NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: A suggestion

By raymattison21
11/13/2020 11:38 am
We generate players within classes distributed by height as well. Once a massive weight change takes place our players become unrealistically tall or short to play that position. This messes with the talent pool in terms of true speed.

We’re off there due the use of weight only but locking a player weight to the original generation would allow for a 340+ pounder and 170 pounder. Currently after eight games and camp it’s 190 to 320. That scale...especially within each position group, would be expanded. Possibly making weight a bit more valuable.

The speed gaps will still be there but the overall options to use at a specific position will be less. The talent pool with have less options making elite teams a bit more vulnerable. Raising the speed of zero could be done again and our 40 times might be even closer to what the nfl works with.

Adding value to weight through game play changes could balance thing out even more preventing the use of small players due to how fast they are.

Capping positions changes by only allowing shorter players to lose weight but maybe not gain it so easily would continue the use of height as a speed scale modifier . Same as allowing taller players to gain more weight than lose...as at least the heights of players could be more realistic.

Really it would make bigger players more durable or better blockers/rushers. Just other Things to make weight be more valuable. As true speed is heavily tied to weight and gains the positioning aspect of the game. ....which is overpowered but exposed the more extreme the difference.

Capping position changes per season is something but what if guy is trying to make guys worse to hurt the game?. Having 10 total a season is something that would cap it as well but leave flexibility.

Still I like all guys not trending towards one weight. I want a NT that is over 300 pounds...so not being able to change a position ever seems like the only way to do that.... unless we could set a desired weight. But cap it due to height as well.

There are ways to make safeties cover backs without overriding positions . The out of position penalties would be exploitable really no matter what you do so that part could only be rendered through gameplay code changes but locking guys into the original weight does lower the talent pools and possible parity in those scenarios. But that only open the door for closing the gap of speed through raising the value of zero speed.

Then still the need to make size/skill more value anything to counter act the fact smaller is faster

By hollyhh2000
11/13/2020 1:18 pm
raymattison21 wrote:

Then still the need to make size/skill more value anything to counter act the fact smaller is faster

This!

If a lightweight would be visibly pushed around by heavier blockers fewer teams would consider going for speed

By CrazySexyBeast
12/03/2020 7:38 pm
ifwiw, 've had the thought numerous times of perhaps being able to weight height and weight (lbs) by position within the edit player weights tab.

By setherick
12/03/2020 8:01 pm
CrazySexyBeast wrote:
ifwiw, 've had the thought numerous times of perhaps being able to weight height and weight (lbs) by position within the edit player weights tab.

This isn't useful. All positions are generated within a set height-weight range (that's from like 2005). There are no 6'6' 240# WRs that can move and no 5'6" 170# RBs that can fly. Similarly, there are no 6'4" 270# LBs that run a sub 4.6 40.

By CrazySexyBeast
12/17/2020 7:09 pm
I can wholly agree from an analytical view regarding attributes vs. spd.
That stated, it would still be nice to exclude <6 foot Wr and greater than 5'11" RBs - if for nothing other than user preferences.
Absolutes result in negative thinking, which eliminates getting outside the boxes of reason we create.
^Blah blah.
It would just be nice for GMs to firther modify what the filter for drafts/etc by defining an absolute (and I hate absolutes :)) max and min ht/wt by position.

Certainly not a critical issue, which you obviously choose to interpret as my meaning.
I am not dismissing your thoughts, seth, nor undervaluing them. You do good work. :)
I am talking about an easier process of elimination and user precision
You are talking about the math as if height and weight were weighted attributes.
I am talking about interface, ease of use, ease of preferences, and (hopefully) more players.
We are both working very hard in subtle ways to refine a great gaming experience.
Palty differences, to be sure.

The more we can define as player choice, the more we can choose to eliminate the AI, the better the AI logic becomes. Frankly, nothing but plusses for sports fans who love numbers (and breaking them).
Last edited at 12/17/2020 7:20 pm