NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 2019 playoffs

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
11/07/2014 7:27 am
Ok - I'm going to roll this change back. I've run several tests since I pushed it and boy howdy did it fix the sweeps ... too much. So at least I am on the right track, but since it's still broken I'm going to let the bowl game play out with the previous logic.

By JCSwishMan33
11/07/2014 8:17 am
Maybe base it on a RB / WR's acceleration versus a DB's ability to cover the particular situation (Run / M2M / Zone)? I think if you know someone's got a good motor and can get up to their top speed quick, you're going to want to "lead" the ball carrier more quicky and decisively than you would if another ball carrier wasn't quick to get up to speed.

Example: You're more prone to just run at an RB with poor 'quickness' to bring him down, just because you know he's not going to gear up to speed quickly. Whereas if you knew another RB could jam on the gas and get up to speed rapidly, you'd want to lead him a little more to try and anticipate to hit him before he can get up to speed and be gone.

Just a thought?

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
11/07/2014 10:15 am
JCSwishMan33 wrote:
Maybe base it on a RB / WR's acceleration versus a DB's ability to cover the particular situation (Run / M2M / Zone)? I think if you know someone's got a good motor and can get up to their top speed quick, you're going to want to "lead" the ball carrier more quicky and decisively than you would if another ball carrier wasn't quick to get up to speed.

Example: You're more prone to just run at an RB with poor 'quickness' to bring him down, just because you know he's not going to gear up to speed quickly. Whereas if you knew another RB could jam on the gas and get up to speed rapidly, you'd want to lead him a little more to try and anticipate to hit him before he can get up to speed and be gone.

Just a thought?

That's actually happening, and for the most part the pursuit algorithm is working correctly. The problem is that there is a point where if ballcarrier is running too slow, the algorithm will never cause the tackler to actually approach him - he's continuing to try to cut him off - thus the switch to running straight toward him if he's running below a certain speed. That speed is probably too high, which is what I changed - resulting in the pursuit angles being much better on the sweep, but now the RB rarely gets past the LOS at all, which is why I rolled it back - I'll keep tweaking it and find the balance or probably more likely figure out why he can't gain yardage with proper pursuit angles and fix it from that perspective.

By Wolfpack
11/07/2014 4:01 pm
I think on the sweep plays, part of the issue is that the runner takes a large angle change that the AI doesn't anticipate. Meaning, the defense tracks the runner when he is moving mostly laterally then when he hits the corner, the runner turns up field and the pursuit is horribly off.

Ideally, the defense(at least the non-DL) flows to the edge and waits for the runner to turn up field rather than trying to case him to the sideline. Thats more in line with how a defense is taught to play an outside run and why at the NFL level, it doesn't work much anymore with out some misdirection. The defense has less distance to travel and is just as fast.

I'd also think about how running a play multiple times in a game affects things too. We have some teams this year that ran sweeps 10+ times a game. The defense should know what is coming at some point and get a jump on the pursuit / flow?

By chinaski
11/08/2014 2:23 am
Grats to NYJ, nice work keeping Lyons in check.

By Detroit Leo
11/08/2014 3:58 am
Congrats NJ. 4 interceptions for my squad absolutely crushed us. QB picked a bad day to throw to the other team. Haha.

By Morbid
11/08/2014 8:24 am
Gratz NJ!!!!!!

Great Season

By Morbid
11/08/2014 8:25 am
Detroit Leo wrote:
Congrats NJ. 4 interceptions for my squad absolutely crushed us. QB picked a bad day to throw to the other team. Haha.

Peyton Manning?

By Firefly
11/08/2014 9:18 am
Congrats, Tecra! You got a little bit of a dynasty thing going on

By Detroit Leo
11/08/2014 9:24 am
Morbid wrote:
Detroit Leo wrote:

Peyton Manning?

Haha. I take nothing away from that man and refuse to criticize his poor playoff performances. GOAT