NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: Offensive yardage rounding

By ZootMurph
10/01/2013 8:29 am
I say my thoughts and am done with it. I don't come back with 'I told you so' or anything else. We are here to a) enjoy the game and b) to help make it better.

I gave my thoughts on this issue way back in another thread. When I don't get what I want, I don't have someone else create another thread for me to continue to try to get what I want. This is so much of a non issue that it isn't even funny. The only reason JDB did something about it is because you recruited your brother to aid you in complaining about it. He didn't do anything the first time because, like I said, it's a non issue. If anything, as Groo said, you should apologize to the community for acting like a child "I didn't get what I wanted, waaaaaaaa... hey brother, help me out, write another post about this for me." Seriously, grow up.

For the record, I was done with this thread UNTIL your last post. It was unnecessary and childish. Again, grow up.

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
10/01/2013 8:34 am
nero wrote:
ZootMurph wrote:
Dear nero's friend,

If you player runs for 5.5 yards on first down, it is second and 4.5 yards to go. So it is considered a 5 yard run and it is second and 4. If you player runs 3.1 yards the replay says he ran for 3 and that it is second and 6. Basically the game is chopping off the decimal so that the replay looks as it would sound if you were watching on TV. You don't hear an announcer say xxx ran for 3.4 yards it will be second and 6.6 yards to go.

Again, this does not affect anything in the game... Only the way you read it.

Now would be a good time to post "I stand corrected".

You guys really need to be in the same division.

It's still a compromise either way, because you're going to get runs for 0 yards that get first downs and score touchdowns now, where that didn't happen before. But doing it this way will at least cause most of the sums to total more accurately. The stats didn't have this rounding, and it didn't have any effect on the game, just what was in the play-by-play.

By nero
10/01/2013 8:39 am
Groo wrote:
It's funny how you and your brother decided to double team Zoot, who seems to have done a lot for this game already.

Maybe, just maybe, you should rethink your stance. There are very few players staying here already after their 5 credits are gone. Instead of starting a war, maybe you should apologize for having your brother come on and restart an old complaint, as well as apologizing to Zoot for trying to keep the focus on actual game issues, not something I find nonsensical like this.

If this is your big contribution to the game... wow.

This is actually part of a larger conversation but the main points are...

1) I don't take people's sides, I take the side of the game's user experience and data. If Zoot and my brother had taken the opposite points of view mine would have coincided with Zoot's. And you can ask Tecra yourself, I'm not exactly famous for blindly backing people up, even when it's family.

2) My issues with Zoot have nothing to do with his participation and his involvement which speaking frankly, are fantastic. I wish every owner was as involved and willing to dig into the finer points to help uncover issues far beneath the surface. I only take exception to how sometimes he takes an argument a bit far and makes it personal when it doesn't need to be. The fact that two owners invest the additional time to share their thoughts and offer their distinct points of view only helps the game and is valuable, I just don't see any reason for it to be anything less than civil and respectful. That being said, my comment was probably not needed.

3) And an apology to JDB, I'll try to contribute more.

By nero
10/01/2013 8:40 am
jdavidbakr wrote:

You guys really need to be in the same division.

Wouldn't matter, I couldn't hate any team worse than the $%!$·% Jets

By Groo
10/01/2013 8:45 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
It's still a compromise either way, because you're going to get runs for 0 yards that get first downs and score touchdowns now, where that didn't happen before. But doing it this way will at least cause most of the sums to total more accurately. The stats didn't have this rounding, and it didn't have any effect on the game, just what was in the play-by-play.

How about a "I was wrong and wasted a lot of people's time here." nero and Tecra?

By nero
10/01/2013 8:47 am
Groo wrote:
jdavidbakr wrote:

How about a "I was wrong and wasted a lot of people's time here." nero and Tecra?

What was it that I was wrong about? A gain of 11 on 2nd and 10 is a first down, no matter how you round it.

By ZootMurph
10/01/2013 9:02 am
I'm going to quote Rodney King here, children...

"Can't we all just get along?"

By nero
10/01/2013 9:04 am
ZootMurph wrote:
I'm going to quote Rodney King here, children...

"Can't we all just get along?"

I'm down... *handshake*

By nero
10/01/2013 9:07 am
Groo wrote:

There are very few players staying here already after their 5 credits are gone.

We sort of glossed over this but this is a far bigger issue with rounding. Do you happen to know the exact reasons they're jumping ship?

By Tecra031
10/01/2013 7:48 pm
Groo/Zoot,

I just want to clear the air on a couple of things that stemmed from my posting my thoughts after the discussion got a bit out of hand. This will be my last add to this post:

1 - Not only was I never asked by Nero to post anything to any thread, I actually never spoke to him about it before I posted it. I came to the table with a legit concern and provided factual examples to support my thought process with actual plays from my game this week. We are extremely competitive with each other and he doesn't do anything for me and vice-versa unless there is a bigger issue at hand.

2 - Regardless of whether or not you agree with my suggestion, no need to bash it because you personally think it has little value or disagree. I clearly thought otherwise and my voice should be able to be heard just the same as anyone else, regardless of whether or not any change ends up being implemented. Jon gets plenty of suggestions, some better than others. While mine might not be 'game altering', does not mean it has no value. Most individual suggestions are not game altering, but as a whole they shape the game.

3 - One of you referenced that last time this was brought up I didn't say anything. While I have played fantasy football for almost 20 years now, I never have done a SIM league like this. Season 1 for me was a huge learning curve just trying to figure out how to play this game (you can validate that by my dismal results from season 1). You all clearly have years of experience over me on this. So while most of you came to the table immediately with all sorts of concerns/recommendations based on previous experience, I had no point of reference and used season one just to understand the game. If you look, I only started making any posts this season as I have started to understand the SIM world more.

4 - I am not looking for any bad blood with anyone in any league, but I hope you would take some of these things into consideration before saying things such as I am a parrot for Nero or anything of that sort. You had no way of knowing any of this before I typed it, but don't be so quick to be dismissive or make snap judgements on what you think happened without all the facts.

I want to enjoy this game as much as the next person, and that means that sometimes the things that matter to me may not be what matters to you and vice-versa. Doesn't make either of us wrong, just different perspectives. Hopefully that is what Jon wants so he can make the ultimate decisions on what works and what doesn't.

I now extend the Olive branch to end the squabble. It is just a game after all.