NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

2019 playoffs

By Davesgang
11/01/2014 3:48 am
GG Houston
I thought we were done after throwing that second int. Just managed to make it to over time however. Good game and congratulations on a great season.

Re: 2019 playoffs

By Firefly
11/01/2014 9:38 am
The story of the game was the Steelers decided not to punt in this game and went for it on 4th down from whatever distance and field position. The first three 4th downs were converted and turned into TDs. The next two failed, but one resulted in a long interception that served as a punt.

The real story, however, was Calvillo, who had nearly 400 yards and 4 TDs... in the first half. He more than made up for an abysmal showing last week against Indy that cost us the bye week.

GG Baltimore, you've done a good job but today it was just dice rolls

*bug report* Not content with injuring my punter, the AI decided to have my center attempt some FGs and XPs. Not even consecutive kicks. Makes no sense.

Re: 2019 playoffs

By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
11/01/2014 2:05 pm
Firefly wrote:
The story of the game was the Steelers decided not to punt in this game and went for it on 4th down from whatever distance and field position. The first three 4th downs were converted and turned into TDs. The next two failed, but one resulted in a long interception that served as a punt.

The real story, however, was Calvillo, who had nearly 400 yards and 4 TDs... in the first half. He more than made up for an abysmal showing last week against Indy that cost us the bye week.

GG Baltimore, you've done a good job but today it was just dice rolls

*bug report* Not content with injuring my punter, the AI decided to have my center attempt some FGs and XPs. Not even consecutive kicks. Makes no sense.


I did a quick check and your kicker was selected as the holder on those plays - probably because your inactive punter was your holder in your depth chart?

I read recently (I think it was Football Outsiders) that NFL teams should go for it on 4th down a lot more than they do because the cost/reward equation really favors going for it when most teams punt, but NFL coaches will never be that liberal because of the fear of it backfiring. Sounds like you may have just added to that evidence. I suspect you're now going to keep those settings throughout the playoffs :-)

Re: 2019 playoffs

By Firefly
11/01/2014 2:10 pm
jdavidbakr wrote:
Firefly wrote:
The story of the game was the Steelers decided not to punt in this game and went for it on 4th down from whatever distance and field position. The first three 4th downs were converted and turned into TDs. The next two failed, but one resulted in a long interception that served as a punt.

The real story, however, was Calvillo, who had nearly 400 yards and 4 TDs... in the first half. He more than made up for an abysmal showing last week against Indy that cost us the bye week.

GG Baltimore, you've done a good job but today it was just dice rolls

*bug report* Not content with injuring my punter, the AI decided to have my center attempt some FGs and XPs. Not even consecutive kicks. Makes no sense.


I did a quick check and your kicker was selected as the holder on those plays - probably because your inactive punter was your holder in your depth chart?

I read recently (I think it was Football Outsiders) that NFL teams should go for it on 4th down a lot more than they do because the cost/reward equation really favors going for it when most teams punt, but NFL coaches will never be that liberal because of the fear of it backfiring. Sounds like you may have just added to that evidence. I suspect you're now going to keep those settings throughout the playoffs :-)


Ha! You know me too well. Yes, I've heard of that research too and I was curious to see if it would translate. I may have to make some adjustments, however, I didn't like going for it on 4th and 20 from my own 5 :)

The thing about the holder makes perfect sense. In fact, I should go and check it now!

Re: 2019 playoffs

By Firefly
11/04/2014 9:06 am
The strategy didn't work as well today, leading to more points by the Colts than ours. We'll need to polish the rules a bit, too. The real killer, however, was an 80-yard pass in the 4th quarter on the first play after we'd cut the lead to two.

GG Indy

*bug* The 4th down stats in the box score don't work at all

Re: 2019 playoffs

By Davesgang
11/04/2014 11:18 am
GG New Jersey

I was hoping for a repeat of our regular season game.
Those two sweep plays absolutely crushed the Chargers.

Re: 2019 playoffs

By chinaski
11/04/2014 11:31 am
Our passing offense and defense showed up for once as we roll the Panthers. GG Carolina!

Re: 2019 playoffs

By Tecra031
11/04/2014 12:10 pm
Davesgang wrote:
GG New Jersey

I was hoping for a repeat of our regular season game.
Those two sweep plays absolutely crushed the Chargers.


GG SD,

The first qtr was very tight and was worried. Luckily we were able to pull away and get some timely INTs to seal it for us.

Re: 2019 playoffs

By Wolfpack
11/04/2014 2:08 pm
chinaski wrote:
Our passing offense and defense showed up for once as we roll the Panthers. GG Carolina!


You got to our QB and he had a poor day at the office for sure. Your QB had a great day and was deadly. The running game is BS with the sweep every play but I knew that was coming clearly.

Re: 2019 playoffs

By chinaski
11/06/2014 2:27 am
GG Leo. I knew you figured out how to stop the sweep, so I was hoping for the best. We had a shot but stupid AI decisions stripped us of a chance. No mention of our kicker being hurt, yet our punter comes on for a xp and misses? Then were down 9 with 6 to play and we go for an onside? So many wtfs in this game, pretty frustrating, but we were due for a loss and you deserved to win it. GL in the bowl.