NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Offensive yardage rounding

By Tecra031
9/30/2013 9:24 am
I think this was discussed a while back, but I noticed that EVERY offensive play in my game this week was rounded down one yard on both sides of the ball. Example, If my RB had a 5yd run on 1st down, it was 2nd and 4, not 2nd and 5. Then a 6yd run on 2nd down, it was 3 and 1, not a 1st down. So two runs of 5yd and 6yd netted a 3rd and 1 instead of a 1st down. Any way there can be more a 50/50 split of rounding up? Also, every 10yd play (both run and pass) resulted in 2nd and 1.

Re: Offensive yardage rounding

By Tecra031
9/30/2013 9:28 am
A good example are my teams first two offensive plays from scrimmage in this week's game vs Jax. 6yd pass on 1st down and 5yd run on second down gave us a 3rd and 1.

By ZootMurph
9/30/2013 10:40 am
Dear nero's friend,

If you player runs for 5.5 yards on first down, it is second and 4.5 yards to go. So it is considered a 5 yard run and it is second and 4. If you player runs 3.1 yards the replay says he ran for 3 and that it is second and 6. Basically the game is chopping off the decimal so that the replay looks as it would sound if you were watching on TV. You don't hear an announcer say xxx ran for 3.4 yards it will be second and 6.6 yards to go.

Again, this does not affect anything in the game... Only the way you read it.

By Tecra031
9/30/2013 11:07 am
It does affect the game. Do the math....5yds + 6yds = 11yds = 1st down. Not 9yds = 3rd and 1. It changes what your offensive formation and play calling is. Every play shouldn't be rounded down. 5.5 yds can easily be rounded to 6 just the same. I am just looking for equality in the rounding-off process. Also, this was for the moderator to consider. You make the most posts on here of anybody, all the things YOU want to see. As soon as anyone else makes a post or suggestion you comment on why/how they are wrong or are dismissive. Let JDB decide if this is something worth looking into or tweaking. It clearly isn't just me if this was brought up before.

By nero
9/30/2013 11:29 am
ZootMurph wrote:
If you player runs 3.1 yards the replay says he ran for 3 and that it is second and 6. Basically the game is chopping off the decimal so that the replay looks as it would sound if you were watching on TV. You don't hear an announcer say xxx ran for 3.4 yards it will be second and 6.6 yards to go.

You also don't hear an announcer say "he gained 4 on the play bringing up 2nd and 7".

Real or perceived, there's an issue here that needs to be managed. At a certain point the math and the rounding lose importance but how we interpret the quality of the game play becomes the focus and it's something that needs to be addressed to make the experience more enjoyable for the user.

The best example that I could give I did, and Firefly experienced it as well when our players gained 11 on 2nd and 10 and ended up in 3rd and inches. Since any fraction between 10 and 11 should yield a first down I think it's clear as day that there's something going on here outside of just rounding.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/30/2013 12:06 pm
The rounding was indeed rounding up, and I'm not 100% sure why I did it that way. I've got some pending changes (playing with the home field advantage issue) and will include an update for this with that.

I think I did it because it annoyed me that it would be 3rd and inches and a player would run for 0 yards and result in a first down, but I think that's preferable to what it's doing now. I probably need to modify the text for > 0.5 yards.

By nero
9/30/2013 12:57 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
The rounding was indeed rounding up, and I'm not 100% sure why I did it that way. I've got some pending changes (playing with the home field advantage issue) and will include an update for this with that.

I think I did it because it annoyed me that it would be 3rd and inches and a player would run for 0 yards and result in a first down, but I think that's preferable to what it's doing now. I probably need to modify the text for > 0.5 yards.

This might or might not be related to the home field issue but I've noticed that in the test league I almost always kicked off the start the game whereas here I almost always receive the opening kickoff.

There are no absolutes here but definitely a strong tendency that I've picked up on.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/01/2013 7:10 am
Just pushed an update that rounds to the nearest value in the play-by-play.

By nero
10/01/2013 7:33 am
ZootMurph wrote:
Dear nero's friend,

If you player runs for 5.5 yards on first down, it is second and 4.5 yards to go. So it is considered a 5 yard run and it is second and 4. If you player runs 3.1 yards the replay says he ran for 3 and that it is second and 6. Basically the game is chopping off the decimal so that the replay looks as it would sound if you were watching on TV. You don't hear an announcer say xxx ran for 3.4 yards it will be second and 6.6 yards to go.

Again, this does not affect anything in the game... Only the way you read it.

Now would be a good time to post "I stand corrected".

By Groo
10/01/2013 8:23 am
It's funny how you and your brother decided to double team Zoot, who seems to have done a lot for this game already.

Maybe, just maybe, you should rethink your stance. There are very few players staying here already after their 5 credits are gone. Instead of starting a war, maybe you should apologize for having your brother come on and restart an old complaint, as well as apologizing to Zoot for trying to keep the focus on actual game issues, not something I find nonsensical like this.

If this is your big contribution to the game... wow.