NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Intelligence

By setherick
12/11/2016 8:11 am
I began to reset my weights for testing purposes, and I have some question about intelligence at a few positions.

1) Will intelligence affect OL and DL play the same way that it impacts skill positions? (It seems like this is the position that will be affected the least.)

2) Will intelligence affect cut backs or waiting for blocks for RBs? (Trying to decide if it's a 33 point skill or a 66 point skill relative to speed.)

It would be nice to have a general breakdown of things that Intelligence should help with so that we can watch for players' play to see if it matches expectations.
Last edited at 12/11/2016 9:17 am

By raymattison21
12/11/2016 10:39 am
To me making intelligence , at certain positions, something that can be exceedingly low in tandem with high other ratings and produce great results

QB needs intelligence maybe oliNE but lb RB wr db DT should not

It feels generic here and a better player will react quicker
Last edited at 12/11/2016 10:41 am

By setherick
12/11/2016 10:59 am
Here's what the current documentation says:

Intelligence
Intelligence is primarily used to influence how quickly a player learns the plays he is practicing. It also influences a hadful of decisions in the game, like whether a receiver will extend his route past the first down marker on third down.

I agree that INT should primarily determine how quickly a player learns plays, but that all players should learn plays much faster, especially high INT players.

What I'm interested in is the "hadful of decisions" by other players than WRs.

By raymattison21
12/11/2016 11:58 pm
"Re: QB Progression

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/07/2013 4:05 pm
It does, but the progression currently weighs each receiver - weighing the #1 higher, then the #2, etc - as well as the route distance (short, medium, long) and each eligible receiver gets a weight, which is then sorted (with a random weight added based on the QB's experienceso possibly mix things up).

It would be interesting to give you more control over that somehow, maybe the ability to set the read progression for each offensive pass play in each situation"

Sometimes I wonder when I see stuff like this...but count little on documentation because the game not even half done .

By raymattison21
12/12/2016 12:05 am
Re: Question

3/15/2015 11:17 am
kingclutch98 wrote:
Difference between discipline and intelligence for QBs?
WHich is more important?

I'd say intelligence is more important. Discipline is mostly directly related to penalties, for a QB there aren't really any penalties that they commit; intelligence is used when determining how quickly a player improves his knowledge of the playbook, which is fairly important for the QB (that influences aspects such as identifying the open receiver, hot reading out of a blitz, etc

By raymattison21
12/12/2016 12:39 am
Re: Outside Runs

11/17/2015 7:58 pm
setherick wrote:

Maybe jdavidbakr can qualify this response. Do intelligence, ball carrying, or discipline help a back determine the hole or wait for his blockers at all?

Yes, intelligence and experience mostly, although not really to the degree that I'd consider optimal

By setherick
1/01/2017 6:39 pm
setherick wrote:
Here's what the current documentation says:

Intelligence
Intelligence is primarily used to influence how quickly a player learns the plays he is practicing. It also influences a hadful of decisions in the game, like whether a receiver will extend his route past the first down marker on third down.

I agree that INT should primarily determine how quickly a player learns plays, but that all players should learn plays much faster, especially high INT players.

What I'm interested in is the "hadful of decisions" by other players than WRs.

Any clarity on this? I'm revising weights based on code changes and experimentation.

By setherick
1/10/2017 7:23 am
Still looking for an explanation about if intelligence does anything. Watch the WR at the top of the screen on this play, he splits the zones and completes running his routes. The defender in the short zone cheats towards the QB. Instead of sitting down in the hole in the zones for an easy reception, he runs back to the QB. He's still open, kind of, but the QB misses the throw: https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/gamecenter/view/5884#1058884

If intelligence worked, I assume that an 88 intelligence WR would know enough to sit down in the zone so the QB had a good spot to throw and pick up an easy 10 yards.

By setherick
9/25/2018 10:24 pm
Bringing this topic back up.

What I know intelligence is for:

1) QB - What receiver to throw to
2) PR - If a punt will be returned
3) All Positions - Gaining play knowledge

What else does it do?

For instance, does Intelligence dictate whether the Safety is going to bite on the look off? Or whether the Safety is going to try to make a play?

Does Intelligence help the OL pick up a blitz or blocking assignment?

By Beercloud
9/25/2018 11:00 pm
To add-on to setherick op, how does it apply to coaches, DE's ability to contain, LB's filling the right holes or how quick they can read and react to the run or pass, same for safeties etc...

Intel can be the great equalizer to superior talent(speed, strength etc) within reason.