NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Re: [0.4.6] Version 85f6023a

By raymattison21
6/20/2020 6:22 am
setherick wrote:
The problem with blocking is, has, and will always be that the OL does not move laterally on the snap to their assigned man. Instead, they move upfield or downfield depending on if the play is a run or a pass.

The biomechanics of blocking are also terribly broken. Most OL use their reach to their advantage by occupying as much space as possible. MFN OL make themselves skinny.

Plays like this do a good job of illustrating it: https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/watch/4863#882650

It really should be hotfixed unless y'all don't mind that I have 58 sacks in USFL right now.

All the sacks that 237 pounder playing LDE that game happened the same way. He would line head up on the G , but for some reason the G would double team with the already occupied C.....leaving a free shot on the QB. The RT tried to get there but with that weight difference theres no chance....no one was even charged with a sack.

That G should have stayed home and blocked the LDE...no?

By setherick
6/20/2020 8:24 am
raymattison21 wrote:
setherick wrote:
The problem with blocking is, has, and will always be that the OL does not move laterally on the snap to their assigned man. Instead, they move upfield or downfield depending on if the play is a run or a pass.

The biomechanics of blocking are also terribly broken. Most OL use their reach to their advantage by occupying as much space as possible. MFN OL make themselves skinny.

Plays like this do a good job of illustrating it: https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/watch/4863#882650

It really should be hotfixed unless y'all don't mind that I have 58 sacks in USFL right now.

All the sacks that 237 pounder playing LDE that game happened the same way. He would line head up on the G , but for some reason the G would double team with the already occupied C.....leaving a free shot on the QB. The RT tried to get there but with that weight difference theres no chance....no one was even charged with a sack.

That G should have stayed home and blocked the LDE...no?

That isn't exactly right.

What happens is the RG turns his back on his player at the start of the play because it's a passing play and he has to move back and out to pass block.

And the RG then never picks his man back up.

Good pass blocking is always up/lateral engage, and then fall back to position if there is no one man up or blitzing. MFN gets this backward.

Update: To be clear, the fast and easy way to fix this is to have the OL fire off the ball like they do on running plays and engage their man, then pass block. (It's the old FBPro 98 trick.)
Last edited at 6/20/2020 12:24 pm

By raymattison21
6/20/2020 1:52 pm
That’s interesting. The LG on the prior play does not spin around and just engages the RDE but for some reason everyone is spinning around one way or another .Sometimes it’s to the left sometimes to the right and it looks like the C spins first then the rest do it a split second later.

Your saying they don’t know who to block until they spin and check? And some times they spin the wrong way an d lose sight of who to block? That can’t be good

By setherick
6/20/2020 1:58 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
That’s interesting. The LG on the prior play does not spin around and just engages the RDE but for some reason everyone is spinning around one way or another .Sometimes it’s to the left sometimes to the right and it looks like the C spins first then the rest do it a split second later.

Your saying they don’t know who to block until they spin and check? And some times they spin the wrong way an d lose sight of who to block? That can’t be good

No what I'm saying, and what is on the play card is that they move back and out on the snap, which is what an OL should do in pass block WHEN there is no one lined up against him.

The problem is that the blocking scheme is not complex enough to handle actual blocking assignment. It really should be: identify man, move laterally to engage, and if no one, then block back and out.

On the short passing plays, most of them at least, the OL blocks appropriately because they engage the man.
Last edited at 6/20/2020 1:59 pm

By raymattison21
6/21/2020 6:50 am
Either way this looks pretty buggy. I would like to try it here in beta or just see it under this code from anyone. I had this same coach or coach styles and haven’t run 46 in ages cause I don’t have that play.

The simple fix it to be the head up guy to block the man in front of him. Punt doesn’t have the same exact alignment and target of attack from the smaller rusher a cb playing dt , but there he runs right past the G as well despite the head up.

Facing the 46 With the SLBer dropping into coverage the RT would available to help out, but I don’t ever see him being assigned to block a full gap away. That’s a bug for sure....well unless the dline all slanted down, but it still doesn’t make sense

This is like fast DEs years ago with 50 sacks. Online would just spin around and the QB would roll out for a sack. No roll outs in 4.5 but everything else looks the same.

4.3 on My teams have allowed a super low sack counts, but i try to avoid them . Right now Gs and Cs are allowing the most sacks in beta cause it’s the shortest distance to the QB.

And really is there something to the blockers spinning around like that? How could they “see” who to block? In other words .... what’s the pass blocking code doing here that just allowing smaller guys to run right past the blocker? It’s like the dB just stopping right before the reception...a bug

As a joke I have suggested bigger and smaller dots, but how much does it matter when occupying space? I see guys run through guys at times but not always , so something is calculated there..right?

A top sacker in 4.5 is like 1 a game. This just is too many. I can’t even get .5 a game from most positions. 4-5 a game from one guy is game breaking. Getting one vs. Smirt in a championship game shows something, but the latter shows an extremely sensitive code. Prone to breaking elsewhere... punts and so on.

By raymattison21
6/21/2020 8:38 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11573#2152926

Here a 4-3 under blitz. This time the LG spins and bails on the rusher head up with him and doubles the rusher to the outside. Similar as it’s not a standard front and the blocker is doing wrongs things..... it’s just on the left side of the line instead of the right vs. the 46 heavy.

Like I said I don’t have much as of plays of reference but I just looked for the one with the with three or more linemen head up and the C being one of them. This is the first passnplay I clicked on and Right now it looks to be a bug of some sort

By raymattison21
6/21/2020 8:44 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11573#2152938

This one all the blockers pick someone up but is that cause my LDE decides to bail on his assignment and half *** cover the back? This is the next play and something doesn’t seem right. Wouldn’t the blitzing LB pick up a release valve here? What’s going on?

By raymattison21
6/21/2020 8:54 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11573#2153022

Same thing here the LG bails and doubles to the outside leaving the back to pick up the dline coming up the middle. DTs are leading the way in sacks and plenty of backs are being charged with sacks. This is showing in the league leaders it’s got to be a bug or a highlight of some poor blocking logic .

I called this play a few more times this game but overuse penalties have to change results some being a blitz but this seems like some sort of exploitable pattern going on here. Especially since your 4.5 results. Speed just cranks up the numbers

By raymattison21
6/21/2020 11:58 am
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11487#2135297

No reason to double here but the C does leaving a straight shot for the DT

By raymattison21
6/21/2020 12:04 pm
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/watch/11487#2135367

Both the LG and RG choose not to block the man head up. Definitely a bug