NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Release 0.4.6 or keep 0.4.5

First, I apologize for my absence - been focusing more on the new UI than the game engine lately. That said, the current 0.4.6 code has been in several leagues for some time now, and I've had a few players reach out to me and suggest that they feel that it is ready to move to all leagues. Other players, I see in the chat, feel strongly against that. I thought I'd take it to a poll. Assuming no significant change to either engine version in the immediate future, would you rather 0.4.6 get pushed to all leagues or keep the engines as they are?

Release 0.4.6 - it's time for an update
Keep 0.4.5 in all leagues - 0.4.6 is not ready for prime time yet

Re: Release 0.4.6 or keep 0.4.5

By setherick
9/07/2021 8:17 pm
Keep 4.5. 4.6 is a step back from the sim in so many ways especially when it comes to passing. Just look at the league leaders in Victory for passing:

1986) 3456 yards
1985) 3828 yards
1984) 4000 yards (@ 5.49 YPA)

Compare that to 1981 where the league leader had 5400 yards @ 9 YPA. I'm sure there was a lot FL Hitch action in that season, but the ball could at least be passed.

I don't know who is reaching out (although I could probably guess), but from what I've seen on the forums there are only one or two people that have played beta extensively that want it.

By raymattison21
9/09/2021 10:28 am
Personally I am very happy playing in admirals leagues. They are full enough and the competition is there. Still for me does that warrant all leagues moving on? Simply said no but again I am not against all leagues changing now. Only cause the bugs in 4.5.

It’s No, because of the flaws

1. Being as Seth said wrs at times can’t get enough separation early in the routes. Whatever it is the bump code(we/dB) , the qb /wr code or play overuse...... numbers in general are too low.

2. The run blocking rating needs to be looked at.... blocks are held too long( in general)

3. Simply said zone and its back seat of effectiveness to a Man zero , 1, or 2 schemes.

4. QB decisions on long passes. Notability the throw vs dump off, scramble for a run or throw it away....which leads to the defensive man responsible for the QB response time.

If #1 was tweaked to nfl standards I think I would call for an immediate release. #s 2-4 would be icing on the cake but could probably be released later.

As for the UI ? I don’t know what that is except for It may make future tweaks easier but no joke around a year ago I had a dream about the game “looking “ different. So true or not I am very excited to see the updates there that are coming. Focus there is a number one priority imo.

And again great work jdb!

By Meatmen
9/13/2021 11:25 pm
I'd like to see a change for the better. I'm happy, I don't know enough about the Technical/code side of MFN. I was in MFN 1 for a cup of coffee and what I saw was defenses seemed better, games were closer and feild position seemed to have a greater impact? It seems like the passing game was cut way back? IDK just my thoughts. I love a good defensive game. Others will not embrace it. It's just the way the real NFL has influenced the evolution of the game. More scoreing, more excitement, more ratings, more $$. Just my opinion but if the passing game gets cut back much more I think that many will be unhappy. Change is needed and often good. I just think the general "mood" of the players I see is that they want an offensive game?.........................................................................MM

By raymattison21
9/14/2021 7:20 am
The votes still 1-1 so I don’t think that’s even enough participation to judge moving forward

By VillagerChris
9/14/2021 9:17 pm
Please add an option to create new leagues with a reduced salary cap.

Thanks.

By raymattison21
9/15/2021 7:10 am
VillagerChris wrote:

Thanks.

It’s meant to be relaxed same as injuries. The salary of High 1sts are low compared (while late 3 rds are expensive?) to the nfl and the renegotiated contracts are low for elite players. This is tied to default scores so.....

Still one thing the nfl has that we don’t is the 89% rule. It forces teams to use current and future cap. (3yrs worth) It’s one reason we can shop picks and pre negotiatied 4 yr players for new future picks in a pyramid scheme to make a team with a lot of multiple first and second round picks every year.

Still , not that it would not be fun to use a reduced cap but the scale would still be off. At least in comparison. Again this tied to the effectiveness of default scores. As the code gets closer, which version 4.5 is not, the cap would not be so exploitable.

Once again I wish him to work on the root cause.... don’t just add bandaids. Like league rules to make up for code inadequacies.

By TheAdmiral
9/16/2021 4:47 am
It's time for change, move on. The current BETA version is far more stable than 0.4.5, those crying the loudest for 4.5 to remain don't want to lose the edge they currently have.

BETA has eliminated Punt Block exploit and the outside slant (FL Hitch etc) glitch. Yes, it's not perfect but there is much less left to resolve in general gameplay. From the experience of running three BETA Leagues with multiple seasons in each, rosters are more balanced, technical aspects play a bigger role and squad depth is hugely important.

In a game that is permanently in development, their will always be areas that need to be improved. In BETA the priority surely has to be the passing game and more specifically slow developing passes. A lot of work has been done with regards QB mobility and OL blocking but more needs to be done with regards to throwing the deep ball.

With JDB reluctant to get involved in debating the minutae of the game, it's tough to know whether or not he has tested some of the 'obvious', 'simple to make' changes that people demand, only to find out that they are actually not that simple to make and may not actually make things better - or conversely, make the rest of the game worse.

As it stands, people are leaving MFN en masse, due to 4.5 frustrations. A switch will no doubt drive others away as people do not embrace change - even if they've been demanding it. However, new players may be more likely to stay as they are not getting slammed by 60 points per game until they find the six plays that work and the 'cheat code style glitches or exploits'.
Last edited at 9/16/2021 4:49 am

By Infinity on Trial
9/16/2021 10:31 am
TheAdmiral wrote:
It's time for change, move on. The current BETA version is far more stable than 0.4.5, those crying the loudest for 4.5 to remain don't want to lose the edge they currently have.

This is not true. The biggest problem with 4.5 is the dysfunctional passing game. Somehow, passing performance is even worse in 4.6.

JDB for years has repeatedly refused to even acknowledge comments about the most glaring problem, which is the unrealistic distribution of speed across positions. As setherick notes, DL can get to the QB before a WR can go 5 yards. As I've said repeatedly, the slowest DB/WR should be faster than the fastest OL/DL. Until that changes, it doesn't really matter what version we use (or what the UI looks like).

Presumably, the poll participation is low because you can only vote if you own a team in this league.

By Infinity on Trial
9/16/2021 10:35 am
VillagerChris wrote:

Thanks.

The better fix would be increasing the min contracts to more realistic numbers (suggestion: $300K per $100M of cap space), with an even higher veteran minimum (i.e. double the minimum for players with 4+ years experience). Then apply the NFL standard of only counting the top 53 contracts plus dead money toward the cap (this would allow you to continue to sign one-year min contracts in perpetuity regardless of cap space).

By TheAdmiral
9/16/2021 11:40 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
TheAdmiral wrote:

This is not true. The biggest problem with 4.5 is the dysfunctional passing game. Somehow, passing performance is even worse in 4.6.

JDB for years has repeatedly refused to even acknowledge comments about the most glaring problem, which is the unrealistic distribution of speed across positions. As setherick notes, DL can get to the QB before a WR can go 5 yards. As I've said repeatedly, the slowest DB/WR should be faster than the fastest OL/DL. Until that changes, it doesn't really matter what version we use (or what the UI looks like).

Presumably, the poll participation is low because you can only vote if you own a team in this league.

Read my post, I clearly state that the passing game needs to be improved. How and when that happens, I don't know.

I don't disagree that the fastest DL should be slower than the slowest Cornerback, but given people line up DB's on the DL to gain an (largely unrealistic) edge, I'm not sure that is hugely relevant. Those guys should get pushed back 5-10 yards and/or take heavier hits with increased risk of injury.

To an extent, the latter now happens in BETA (it's not perfect, but better than 0.4.5).

4.5 only works now if you make up side rules with regards to roster numbers, weight allowance, player agreements not to abuse the system etc. BETA takes that away at least.

Nobody is saying BETA is the finished product, but this has to be a worrying development https://lol.myfootballnow.com/community/1/7048?page=3#42404