NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Testing a broken play

By shauma_llama
6/13/2019 9:34 pm
In our 0.4.5 league, we've come to the conclusion that the 2-1-2 PA Fullback Flat is badly broken. Does anyone know if it's still broken under the current rules here, 0.4.6 I guess. Are we allowed to flog it for all its worth to see how badly broken it still might be? I don't wanna make anyone really mad, but I was thinking BETA league was the place for such a test.
Last edited at 6/13/2019 9:34 pm

By TarquinTheDark
6/13/2019 11:09 pm
Do it. Dooooo it. You know you want to. Flog away. Breaking stuff is good (here).
Last edited at 6/13/2019 11:11 pm

By shauma_llama
6/13/2019 11:37 pm
Oh yeah. :) Win or lose the results should be pretty funny.

I tried to convince everyone in the other league to have a week where we all did nothing but run that play. But the spoil-sports didn't go for it.
Last edited at 6/13/2019 11:42 pm

By raymattison21
6/14/2019 3:54 am
This is my highest average yards per play to lowest. All plays average above 5 ypp, through 14 games of 4.6

The play in question was called 4 times for 92 yards. I am testing the worst plays right now, so it only took a game to figure out the value of this one . Still , its got a play action , slant, fly, and great spacing for big numbers . The key would be to test vs. A defense that should stop it. Perhaps there none

PA Fullback Flat

Post and Drag

Slot Out

5 WR All Go

Spread Deep Corner Post

All Go

Slot WR Cross

FL Go

HB Checkdown

HB Counter

WR Post Corner

WR Deep

TE Out

HB Counter Weak

WR Post

FL Drag

5 WR Corner Post

Deep Corner/Post

All Go

Slot Short WR Deep

Slot Cross

Skinny Posts

WR Post TE Out

HB Inside Weak

Familiarity

Slot Crosses

WR Crosses

HB Toss Strong

Strong Flood

HB Dive Strong

FL Hitch

Last edited at 6/14/2019 3:55 am

By raymattison21
6/14/2019 5:38 am
shauma_llama wrote:
Oh yeah. :) Win or lose the results should be pretty funny.

I tried to convince everyone in the other league to have a week where we all did nothing but run that play. But the spoil-sports didn't go for it.

Your wr got 234 yards , but your qb threw 10 ints . I tried a 3 play plan both for offense and defense and got similar results . Lost the game .

I still think adding audibles is the way to go instead of The nerf. It looks bad, but is effective . The defense equally abused that Double safety blitz play. So, idk about these results , but i am not afraid of any one play....it might be the ten plays that work considerably better I am more worried about. But I guess that's football.

Making reads better and allowing blitzes to get some sacks will balance things. Still, my qb throws the same amount of interceptions whether it's a long or short pass, but he doesn't take sacks throwing short. I want that to stop.

It's just that these plays that kind of work in 4.6 are overpowered only cause the other plays are pretty useless in comparison . Only cause horrible reads vs. A man under defense with help over the top.

I wish I could see how well all my opponents due with that play vs. My defense . But by feeling alone when I go to scouting and see a bunch of these money plays I get worried about a poor defensive outing.

Its the reads/timing and spacing that makes these plays so valuable now . A win/loss of a single roll could be a td. Or that's how I see 4.5 and beyond. These plays have to be that good to balance the final numbers of the plays that are so bad. On paper it looks ok, but when you see why you make game plans like this.

What if that were 95 speed wr...or better yet elite speed guys at every skill position . Like I said 10 money plays called 5 times each is a good offense . Either way it feels exploitable, but in theory I like it cause it has opened up the run game some. Only cause the defensive plays that can stop these plays are pass defenses.

By shauma_llama
6/14/2019 6:39 am
I'm not sure what to make of the results. I hit it for big gains several times in the first half. My split-end had nearly 300 receiving yards, and we had a 30-2 lead before interception-palooza started. I guess the game decided " enough of this s***". In the other league, in our last game, all across the game that week it was run 42 times, 33 completions, 7 TDs, about 20 ypc and no INTs. Nobody was trying to run it "too much" as an exploit, however. So broken, OP, yes/no -- I don't know. Hard to evaluate when it started in on all the "overuse penalties". How would it work without that?

Last edited at 6/14/2019 6:42 am

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
6/14/2019 8:49 am
I did a quick analysis of this play in the Electrosports league as well as Beta:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/jon.baker#!/vizhome/MFNIFormationNormalPAFullbackTest/Sheet1?publish=yes

Basically, each horizontal column is a defensive play, and the dots each represent an offensive play and its average performance against the defensive play. The orange indicators are the PA Fullback Flat. At this view, it seems to be in line with any other play - but if you see something about the way the defense tends to respond, please continue to analyze it and specifically what the defensive players are doing that should be fixed.

By Duval
6/14/2019 4:08 pm
My 2 cents. One way to solve this is to expand the playbook for both sides. On offense you would get a warning once a play is used 3 times in any game and a penalty would start being applied on the 4th and increase with each additional use. There should also be a mechanism in place that would detect a play that's been used twice and apply a modifier to reduce the chance it would be called in a situation that would call for it, granted there are other options available and the above play isn't overly weighted to be called. There should be an additional penalty/modifier for running the same route out of different formations and running the same gap from different formations etc.. this could trigger a bit less often, even less often for running plays, than the play overuse penalty. Again it would take a much bigger playbook.

defense, base plays that aren't blitzing should never be penalized for overuse, this is totally on the offense to know what base the defense plays (scouting) and makes their adjustments. Blitz plays should be penalized probably starting at 4 plays called, and again another penalty for using different formations to blitz the same gap etc.

I just can't see audibles being something that could be implemented. The nature of the audible is that you do it real time. On offense this would be broken quickly, if the defense calls this i have an audible set to this,.. but the defense can't adjust to the offense's audible, so they are stuck in the same play. Broken very quickly.

The game should be balanced in the sense that you can't use the same play or same route/gap concept over and over. Right now the playbook is small and even smaller considering the amount of effective plays.. made even smaller by the fact some plays are actually useless.
Last edited at 6/14/2019 4:14 pm

By raymattison21
6/14/2019 5:29 pm
Duval wrote:
My 2 cents. One way to solve this is to expand the playbook for both sides. On offense you would get a warning once a play is used 3 times in any game and a penalty would start being applied on the 4th and increase with each additional use. There should also be a mechanism in place that would detect a play that's been used twice and apply a modifier to reduce the chance it would be called in a situation that would call for it, granted there are other options available and the above play isn't overly weighted to be called. There should be an additional penalty/modifier for running the same route out of different formations and running the same gap from different formations etc.. this could trigger a bit less often, even less often for running plays, than the play overuse penalty. Again it would take a much bigger playbook.

defense, base plays that aren't blitzing should never be penalized for overuse, this is totally on the offense to know what base the defense plays (scouting) and makes their adjustments. Blitz plays should be penalized probably starting at 4 plays called, and again another penalty for using different formations to blitz the same gap etc.

I just can't see audibles being something that could be implemented. The nature of the audible is that you do it real time. On offense this would be broken quickly, if the defense calls this i have an audible set to this,.. but the defense can't adjust to the offense's audible, so they are stuck in the same play. Broken very quickly.

The game should be balanced in the sense that you can't use the same play or same route/gap concept over and over. Right now the playbook is small and even smaller considering the amount of effective plays.. made even smaller by the fact some plays are actually useless.

That's kind of how it works here. You only see the citation if the play result has been effected. The gaps and route thing are not, but I don't see real coverage working that way unless the db has a tell. Perhaps more intelligent player could pick up on that a bit here.

Audibles would function the same way the nfl does. The offense comes out in a certain formation and might audible . The defense might audible too , but neither knows what the other guys is going to call unless there's shift/motion to distinguish between man or zone coverage .

In thoery here both the offense could audible into plays let's say 3 different plays per formation. One that's balanced, one to defend the run, and one to defend the pass. Depending your opponents success with certain plays in that formation ...... Let's say it a run left being abused . ..your run audible could be a blitz instead of a 2 deep man under .

This would give a slight version of in game audibles like the nfl. Just have a slider to how often you want to throw your team in to audible . Coaches would see this and adjust...we don't have that. So we have the play abuse that nerfs skill ratings of the abuser.

The game play adjustment kinda works this way. Throwing your calls short or long depending on yards gained . Just do it within the individual plays and set audibles per formation.

This would act as a similar deterrent to abuse cause your opponent could just do an audible to a better play like the nfl and we could take that nerf out.

By TarquinTheDark
6/14/2019 11:20 pm
The first interception, with a notification, but called back . . . happened at the start of the 2nd quarter. So, as part of a book with 12+ plays, it would still be a game-killer for shauma.

I've called PA Fullback Flats 27 times so far this regular season in beta, with 100% familiarity. It's been effective (7.2 YPA) . . . but I have 14 other plays with lower familiarity and better averages. My offensive playbook is supposedly Run Focused, but my top 15 are 8 LP, 3 MP, 3 SP, & 1 IR (7 of the passes are from please auto-key this formations). Apparently I've been running just enough to keep from getting correctly keyed on every single play.

#1 21 Weak - All Go
#2 21 Normal - FL Hitch
#3 22 - TE Deep Corner
#4 01 Empty - Slot Crosses
#5 21 Normal - HB Blast
#6 01 Wide - Deep Middle
#7 01 Empty - WR Post Corner
#8 11 Singleback Normal - FL Go
#9 21 Normal - SE Post
#10 20 Split Backs - Drag In
#11 00 - WR Curls
#12 00 - 5W Deep Ins
#13 01 Empty - Spread Deep Corner Post
#14 00 - Parallel Slants
#15 21 Normal - PA Fullback Flats

4.5 (elite but not hyper-fast or hyper-familiar)
In CUST-35, I've called it 5 times in 7 games this season with 72% familiarity, averaging 0.4 YPA. Historically this team has averaged 5.2 YPA with it. My receivers here are not all speedsters, with several I've gone for a mix of athleticism, size, & cross-trained hands skills in order to give them "bounciness".

4.5 (strong pass-focused offense)
In Mixed FL, I've called it 21 times in 8 games, with 100% familiarity, averaging 4.2 YPA. Historically, 6 YPA.
Last edited at 6/14/2019 11:41 pm