NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League Help Forum

Re: Math is a bit off at times

By nero
9/18/2013 9:21 am
Firefly wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
nero wrote:
I noticed quite a few times where this would happen

Gain 10 on first down resulting in 2nd and 1
Gain 11 on resulting in 2nd and inches

and so on...

Every time that this happened I was unable to get a first down. Could the math be messing with things?

The number of times we end up in a 3rd and inches situation is quite extraordinary too.

Get game engine is tracking everything as floating point, but we obviously don't want to say "3rd and 4.788 at the MIA 23.879902 yard line, gain of 4.501" - so the discrepancies you're seeing are because of the rounding. "Inches" is displayed if it's less than 0.5 yards. However, I would be curious to see a gain of 11 that results in 2nd and inches to see if I need to make an adjustment to the rounding.

...And here it is:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/***#77485

Thank you your honor...I rest on your face.

Re: Math is a bit off at times

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/18/2013 9:23 am
Firefly wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:
nero wrote:
I noticed quite a few times where this would happen

Gain 10 on first down resulting in 2nd and 1
Gain 11 on resulting in 2nd and inches

and so on...

Every time that this happened I was unable to get a first down. Could the math be messing with things?

The number of times we end up in a 3rd and inches situation is quite extraordinary too.

Get game engine is tracking everything as floating point, but we obviously don't want to say "3rd and 4.788 at the MIA 23.879902 yard line, gain of 4.501" - so the discrepancies you're seeing are because of the rounding. "Inches" is displayed if it's less than 0.5 yards. However, I would be curious to see a gain of 11 that results in 2nd and inches to see if I need to make an adjustment to the rounding.

...And here it is:

http://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/***#77485

Thanks - I'll look into why that's happening.