NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

[0.4.6] Version c3ae1e9

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
8/22/2019 7:55 pm
Another tweak for week 9, again with zone coverage response times.

Re: [0.4.6] Version c3ae1e9

By setherick
8/22/2019 8:18 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Another tweak for week 9, again with zone coverage response times.

This bug needs to be fixed at some point (preferably soon, but it's be around since at least the 0.3.x days): https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/10178#1856071

On this play, the WR is going to hit the sideline and then cut immediately back across the field. This is not the bug.

This is the bug. The QB throws the ball to the spot where the WR is going to cut back. There is no possible way that the QB knows where to throw the ball at this point, but he makes the psychic choice to throw it to the perfect spot where the WR is going to come cutting back. The QB throws the ball (14:15) a FULL SECOND before the WR cuts (14:14).

What should happen is something like this:

1) QB throws to the place where the WR's route is going to end at the sideline
2) WR cuts to that location
3) WR and DB have a chance to play the ball
4) If neither the WR or DB makes a play on the ball, the ball needs to go out of bounds

I assume there is some code correction issue that is causing this (preventing a X/0 or negative value error).

---

The problem with long passing has always been the ball placement. There are no overthrown long ***** (even though that is the most common in the NFL) and there are no out of bounds throws where the QB is putting the ball where the WR can make a play on it.
Last edited at 8/22/2019 9:11 pm

By TarquinTheDark
8/24/2019 7:32 am
Still too many bad QB decisions, throwing into double/triple coverage, that's before the zone defenders get involved.

Seth, did you have hurry up turned completely off? I won by six, you still had two timeouts and your team ran the clock out.

By setherick
8/24/2019 7:46 am
TarquinTheDark wrote:
Still too many bad QB decisions, throwing into double/triple coverage, that's before the zone defenders get involved.

Seth, did you have hurry up turned completely off? I won by six, you still had two timeouts and your team ran the clock out.

I don't know. I was going to check that. I don't have most of my game plan installed since I've really only been testing plays.

Update: Yeah, it was still set to 0. I had been controlling that through rules and I didn't install them.
Last edited at 8/24/2019 7:52 am

By raymattison21
8/24/2019 7:53 pm
I liked what I saw last game. Coincidental or not, just watching the game, safeties held better position and less big whiffs were attempted. Ourr strict zone defense knocked down almost as many passes as a man under ...to me that means there more near the target when the ball gets there. I swear zone LBers were reacting to the run quicker as well. All good stuff!

I expected lower scores , and there were some, but there was some real high scores too. Mostly vS blitzing .... and Philadelphias qb Shenk tore it up. Picking them apart with alot of completions and not so many big gains but the defense had only a handful of dbs...so..... Carolinas , qb , Noble and thier all pass offense was iced by tampa. They picked him off seven times! But tampa pass defense is pretty legit and they played a lot of 1, 2, and 3 deep.

By raymattison21
8/26/2019 11:56 am
Last week games had 23 teams score only 17 points and under. The defense might have taken the edge in terms of what might be more over powered now. I would let this play out the next few weeks to see what happens. I have a tough D then a tough O to face in the coming games, but my bets are on the defense . It would be nice to see how the code works in the AI test league to see how the numbers compare to the start of this seasons numbers , cause zone seem better since.

I am really starting to see things come down to plays and player matchups, but I can't figure why teams can't really stop my wr2 Frese. He does have elite skills in bump, courage , intelligence and has 89 speed, but are route and catching making up anywhere else for that initial release, seperation and catch over the db I am seeing him get?

Atlanta s got a good secondary so I will be watching to see what they do, and I debating to switching to a real defense sometime soon . At least try to put some attempt of more balanced D.

By raymattison21
8/26/2019 12:04 pm
Just as a note the lowest accuracy used this season was a guy with 61 and two guys have 66, but the rest were 70 and above with plenty of 90-100s. I wonder what the lowest is needed to be effective here. Maybe that has softened up a bit. I played a 27 accuracy guys in preseason and he completed at least some passes .

By setherick
8/26/2019 7:13 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
Just as a note the lowest accuracy used this season was a guy with 61 and two guys have 66, but the rest were 70 and above with plenty of 90-100s. I wonder what the lowest is needed to be effective here. Maybe that has softened up a bit. I played a 27 accuracy guys in preseason and he completed at least some passes .

Anything < 50 is iffy, and < 40 was unplayable, in 0.4.5. I know because I was experimenting with low accuracy QBs with high Intelligence, Release, and other attributes. That said, this guy had a monster game in my first game in 2: https://mfn2.myfootballnow.com/player/12294

Look at his completion % and INTs from last season and realize that was when he was a < 50 Accuracy player.

By setherick
8/27/2019 4:19 am
Why did completion percentage tank last game? What changed?

By raymattison21
8/27/2019 6:33 am
setherick wrote:
Why did completion percentage tank last game? What changed?

It's that slight adjustment to zone. 21 teams scored 17 points or under . Man coverage is pretty tight and zone is right behind that. The balance in terms of effectiveness is closer more than ever.

I think man should be loosened a little , and possibly zone too....or we could check the reads of qb. They could be better . ..I saw some wide open recievers missed or some forced passes.

All three of these things are close in terms of balance but slightly changing one ...seems to drastically change another and right now I am thinking the defense has slight the advantage in the passing game.

Maybe its the dump off logic missing these wide wrs coming underneath , but I am seeing backs get behind the flat coverage and getting targets there. That goaline pass play was looking pretty ugly vs. Man, and I saw a hot read to the rb that looked like a shovel pass.

Pass blocking, pressure , and the fact the qb doesn't run is probably messing stuff up too