditioned. This way a 300lb DE could get down to 240 and play at LB and a 200lb safety could get to 240 and play LB.

Combine this with player attributes being different eg a 80 rated pass rush for a DE should be a 60 rated pass rush as an LB because different techniques are needed - not least of which is starting from a 3 point or 5 point position to a standing start.

I guess I'm suggesting a player playing OOP only works at 75% ability compared to a player playing in position playing to 100% of his current abilities

Basically the player card situation needs an overhaul with players only able to play positions if its listed on their card. With a limited number of positions.

OL/FB/TE
QB/RB/WR
FB/RB/TE/OL
RB/WR/FB
TE/FB/OL/RB/WR
WR/RB
DE/DT/OLB
DT/DE/MLB
OLB/MLB/SS/DE/FS
MLB/OLB/SS/FS/CB
SS/FS/MLB/CB/OLB
FS/CB/SS/OLB/MLB
CB/FS/OLB/SS/
P
K

A player would play at his current ability level for his listed position, 75% for his secondary position, 50% for positions beyond that. It should take a approx. full season to convert to a position and the player may not reach his potential or could exceed his potential

By setherick
11/11/2020 7:25 am
Each player already has set minimums and maximums. It's based on generated weight +/- 50#. That's the reason a 313# generated DT will have a floor of 263# pounds if you move him to WLB.

And why an LB generated at 265# will drop to 237# to play WLB, but will only drop to 215# to play safety.

By Infinity on Trial
11/11/2020 11:43 am
Some of these new rules being imposed give me a lot of heartburn. I recognize that we can't have lightweights teeing off on the QB from DE every down, but want to be able to move WRs and RBs around to find the best matchups.

By hollyhh2000
11/11/2020 4:48 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Some of these new rules being imposed give me a lot of heartburn. I recognize that we can't have lightweights teeing off on the QB from DE every down, but want to be able to move WRs and RBs around to find the best matchups.

And want to move a SF to a LB spot to cover a RB. 20 lbs can be a lot when a WLB chases a RB

By Infinity on Trial
11/11/2020 8:21 pm
I'm guessing SF means safety, but all I could think of at first was Scottie Pippen.

By setherick
11/11/2020 11:34 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
I'm guessing SF means safety, but all I could think of at first was Scottie Pippen.

Larry Johnson would have been a monster WLB.

By CrazySexyBeast
11/12/2020 11:05 pm
Addendum: +/- 15 pounds.
Also +/- 10 pounds variable within each position.
Edit: variable weight change post draft/+/- 10 lbs by position should roughly be +/- 25 total pounds per player allowed to be lost or gained post draft.

We can not ignore the issues presented by every RB being 217, every TE, 257, etc and on within assigned position (lb) weights in relation to WHY people are flipping positions and cross-training.
A very important issue, in my humble O, but presented in a way that lacks a holistic imprint.
Thank goodness the concern has been brought up for discussion, for it has been in the background of many of our minds.
Kudos to the OP author :)

I would like to add my bit O' Crazy - I think the changes regarding draft prospects having more "broad" versus "direct" attributes by position has created the issue of concern.
The draft pool is habitually impoverished, regardless of the league age, which also contributes to GMs taking the longshot, "he better diet and I better pray" pick in round 3 or 4.

To conclude, not only do player weights "by the pound" need to be addressed, but we really need to get off the Duff and fix "player weights" - by MFN default attributes; something that has been a major concern since I started this game in 2017.

Under no circumstances should a GM be spending a mid round pick on a long shot player that needs to gain or lose 50 pounds, which is what we have arrived at due to all of the issues mentioned above (including previous authors' posts).
Last edited at 11/12/2020 11:11 pm

By CrazySexyBeast
11/12/2020 11:17 pm
Quickie:
Change of position MUST be noted in player transactions.
....and perhaps limited to 2 changes per career.

...and ...and perhaps the solution is placing a limit on how much a player can gain or lose as a simple solution (+/- 25 lbs, for example to reference my post above).
Last edited at 11/12/2020 11:17 pm