NOTICE: This league is using the BLEEDING EDGE game engine. For more information, click here.

The draft is underway!

Click here to go to your war room, or visit the war room item in the draft menu.

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Completed Trade: Cincinnati and Kansas City

By WarEagle
2/05/2016 6:00 am
Mr.Krazy wrote:
WarEagle wrote:
Mr.Krazy wrote:
What if he were to leave this team after this season so another owner that becomes the new owner for Cinci would have to deal with the cap **** for seasons to come?

If you take over a team without first looking at their cap situation / roster / draft picks, and then find out the team is in bad shape, it's your own fault.

You should look at that BEFORE you "become owner".

I'm talking about new owner's coming into the league too, some new people just look at a team they want say there favorite team is Cincinnati so they chose that team without realizing the cap issue. which brings me to my next point that the tutorial should highlight on that for new owners so they don't make that mistake

I've suggested numerous times that when you click the "become owner" button, a message pops up asking "are you sure?". "Have you reviewed this team's roster / cap / draft pick situation?"

I think that would help to remind owners, especially new owners, that these items are worth consideration when deciding if you want to take over a team.

By jsid
2/05/2016 9:16 am
The whole "what about a new owner picking up a team in bad shape with cap" concern has never concerned me at all for two reasons - 1) It's so easy to fix in one season and 2) I've never actually heard a new owner complain about this.

By jsid
2/16/2016 8:57 pm
I'm gonna bump this up because I realized something else about this trade. If you look at the contract, it scales up like crazy at the tail end of the contract. There is no chance that the owner who proposed the contract ever had no intention of ever paying that, and will not face any repercussions for it. So why did our resident expert in doing shifty things do this? Since players are slightly incentivized by non-guaranteed money, it increases his chances of winning the signing.

Basically, the current system is accidentally rigged in favor of people with huge amount of cap space willing to sign a player and immediately trade the player. Someone who wants to actually sign and play this player can't compete with this contract offer. It's not a viable option. The trade is a nice workaround so that the new team can renegotiate the bad contract and the original owner has to deal with the cap consequences for one season.

I see two ways to fix this: 1) The cap hit doesn't hit all happen the next season, but follows the timing of the contract. I don't understand why it hits all in the next year right now anyway. An unexpected retirement can blow up a well managed cap, but owners can pull things like this sign and trade and wash their hands of it in a season. I understand poor owners can wreck teams for a few seasons.

2) Cap season to season salary increases. Make the window 5%-10% increases in salary each year, or just freeze it at 5%.