NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - Beta Chat

Release 0.4.6 or keep 0.4.5

First, I apologize for my absence - been focusing more on the new UI than the game engine lately. That said, the current 0.4.6 code has been in several leagues for some time now, and I've had a few players reach out to me and suggest that they feel that it is ready to move to all leagues. Other players, I see in the chat, feel strongly against that. I thought I'd take it to a poll. Assuming no significant change to either engine version in the immediate future, would you rather 0.4.6 get pushed to all leagues or keep the engines as they are?

Release 0.4.6 - it's time for an update
Keep 0.4.5 in all leagues - 0.4.6 is not ready for prime time yet

Re: Release 0.4.6 or keep 0.4.5

By Infinity on Trial
9/16/2021 12:14 pm
I was speaking specifically to your assertion that "the current BETA version is far more stable than 0.4.5." It's really a choice between an even worse passing game, or a rule against punt blocks.

By TheAdmiral
9/16/2021 1:17 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
I was speaking specifically to your assertion that "the current BETA version is far more stable than 0.4.5." It's really a choice between an even worse passing game, or a rule against punt blocks.

A lot of the flaws in 4.5 have been fixed in BETA. Yes the passing game has flaws with slow developing plays and deep ***** but that has led to a far more varied and balanced game, with more emphasis on gameplanning and roster building.

It's taken probably two or three seasons for owners to adapt to the nuances of BETA - roster reconstructions, extended playbooks, trial and error etc and it can be really frustrating at times but it's super competitive, challenging and ultimately far more satisfying if and when you win.

By Infinity on Trial
9/16/2021 2:11 pm
Let's not pretend that it has anything to do with "more emphasis on gameplanning and roster building." I played beta extensively, and successfully, before giving up on it. The stats from your leagues speak for themselves. Passing performance is far worse in 4.6 than 4.5.

By Infinity on Trial
9/16/2021 2:15 pm
So many fixed flaws:

By TheAdmiral
9/16/2021 3:16 pm
The passing accuracy stats are in line with the NFL (2020), yards per attempt is the issue - which we all agree on.

There are two or three reasons for that, first teams run more in BETA if you compare the passing attempts made by all teams in the NFL it's roughly 50-70 attempts more per season - approx 4 per game, per team (maybe that's a clock issue that needs to be assessed eg taking one or two seconds less between plays to get an extra 5-10 plays in per game, alternatively maybe their needs to be an option to play a no huddle offense).

If medium and slow developing plays/deep ***** get a small increase in efficiency (ie more catches made) then their will need to be a slightly bigger downgrade in short passing/quick plays to keep the balance right for passing completion percentage. This would also encourage owners to be more expansive in the passing game.

Finally, the majority of passing plays in BETA are quick timing routes and you need to have several options or defenses get wise to the play and shut up shop or you get hit with play overuse or penalised with false start or holding penalties. To improve the yards per attempt you need to have teams more inclined to throw deeper.

Deshaun Watson led the NFL in 2020 with 4823 yards, go around the Leagues in MFN and teams are getting 6000+ yards per season. Looking at that, there needs to be some common ground in the middle.

Assuming that changing the speed settings is more complex than we think it should be. I would suggest making changes to the catch percentages on mid and deep ***** with a reduction on short passes - this doesn't need to be a massive switch to get the desired result. How difficult that is to code I have no idea.

A second idea would be for passing blocks to be held for an extra half second or so, thus giving the QB time to go through his reads

Continue to improve scramble drills, with WR coming back to the ball and/or looking to get space in coverage. Introduce QB spins, pump fakes etc for QB's with better scrambling abilities to get away from pressure.

And then (if it hasn't been done already) look at the speed settings and work on getting them closer to where they should be.

By Chicagobears
9/16/2021 5:37 pm
I hate 4.6, it's much worse than 4.5, which would not be an upgrade if 4.6 is implemented to all leagues. It takes the fun out of football. Excitement on offense is better than a shutdown defense. The passing attack is like going back to the 1930s and running the football 40 times a game is just bland. Would you want the NFL run on every single play like the good ol' 1930s? Or would you want every NFL QB become Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady like the modernized 2020s? At least we can have a good offense in 4.5. If you're saying the cheat codes and tweaks are unfair, that's basically life (unfair). However, would you want life to be bland and boring, or would you want life to be FUN? I'd say everybody come join MFN-1 and choose to keep 4.5 so we don't have to deal with 4.6. Unless 4.7 comes out, I honestly want to leave if 4.6 gets updated to all leagues.
Last edited at 9/16/2021 5:59 pm

By Redneckgopher
9/16/2021 8:04 pm
tbh I play in both and enjoy both, while also not enjoying everything in either.

-passing is easier, rushing more difficult. (if your trying to build a rushing first team)
-So if you like passing and passing to the backs racing to the flats to get a step on the LB or coverage then plus 1
-Speed still seems to be a bit more of a factor and many teams struggle to defend specific passing plays especially if playing against a top WR at the #2 spot. A top QB/WR combo can still wreck a lot of teams even if they are using the 46heavy 2 deep man under as well as the 4-3 normal man OLB flat zone defensive plays. Some teams have drafted the talent to limit the hitch et al, but many many teams still just do not have the talent to cover regardless of defensive coverage
-way way too many rules to counter deficiencies
not sure what is typical for league passing

-rushing is easier, passing more difficult (harder to build a passing first team)
-speed maybe somewhat less critical and seems players with less speed are viable
but some plays I've seen WR do a lot of stopping go for lunch, for why I do not know, then continuing
-if you have invested in a top Oline it will make a difference
-you can have an occasion scramble but I do not know if that correlates specifically to the QB ability or if that will only determine the scramble gain (or no) but it is nice to see
-league have less or no rules which is easier to manage

I do not know how often 4.6 has been tweaked as I don't know where a change log is found but my understanding was that this is a beta league and subject to more changes to move the game forward. If this poll is to determine whether this version should be the mainstream, indicating that there are no more changes coming then I would prefer to wait and continue with the beta while working to improve the identified deficiencies. If the 4.6 beta is to be mainstream with no more changes coming then I am personally undecided but would likely lean just slightly to 4.6 not because it is so much better overall but because the unrealistic passing has been removed.

*Oh edit to add the point: if you fall behind in 4.6 good luck. Come from behind is tougher
Long passing is in need of attention
Last edited at 9/16/2021 9:43 pm

By raymattison21
9/16/2021 8:15 pm
Bad stats

4.6 = good luck getting a 4000+ yards passer
4.5 = 8 sacks with one guy in one game , block 8 punts in one game

Those 4.5 are clearly worse but I guess it up opinion

Man the pointless threads when 4.5 came out. It’s on repeat here but again if I had to choose again I would push for the new code

By raymattison21
9/20/2021 6:10 am
6 to 3!

Let’s get more pass yards on average and push this thing through. Almost 10 votes! And the majority speaks but all jokes aside can you make some final tweaks (to up passing, especially to the outside receivers) so less will complain about low passing. Loanblood said the 4.6 RO league is down 1000 yards and 10 tds from the 4.5 RO league. Just being hopeful here but could some easy tweaks ( minimal work from you) push the RO s numbers up? If not that’s ok too. Thanks!

Ps. If the target is too far from the QB he just won’t throw it . QBs rarely stretch the field and ints are still too high!

By raymattison21
9/20/2021 6:41 am
raymattison21 wrote:
6 to 3!

Let’s get more pass yards on average and push this thing through. Almost 10 votes! And the majority speaks but all jokes aside can you make some final tweaks (to up passing, especially to the outside receivers) so less will complain about low passing. Loanblood said the 4.6 RO league is down 1000 yards and 10 tds from the 4.5 RO league. Just being hopeful here but could some easy tweaks ( minimal work from you) push the RO s numbers up? If not that’s ok too. Thanks!

Ps. If the target is too far from the QB he just won’t throw it . QBs rarely stretch the field and ints are still too high!

Actually this years nfl wr production is coming from the slot receivers as well. Cupp, Lockett, and Samuel all are leading the league in yards so perhaps the current code is on to something and the outside can be improved at another time. Just get us more passing yards and less interceptions and push it through!