NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Phantom Playbook

By nero
9/18/2013 3:43 am
Since the 2nd to last update my team hasn't been running my playbook at all and it's basically castrated my offense.

In the running game I had an 80/20 split set up for outside/inside runs prior to this game but was seeing a 50/50 split. So for this game I removed *all* inside runs yet I still saw quite a few of them, mostly in bunches.

In the pass game, somehow as more changes come to the engine the less my QB is throwing to our top 2 wideouts. Are there any causes that you think of for this?

Oh..and tipped passes, I had 11 of mine tipped this game including two that were tipped twice. Something is still a bit over the top on this.

Re: Phantom Playbook

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
9/18/2013 6:49 am
nero wrote:
Since the 2nd to last update my team hasn't been running my playbook at all and it's basically castrated my offense.

In the running game I had an 80/20 split set up for outside/inside runs prior to this game but was seeing a 50/50 split. So for this game I removed *all* inside runs yet I still saw quite a few of them, mostly in bunches.

In the pass game, somehow as more changes come to the engine the less my QB is throwing to our top 2 wideouts. Are there any causes that you think of for this?

Oh..and tipped passes, I had 11 of mine tipped this game including two that were tipped twice. Something is still a bit over the top on this.

Nothing has changed to the play calling algorithm, the knock-downs did increase especially when the QB throws into traffic. For the QB throwing to different receivers, the algorithm for that hasn't changed, it chooses progression based on weighing each route by distance and order of WR depth chart. But if a WR isn't open the QB may not throw to him, which could just be a matter of your #1 WR being covered well.

By nero
9/18/2013 6:56 am
jdavidbakr wrote:
nero wrote:

Nothing has changed to the play calling algorithm, the knock-downs did increase especially when the QB throws into traffic. For the QB throwing to different receivers, the algorithm for that hasn't changed, it chooses progression based on weighing each route by distance and order of WR depth chart. But if a WR isn't open the QB may not throw to him, which could just be a matter of your #1 WR being covered well.

Fair enough..how do you explain the inside runs when not a single one is in gameplan?

9/18/2013 6:58 am
nero wrote:
Fair enough..how do you explain the inside runs when not a single one is in gameplan?

I'll have to look at your game plan and see if any plays were called that were not in it, that shouldn't happen.

By nero
9/18/2013 8:19 am
I just picked up on a couple of things in my Gameplan...

1) My Distance Adjustment Speed was reset to 20, I've always had it at 45.
2) For some reason removing the inside run plays didn't work last sim, they were again selected.

9/18/2013 8:48 am
nero wrote:
I just picked up on a couple of things in my Gameplan...

1) My Distance Adjustment Speed was reset to 20, I've always had it at 45.
2) For some reason removing the inside run plays didn't work last sim, they were again selected.

Ok, that's telling. Let me dig around a little bit, let me know if you have a similar experience on the next game.

By Firefly
9/27/2013 7:45 am
My gameplan was changed today, as well. Plays that weren't selected got selected, I don't what else was changed, if anything

9/27/2013 7:48 am
Firefly wrote:
My gameplan was changed today, as well. Plays that weren't selected got selected, I don't what else was changed, if anything

I'll check more deeply - between all of you reporting similar issues it does seem to imply that there might be an issue with the AI gameplan trigger.

By nero
9/27/2013 7:50 am
Ah..so just me reporting it isn't enough for you?

9/27/2013 11:05 am
Nero & Zoot, I think you may have your gameplan adjustment speed too high. The default is just 5 - the higher the value, the more likely your team is going to use more medium and long situation plays if you are doing poorly or go to more short yardage plays if you are doing well (checking Zoot's game log I see his game started with some very short running plays, which combined with a higher adjustment speed will send him into passing situations with shorter and shorter distance to go. Miami on the other hand had several long plays to start the game, which probably sent your gameplan into using more short yardage plays).

FF, I checked your playbook 3 minutes before the sim ran and compared it to your current playbook and it is identical - which, if you had made changes to it that you don't see now, makes me wonder if it's saving. Could you do me a favor and go back to the home page after setting your gameplan, then back to the game planning screen, and make sure the plays stuck?

I did verify that no one had their game plan AI'd this week.