NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Bug Box

Multiple Waiver Claims

By setherick
7/22/2017 6:52 am
I don't know if this is a bug or the random number generator being extra special, but I'm posting this here.

In one of the new private leagues, we had an owner flake out and cut a bunch of good players. It being the first year of the league, a number of us put waiver claims on the cut players because finding any decent FAs in year one is a godsend.

Then this happened. Look at the transactions for this team: https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/team/view/23

That's right, Arizona scored 100% on all of the waiver claims they put in. This seems like a problem with multiple teams putting in waiver claims. There are no records to go off of so there is no way to decide which team is "worst" that is putting in a claim AND regardless after the first successful waiver claim, the claimant would have fallen last to the order.

So, here are some of the things that could be happening in this situation:

1) The random number generator is being extra special with its randomness.
2) The waiver is defaulting to the first letter in the alphabet to decide the team.
3) The waiver is using the first letter of the alphabet and resetting the waiver order and choosing either the first or last team in the order, which in this case would be AZ.

None of these things are good.

Re: Multiple Waiver Claims

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
7/22/2017 9:34 am
I think what's happening is that the waiver order is randomly selected at the beginning of the sim but not reset between claims. I will have to think about the best way to remedy this, maybe don't have a waiver wire in the first year of a league?

By setherick
7/22/2017 9:36 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
I think what's happening is that the waiver order is randomly selected at the beginning of the sim but not reset between claims. I will have to think about the best way to remedy this, maybe don't have a waiver wire in the first year of a league?

It's a rare problem for sure, but I agree with not having it in the first year.

By jgcruz
7/22/2017 10:05 am
setherick wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

It's a rare problem for sure, but I agree with not having it in the first year.

Or limit the number of claims a team may make per week. Perhaps 2.

By Beercloud
7/22/2017 2:22 pm
I think we can cross alphabetical off the list.

As setherick knows, and thanks for going out of your way to point me in this direction. We had Arizona win 5 claims and Washington 2. And team names for winning or losing out on claims are not showing up in the description column under the league transaction section.

By Ares
7/22/2017 4:31 pm
I'd personally be in favor of getting rid of the waiver wire all together. Just makes it way too easy to game the system for multis. Take two (or more) teams in a league, tank one, cut all the good players from the other, profit. Since the weakest team in a league takes ALL players without re-setting their waiver order they're guaranteed to net everything that gets cut.

By oukjweather
7/22/2017 7:05 pm
I could see not having it in the first year. I would disagree with getting rid of it, as in my view its an effective way to distribute talent away from some of the leagues best teams without breaking the bank of the weaker teams.

By WarEagle
7/23/2017 7:53 am
Ares wrote:
I'd personally be in favor of getting rid of the waiver wire all together. Just makes it way too easy to game the system for multis. Take two (or more) teams in a league, tank one, cut all the good players from the other, profit. Since the weakest team in a league takes ALL players without re-setting their waiver order they're guaranteed to net everything that gets cut.

At least get rid of it until the issue of not resetting the waiver order is fixed.

And it shouldn't be included in a league's first year.

By Beercloud
7/23/2017 3:24 pm
i gave a thumbs up to doing away with claims but after thinking it over more I gotta to change my mind.

Yes scumbag multi's can game the waiver system. But it slows em down and restricts them much more than the FA system does.

Another possible variation and option to disabling waivers for the first year. Maybe have waivers start at the trade deadline vs disabling it for the whole first year. That way there's some protection against gaming FA down the playoff stretch.

By Ares
7/23/2017 3:41 pm
Beercloud wrote:
i gave a thumbs up to doing away with claims but after thinking it over more I gotta to change my mind.

Yes scumbag multi's can game the waiver system. But it slows em down and restricts them much more than the FA system does.

How? It changes it from competing against ~30 teams for the cut players to literally guaranteeing that they'll get every player.

If we had an NFL waiver system where your order re-sets after a claim it would make sense, since they could only nab one player at best, but as it is it's a multi's paradise.