NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Free Agency 2025

By RLWJR
11/19/2015 11:19 pm
I've said it like 18 times and I'll say it again..... Money not spent be the end of the season, might as well be considered opportunity completely pissed away...... The cpu is intelligent, as long as it needs the talent and can afford to replace whoever it bumps off the roster to make room for the old codger....

By mrfakename
11/20/2015 10:01 am
RLWJR wrote:
I've said it like 18 times and I'll say it again..... Money not spent be the end of the season, might as well be considered opportunity completely pissed away...... The cpu is intelligent, as long as it needs the talent and can afford to replace whoever it bumps off the roster to make room for the old codger....

Intelligence or not i would never sign those old guys. Perhaps for a superbowl push. But since i cannot get fired the urgency to win now is lost. Also losing the urg to gamble on a vet.

Im under 50 mil in cap ever year and will wait for that right time to go all in. Its easy to build through draft and the bust rate is not significant enough to not count on the draft to get good players.

Old guys dropping off in strength and speed is worse than a rookie not developing in skill areas. The trade off here makes what the cpu is doing a poor choice.

I would rather have 4 superbowls from a strongly drafted roster than one from a FA built one. Like i said if i could get fired i might think signing old vets is good. But for now they will be prevelant in FA.

Perhaps it the better drafts of late weeding out guys in the older drafts. It does seem there is some gaming going on. Like we know something the cpu doesnt. Or maybe it the othe way around.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
11/20/2015 10:07 am
mrfakename wrote:
Like we know something the cpu doesnt. Or maybe it the othe way around.

You know more than the CPU does, the algorithms for signing players by the AI is pretty simple. If the player has a better rating than the ones on their team and they can afford them at what they will need to sign, the CPU will make the offer. It doesn't really take into consideration a lot of the nuances that a human player will.

By WarEagle
11/20/2015 1:48 pm
mrfakename wrote:

... Its easy to build through draft and the bust rate is not significant enough to not count on the draft to get good players.

You are obviously better at evaluating draft prospects than I am. I have plenty of busts.

I would much rather have an 80+ rated vet on my team for 1 or 2 years than to have a 60 rated rookie ride the pine for 4 years.

But, like you said, it's all a personal preference. I want to win every game I can, and I think in most cases having the 80+ rated vet gives me a better chance than the 60 rated youngster.

By Morbid
11/20/2015 3:33 pm
WarEagle wrote:
mrfakename wrote:

... Its easy to build through draft and the bust rate is not significant enough to not count on the draft to get good players.

You are obviously better at evaluating draft prospects than I am. I have plenty of busts.

I would much rather have an 80+ rated vet on my team for 1 or 2 years than to have a 60 rated rookie ride the pine for 4 years.

But, like you said, it's all a personal preference. I want to win every game I can, and I think in most cases having the 80+ rated vet gives me a better chance than the 60 rated youngster.

I play in many leagues and i havnt had a player gain over 4 points in any of the leagues in a couple seasons.

I like to win as well quickly and will use the free agency over draft any day. I would rather sign players that I already know their trend than gamble. I can get 60 rated players in FA pretty much any time.

If I am keeping 5th round or later draft choices on my team it must have been a deep draft or I am just filling my roster because of salary cap.

By mrfakename
11/20/2015 4:18 pm
Morbid wrote:
WarEagle wrote:
mrfakename wrote:

I play in many leagues and i havnt had a player gain over 4 points in any of the leagues in a couple seasons.

I like to win as well quickly and will use the free agency over draft any day. I would rather sign players that I already know their trend than gamble. I can get 60 rated players in FA pretty much any time.

If I am keeping 5th round or later draft choices on my team it must have been a deep draft or I am just filling my roster because of salary cap.

If you hit on 4 picks a year as a nfl gm. You are the best there is. Realistically 1 or two hits is very good. And here a 99 busting 30 points is still a good player. They never ryan leaf here. Just completely dissappear.

And in two years that old 80 rated vet is below the 60 rated scrub. Yes they are to win now but with out being able to be fired there is no need to win now. The gamble is too high. I dont want to wreck my team with a hasty decision.

IMO the draft is super safe when compared to the nfl which does effect FA here. I will mess with the big money contracts it when i make a superbowl push. Thats it. Well i like UDFAs . i might pick up a few who might boom in the future to say like a 60 plus.

By WarEagle
11/20/2015 10:02 pm
4 out of 7 picks makes the you the best GM in the NFL?

That doesn't sound right to me.

Are you saying that most NFL teams have more than half of their draft picks not make the team (or be a bust after a couple of years)?

If I owned a team and my GM drafted like this, he'd be fired pretty quick.

By mrfakename
11/20/2015 11:30 pm
WarEagle wrote:

Are you saying that most NFL teams have more than half of their draft picks not make the team (or be a bust after a couple of years)?

If I owned a team and my GM drafted like this, he'd be fired pretty quick.

Im just paraphrasing hear but i read it from ozzie newsome. A great nfl gm. And look up some stats. More Pro bowlers come from UDFAs than rounds four through seven combined. It does not sound right but its true. Hitting on four guys a year for ten years will give you a solid team here. I will prove it.

By JCSwishMan33
11/23/2015 8:23 am
WarEagle wrote:

Wouldn't say the best GM in the league (unless all those were late-rounders), but certainly you'd be a GM with some sort of 'in-the-know' ability.

Meanwhile, the Browns have 12 FIRST ROUND picks since '07, and have hit on (in my opinion) a grand total of 3: Mack, Haden, and Thomas. If that doesn't show a complete lack of planning, preparation, and basic knowledge, I don't know what does.

By jsid
11/28/2015 2:12 am
After all this talk about cap **** and it looks like there's only two teams that are in any trouble...