NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Out of position players

By setherick
1/01/2020 9:32 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
There is a penalty for playing a player out of his assigned position - should that penalty be increased? I don't want it to be so severe that you can't play a player out of position if you have to, but perhaps the penalty is not great enough.

No. And the penalty should be taken away. A player should play where his generated attributes dictate That's how it works IRL. A OLB coming out of college that is in the 230# range and has great cover skills will move to SS in the pros frequently. 3-4 DEs and OLBs tween all the time. The fact that there is a penalty at all is silly.

What should change is how player attributes are generated. Too many DL generated as OLBs, etc.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/02/2020 9:30 am
The idea of the penalty is that they are not practicing at that position, and therefore are not as familiar with how to operate in that position as someone who spends all week. Remember, if you have a player assigned as a WR, he is practicing with the WRs during the week, not the RBs. So he's not getting any coaching in terms of following blockers, for example. It's a penalty actually in the sense that they don't get any skill benefit from their coaching hierarchy and slower reaction time to decisions, it's not a base reduction in their skills.

By raymattison21
1/02/2020 12:02 pm
Smirt drafted an elite speed CB in the 1st round of a weak draft. 40 bump and man coverage disqualified him as any value to my teams. Great users here probably could turn him into something great, but i dont get it.

In that same league he has WRs picking off many passes, and because ball carry is so whacky these wrs are taking the passes back for tds. Some of the fastest speeds nfl players have traveled have been by defenders on returns. We will never here cause of carry. That puts me on the fence on whether anything is an exploit due to playing out of position.

WR at RB ... the only problem there is durability of a tall player and we use only weight to moderate speed.

Currently here in mfn1 a rookie SS is playing LDE at 207 pounds. 2 games 10 tackles and some sacks and hurries. We have used smaller line men on the defensive side for pressure. They get beat in the run game but is that whole area of the game may be flawed. Top 10 sacks allowed has way too guys with 100 pass block

Would strengthening the OoP penalties even change this SS effectiveness ?. He already is doing well without anything tangible to a DE besides 75 strength and 86 speed and some pass rush.

By setherick
1/02/2020 7:52 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
The idea of the penalty is that they are not practicing at that position, and therefore are not as familiar with how to operate in that position as someone who spends all week. Remember, if you have a player assigned as a WR, he is practicing with the WRs during the week, not the RBs. So he's not getting any coaching in terms of following blockers, for example. It's a penalty actually in the sense that they don't get any skill benefit from their coaching hierarchy and slower reaction time to decisions, it's not a base reduction in their skills.

This still doesn't make sense. Play knowledge is determined by the number of times a player runs a play in a game.

By Infinity on Trial
1/03/2020 7:43 pm
setherick wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

This still doesn't make sense. Play knowledge is determined by the number of times a player runs a play in a game.

I agree. Position experience should be enough of a penalty. Once a player has learned the position, there should be no penalty.

By JCSwishMan33
1/07/2020 9:11 am
Not the same, but related: Is there a regression of position experience if the player is taken out of the position for a prolonged period of time? I.e. if I have a player that's been at RB enough to have their Position Experience get to 100, but I then move the player to WR... Does their RB Position Experience regress down the more games played at WR?

By raymattison21
1/07/2020 9:14 am
JCSwishMan33 wrote:
Not the same, but related: Is there a regression of position experience if the player is taken out of the position for a prolonged period of time? I.e. if I have a player that's been at RB enough to have their Position Experience get to 100, but I then move the player to WR... Does their RB Position Experience regress down the more games played at WR?

I think that is the penalty...and or how quickly they learn the position which is based on intelligence.